Manufacturers Breakdown Cover for New Vehicles (1 Viewer)

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
In September 2011, we bought a brand new Autocruise Alto, van conversion, based upon a Peugeot chassis.

It came with one years breakdown cover, managed and operated by the AA on behalf of Peugeot.

It was by luck that we discovered that the breakdown cover, provided by Peugeot, only covered Peugeot related failures. For example, engine, gearbox, transmission, suspension, chassis, etc., failures.

We were shocked to learn that the vehicle was not covered for NON - Peugeot failures. For example, puncture, blowout, misfueling, lost keys, etc.

We were heading for Spain via France and if, for example, we were to suffer a blowout on the autoroute, we would have to pay the autoroute people for recovery without being able to claim the cost back from the AA or Peugeot.

After numerous phone calls to the AA and Peugeot customer care we found that by paying the AA £20 we would be covered for Peugeot non-related failures too.

We have since sold the Autocruise in favour of a Fiat based motorhome and I was pleased to establish that the Fiat breakdown cover includes non-Fiat related failures without extra payment being required.

If you have a new Peugeot based vehicle and are relying on the breakdown cover provided by Peugeot/AA, please double check the terms of the cover.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
And I would NOt reply on that either...

We had a new van that was covered by Fiat, trying to get any assistance while broken down in Spain was a nightmare. Luckily we had cover with Safeguard on our van insurance.. They soon got us sorted...

Fiat may have improved as it was a few years ago but I always feel more comfortable having the insurance supplied breakdown...

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I agree absolutely!

We also have Britannia breakdown cover too, although our new Fiat is covered by the manufacturer.

Can't be too careful, that why I wrote this thread. There must be people out there who are relying on the manufacturers cover, not knowing that the breakdown cover that they have does'nt cover some things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We had a similar problem with our Renault based Adria A class in 2007. Renault did all they could to wiggle out the manufacturers warranty when the air con compressor / motor failed- a mega expensive repair on the basis that the Renault based chassis had been "registered" as sold by Renault,years beforehand, to the convertors and the warranty had allegedly "expired" by the time the NEWvan was purchased :Eeek: Not quite the same as the non cover of base vehicle issues I know, but also an important point to check on! We got it sorted in the end, but it was a major hassle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back