Mandatory hab check for Carthagos' next year warranty? (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I was quoted £170 for the ingress test. Having had a two year old Burstner which had a 70% damp reading around the hab door (Burstner failed to seal an awning mount) I’m aware of the importance of a check. Another £210 for the hab check is just ridiculous.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I never had water ingress check done on my vans. At these prices if the manufacturer sealed them correctly they would not leak or need to be checked.
I’m sure I could find a leak or possible leak with a damp meter a couple of times a year

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm also rolling the dice. The cost of the checks, plus diesel, and that I won't be earning that day, adds up to a lot over 10 years. For something that's not likely to be an issue.
My decision is also swayed by the fact I have a Geist. It's got a good European warranty and appears well built, so I've got reasonable confidence in the structure. But I'm not sure that they'll be a UK dealer that'll honour the warranty in a few years time...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
One good thing with Autotrail is how easy it is to get parts also I like the layout of British vans and they also cost half as much as a Carthargo 🙂
So when you trading it in for one then steve :rofl: :rofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny HB £169.90 inc vat for the water ingress test at Camper U.K.
Expensive just for a quick look round.
How come you don't get it done in Germany you are always there?
And £380 for a hab and ingress test which they are saying is mandatory. Still under discussion!
Hab check never been needed for warranty.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
And £380 for a hab and ingress test which they are saying is mandatory. Still under discussion!
Mines 7 yr old with no warranty to worry about but I don’t mind the ingress check, I’m a big believer of nipping anything in the bud before it gets expensive 👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

Never give it a thought but to be fair I’m only on a two week trip, you know, work n all🤷🏼‍♂️😤😤😤

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
So when you trading it in for one then steve :rofl: :rofl:
Not just yet Ady but my point being they should be better costing twice as much and the CBE panels are dyer but I have now found a repairer close by that has managed to repair two.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014

That’s what I keep telling them!

Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
We had a bit of dampness on our Hymer garage door. Certainly not noticeable to the naked eye, but picked up on annual hab check. That was a relatively quick and cheap repair, but had it not been picked up, could have become a whole door issue. I'm a big fan of Hymer/Carthago construction, but it is very easy for a mastick seal to leak and cause havoc. Worth paying for a check annually in my mind, not necessarily at expensive dealer rates, but a good local hab check is worth doing.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We had a bit of dampness on our Hymer garage door. Certainly not noticeable to the naked eye, but picked up on annual hab check. That was a relatively quick and cheap repair, but had it not been picked up, could have become a whole door issue. I'm a big fan of Hymer/Carthago construction, but it is very easy for a mastick seal to leak and cause havoc. Worth paying for a check annually in my mind, not necessarily at expensive dealer rates, but a good local hab check is worth doing.
Surely it shouldn’t cause havoc, that’s the whole concept of the construction?

Nov 11, 2021
Hilton Road, Fenstanton, Huntingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50
Exp
Since 2009.
I have a 2017 Carthago E- Line, I was never told about the 3 month free damp check. I had it carried out at the first service, with hab check. Since then just te 2 yearly fiat service. The rest I do myself and many problems have occurred. Carthago customer service is terrible, I am currently in Spain with electrical problems.
I have contacted Carthago for a wiring diagram, no response. The only time they responded to me, was for an incorrect weight plate. I had to tell them I was stopped by the police, to get any response then.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have a 2017 Carthago E- Line, I was never told about the 3 month free damp check. I had it carried out at the first service, with hab check. Since then just te 2 yearly fiat service. The rest I do myself and many problems have occurred. Carthago customer service is terrible, I am currently in Spain with electrical problems.
I have contacted Carthago for a wiring diagram, no response. The only time they responded to me, was for an incorrect weight plate. I had to tell them I was stopped by the police, to get any response then.
I have posted a wiring diagram on the Carthago owners site under technical it’s for an S plus but mostly the same as eline.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
On both of my Carthago‘s I have had the hab done for the first two years and then just the damp will be done for the remaining 8 years.
I look at it, if they find anything in the hab checks it’ll be sorted under warranty and if the factory see that it has had the habs done and if anything fails at say 3 yrs it may help the claim. £100k + on a van, I can’t see the problem with spending an extra few quid.
It‘s a bit like the mpg debates.

Jun 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer I
If anything, it’s a derisory warranty in the first place.
I wonder if our UK merchantable quality aspect of law would put pay to Carthago taking the P?

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
Well we have had two Carthago vans and their customer service is Shite even worse than Hymer,
So when your in a position to coment on it I will listen to your view, until then, you have little to no experience on the brand,
If you ever get one 🤣
Had 2 x Hymer, 2 x Carthago and have another Carthago on order. Customer service generally on motorhomes regardless of brand leaves a lot to be desired.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back