Marquis Berkshire motorhome update (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here is the latest in my saga about a motorhome purchased from Marquis Berkshire that I still don't have after seven weeks.

Firstly, am I doing this right by starting a new post each time there's a substantial update to the story? If feel that things could be missed by forum browsers if I just kept adding to the original post - and the thread would be multiple pages long by now and a tad confusing with all the replies, quotes and off-on-a-tangent comments.

First thing this morning I rocked up at the dealership with the documentation and proof I apparently needed to satisfy their anti-laundering 'policy', even though I just want the money paid back into the account it was paid from. There's surely not much of an opportunity to launder money by doing that! Still, I had the necessary and wanted to do it in person to avoid any further excuses. At this point I have lost all confidence in Marquis because of the delays and less than transparent information I had (not) received about the fact I would have to wait an indefinitely number of weeks to take collection, even once I'd paid for my van.

I met with the new Sales Manager since the original guy who sold me the van had left.

I said that as well as the remainder £75.5k refund, I also wanted a return of the £3000 deposit and to cancel the sale altogether. I told him that had I been told on my initial enquiries about the vehicle that I would still be waiting for it with no idea of an actual date of collection by October, I would have never gone ahead with the order.

New Sales Manager blew cold on my deposit refund and said Marquis has things in its contract to 'protect itself'. I told him that I wanted him to call head office to instigate the process of refund there and then and he flat out refused to do that. He said that there is a process that must be followed and he would be doing it later today. I stayed very calm (no voice raising etc.) but he was actually hostile to me, telling me I wasn't listening to him. Given the way I have been treated, any professional person would let me have my say but he just didn't want to listen to me and got up and walked away several times while I was explaining the situation and saying how unsatisfactory it all was.

I'm going to get stick from people in this forum but I left him with the details and he said that he would be back in touch later today or by 'first thing' tomorrow morning. When I pressed him on what he meant by first thing he got really shirty and said 'first thing means 10am because we don't open until 9am'.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people would've chained themselves to the desk or refused to budge but I'm just not like that. With his assurance that he would sort it out and would speak to him director about the deposit refund, I left. I was red of face and fuming inside and it felt like leaving the headmaster's office. I'm subsequently annoyed with myself that I left but there you are.

I wrote a long and formal complaint which included everything that had happened, with date etc. and sent it via their website. Part of my complaint was now about the attitude of New Sales Manager (NSM) and, ridiculously, the Marquis website provides no details of where to send the complaint, stating only that you should email it to your local branch who would forward it on. I called NSM and asked him to give me direct contact details. He resolutely refused to do so. When I asked why he said it was because the process has to be followed. It seems obvious that Marquis is structured in such a way as to protect their head office directly wherever possible.

I sent him my complaint and used their online form to also forward it to the Head Office option in the dropdown menu. No actual email address or telephone available.

This afternoon I have been called by the company Sales Directory. He was much more calm and professional, even though all he did was explain the situation again despite the fact I am very aware of it by now and told him so.

Just in case I've not made it clear, here it is in a very brief nutshell.

Marquis needs a code from Stellanis. They then provide that code to the DVLA who issue the V55 on the vehicle which means they can they register it formally to me and it becomes road legal. Stellanis are not delivering that code despite 'numerous requests'. Sales Director guy told me what NSM and others have told me previously, that the 'big guns' of the company are now involved in trying to get this code from Stellantis.

Of course, at this point I couldn't really give a monkey's. I've had enough of dealing with Marquis and do not wish to give them any more of my custom. I have explained that I want to cancel the whole thing and have a refund of my deposit as well.

+ 10 minute pause +

That pause is because as I am writing, I've had a call from the Assistant Manager from Marquis. He has again explained the situation and was another level up again in professionalism and politeness. At this point I am convinced that this is as much a frustration for them as it is for me. I think it's a inexcusable way to run a business (to sell something you can't necessarily provide) so I'm not excusing that, but I do believe given we are where we are that they are doing what they can to progress things.

Apparently every other company they deal with has an online system in place but Stellantis still conduct business by paperwork in the post. That's not my problem, obviously. Every person I have spoken to at Marquis has told me they are all aware of the delays with Stellantis and THAT is my single gripe.

To repeat it again, nobody at any time warned me there could be a delay. Even if it didn't happen all the time with Stellantis, it happens enough that it's a known issue within the company and I should have been told that I could be waiting an indefinite time for my vehicle. That was never mentioned until after everything was paid and I had a date to collect it, which was then cancelled. At best that's negligent, at worst it might be described as a bit shady. The bottom line is that I would never have gone ahead with the sale had I known I would still be waiting in October, still without hint of an actual date.

I now have promises right up the line - from the branch manager to the company sales manager to the company assistant managing director (assistant to the managing director ;) - joke) that they will all get back to me tomorrow with details of my refund.

Is this situation ideal? No. Far from it. Am I doing what I personally am able to do? Yes.

What I hope will be a final update will follow.

OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
What I'm amazed at with this situation is that Marquis haven't just turned around, apologised and offered a full refund. They should know this is not an acceptable situation and it isn't good for their reputation.

Have you told them you have being talking about this online with many potential motorhome customers?
Well, I wanted to keep my powder dry for now, with the thought being if I'm all guns ablaze they won't have much of threat over them, but I did end my major complaint today with the following:

Without a satisfactory conclusion to this debacle, I am prepared to take many further steps to reclaim my money and to warn others, based on my experience and with a full and honest description of what I have been through, what to expect if they choose to engage in business with Marquis.

I'm sure this is what earned me a call from the group Assistant MD earlier, all full of apology and explanation. He asked me what they could do to keep my custom. I suppose I could've suggested various kick-backs and perks but, to be honest, I just want rid.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Probably they are trying to rustle up the cash as not many firms can take near on £80k out in one go without it causing issues….

Upvote 0

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
If you look on companies house website you should be able to get the email address of Marquis' C E O and the Financial Director , It may pay you to drop them an email, also have you thought of going to the press

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Is it just possible they have others interested in buying it and they could make a bigger profit?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I had a call from the Assistant Managing Director of the company. He seemed confident that I was entitled to a full refund, including deposit, because - as you point out - I paid the deposit way over 30 days ago and don't have the goods.
I know I am sometimes naïve and tend to see the positive side of people all the time, something that has bothered me my entire life, but it does feel like it will be resolved positively tomorrow.
Of course, I'll be right back to square one on van quest but I'll have to embrace that.
Admittedly, but the warm glow of having got your money back will help get you through the wi ter, which is also the best time to find a bargain.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hi. The vehicle itself isn't registered and so cannot be driven - even on trade plates. It was delivered to the dealership on a transporter.
I'm sure someone in the motor trade can confirm you have been lied to yet again.

As far as I'm aware you can drive almost anything on trade plates, as long as it's no danger to other road users, from half built lorries out of the factory with no bodies or cab, to MOT failures.

It would appear that the policy from Marquis is to lie and lie again.

If you remember I strongly suggested you have the low loader arrive at Marquis Berkshire at 15h00 today if no money was in the bank.

Marquis Berkshire obviously have some very serious cash flow problems, I expect the Receivers are already close to being put in place by the banks.

Therefore I'd strongly suggest you get your motorhome off their forecourt ASAP, because once the Receivers take over it will be many many months before you see even a percentage of your money back.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm sure someone in the motor trade can confirm you have been lied to yet again.

As far as I'm aware you can drive almost anything on trade plates, as long as it's no danger to other road users, from half built lorries out of the factory with no bodies or cab, to MOT failures.

It would appear that the policy from Marquis is to lie and lie again.

If you remember I strongly suggested you have the low loader arrive at Marquis Berkshire at 15h00 today if no money was in the bank.

Marquis Berkshire obviously have some very serious cash flow problems, I expect the Receivers are already close to being put in place by the banks.

Therefore I'd strongly suggest you get your motorhome off their forecourt ASAP, because once the Receivers take over it will be many many months before you see even a percentage of your money back.
Yes. At least take the keys until they refund you.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Marquis needs a code from Stellanis. They then provide that code to the DVLA who issue the V55 on the vehicle which means they can they register it formally to me and it becomes road legal.
What a load of bollocks, all they need to register it is the Certificate of Conformity which should be supplied with the vehicle and not by Stellanis as that one is irrelevant it is the converters C of C you need to register.

I've imported 3 vans and registered them myself, never heard such a load of codswallop.

Just more lies like they lied about driving on trade plates.

I'm surprised you didn't lump the NSM.

I hate to say but it does sound like they are about to go bump.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
I hate to say but it does sound like they are about to go bump.

I don't fully understand accounts, but there are some VERY big numbers in the right places in the accounts (assuming I've got the right people lol.)

Nearly £35million in the bank end 2022. £7.75million profit after tax...

Still think fancy new motorhomes cost what you (not you Lenny - everyone) paid?

OP - good luck tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_4009.jpeg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't fully understand accounts, but there are some VERY big numbers in the right places in the accounts (assuming I've got the right people lol.)

OP - good luck tomorrow.
That is good news for the OP.

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015

OP - good luck tomorrow.
It seems the directors have the company chopped into many segments, is this where the van is?

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I had a call from the Assistant Managing Director of the company. He seemed confident that I was entitled to a full refund, including deposit, because - as you point out - I paid the deposit way over 30 days ago and don't have the goods.
I know I am sometimes naïve and tend to see the positive side of people all the time, something that has bothered me my entire life, but it does feel like it will be resolved positively tomorrow.
Of course, I'll be right back to square one on van quest but I'll have to embrace that.

I admire your determination but I’d still be sitting there now in the dark in their showroom, but it is easy for us to say on here… real life is another thing, my first motorhome was taken back by the police after the first month because the dealer sold me a stolen motorhome… now it may of only, huh I say only be £16k but that was my private pension gone I didn’t see a penny back and only got little satisfaction that he spent 3 months in butlins, (jail)… now I could have gone to prison myself for what I’d like to have done to him but then that makes me similar to him and I’m better then that….😉

I hope you do get your money back tomorrow but I’m still cynical of these businesses and like I’ve said before once you do get it come on here and tell us what you like and want and believe me we will find you it…🍻

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Sorry 75k no way in hell would I handed that over, small deposit only.

Do you have legal cover on your home insurance if so ask them for advice or did you pay via a bank card anything over £100.00.

Me baseball bat comes to mind.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
If this get to the point you need to go legal, might be worth checking your house insurance to see if it covers this, mine does.

worth checking.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
It seems the directors have the company chopped into many segments, is this where the van is?

That's a dormant company. It's all a bit weird, but I don't think unusual.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

OP - good luck tomorrow.
Yes but that is the parent owner of Marquis Motorhomes LIMITED

the Berkshire one(and a load of others) is a non limited company, quite possibly nowt to do with them or at least maybe a franchise, called Marquis Motorhomes and Caravans that say has no other linked businesses
1696279503598.png

1696279580645.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
then here are all the other "Marquis" None of which are registered limited companies

1696279650992.png

1696279672043.png

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Tombola

Has:

Auto-Sleepers Group Ltd T/A Marquis Leisure
Registered office: Orchard Works, Willersey, Nr Broadway, Worcs WR12 7QF United Kingdom
Registered in England & Wales No. 3978237.

At the bottom of the page. Who knows.....

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Was there a guy for quite a few years always outside the Motorhome show up Birmingham with a big placard saying never buy from Marquis?

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Tombola

Has:

Auto-Sleepers Group Ltd T/A Marquis Leisure
Registered office: Orchard Works, Willersey, Nr Broadway, Worcs WR12 7QF United Kingdom
Registered in England & Wales No. 3978237.

At the bottom of the page. Who knows.....
hmmm Yeah I see now, so whats the deal are all the other Franchised? so ultimately still only standing on their own 2 feet when debts are concerned.

still very dodgy for me,

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back