Marine Toilet (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Most RV's have black and grey holding tanks, and many have a tank flush system.
My trailer has a 45 usg black tank (toilet) a 40 usg grey tank for the shower/ wash basin, and another 40 usg grey tank for the kitchen.
When time to empty, use a suitable hose/macerator, empty the black tank first, flush with fresh water, then empty the grey tanks, this will clean the hose/macerator and wash the effluent down the drain. Simple.

Craig

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You can get an adapter / flange that fits directly onto the gate valve on the tank that the standard thetford cassette slides onto. This means that if your holding tank holds 60 litres you can use a standard cassette to slide onto the flange and decant it of 3 - 4 times.
This means no pipes or hoses its just like the normal toilet and you can empty into any outlet even if you are nowhere near a manhole etc

Neil

That assumes that the valve will be sticking down below the bodywork? Or that it is sited in an area clear enough to slide on & hold a cassette in the air ? Not possible to do on mine as slide valve is well above the side bodywork.

How do you know when tank is full...BUSBY.

It doesn't go down ! :D

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
How do you know when tank is full...BUSBY.
We just look down the hole when we flush. If we can see water it's getting full.

Our black tank is about 40 litres so not massive but does mean I get the time to decide when I want to empty it rather than the cassette that HAD to be emptied daily

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a black tank on our Concorde, no roof vent and no smell from tanks or hoses.

We have never decanted this tank into any vessel in 8 years. Just drive over mh service point and open valve.

170 lt tank lasts about a week.

System made by Dometic.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
We have a black tank on our Concorde
Just drive over mh service point and open valve.

This is gonna sound a pretty silly question but I thought the drive over drains were just for grey waste not black????
I guess that only having a cassette to empty in the past meant I only ever needed the drive over for our grey waste- so now I have a black tank, I can dump that too???

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
One additional point is that most of the marine toilets installed in Yankee or Euro motorhomes incorporate a macertor of sorts which ensures that the tank only containsonly a slurry making emptying easier.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Also as a supplementary; my US RV, like all of them, has a large bayonet fitting pipe connection onto which I can attach a macerator pump, which can allow me to discharge up to well over 100 ft away with a 1 inch hose, as other posters with RV's have stated. Does anyone with a European fixed tank, which usualy have smaller discharge pipes, 1-2 inches typically, use a macerator pump or similar to pump the tanks to a distant point or uphill even and avoid having to drive to a gravity dump point? If so what units do you use?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is gonna sound a pretty silly question but I thought the drive over drains were just for grey waste not black????
I guess that only having a cassette to empty in the past meant I only ever needed the drive over for our grey waste- so now I have a black tank, I can dump that too???

No, most drive over motorhome service points are for grey water only.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No there are slotted drains, normally, for grey waste & then there are manhole /septic tank for black.
Not everywhere has them though.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was going to post about my poo dumping snobbery yesterday.

I am at Silves and watch with a smug, self satisfied smile on my face as I watch almost every man wheeling a cassette off to the manhole almost every day.

Some use their bicycles. Some cassettes have wheels fitted and are pulled along. Some are put on sack truck type thingies and some are just carried by hand.

Back and forwards they go as I just sit and watch.

I have a holding tank.

Once every three or four weeks I drive over an opened manhole, pull a slide.

All done in a minute or two.

I have used cassettes for years.

I have used an Aqua Magic 5 with a holding tank for years.

I know which is far, far the best system for me.

Holding tanks ROOL.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I was going to post about my poo dumping snobbery yesterday.

I am at Silves and watch with a smug, self satisfied smile on my face as I watch almost every man wheeling a cassette off to the manhole almost every day.

Some use their bicycles. Some cassettes have wheels fitted and are pulled along. Some are put on sack truck type thingies and some are just carried by hand.

Back and forwards they go as I just sit and watch.

I have a holding tank.

Once every three or four weeks I drive over an opened manhole, pull a slide.

All done in a minute or two.

I have used cassettes for years.

I have used an Aqua Magic 5 with a holding tank for years.

I know which is far, far the best system for me.

Holding tanks ROOL.

JJ :cool:

You must have an RV to last that long. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back