Manchester Airport Pick Up Advice (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2016
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 145
Exp
Newbie Scoobies
We are due to pick up my Sister from Manchester T2 on Sunday afternoon. We only have capability to do so in our 3M H X 6.3M L MoHo. Does anyone have any advice. We are thinking that we may need to "hold off" somewhere close and get a taxi in. Any thoughts much appreciated.... R & T

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are due to pick up my Sister from Manchester T2 on Sunday afternoon. We only have capability to do so in our 3M H X 6.3M L MoHo. Does anyone have any advice. We are thinking that we may need to "hold off" somewhere close and get a taxi in. Any thoughts much appreciated.... R & T
Wait outside somewhere, get her to go to drop off and ring you, then nip in and load up and away.
Don't say I told you though;)
You can do the same outside the hotel as well.
But don't hang about.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you go on google maps and select the street view, you can do a virtual tour and drive through of the airport (y)
My way of doing would be to park 10 mins away from airport, let your sister get out the airport and then call you. A cheeky way to avoid the busy arrivals is ask her to walk to the arrivals drop off. Then drive in there and pick her up :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you go on google maps and select the street view, you can do a virtual tour and drive through of the airport (y)
My way of doing would be to park 10 mins away from airport, let your sister get out the airport and then call you. A cheeky way to avoid the busy arrivals is ask her to walk to the arrivals drop off. Then drive in there and pick her up :)
Great minds:D
I have actually done it, but things may have changed now, and you can't do it if you have loads of luggage.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've just flown from Manchester skiing for a week. We drive and parked in the jet car parks and took the bus to the terminal but on return Allan went to get the car and I took the luggage to the departure drop off as it was much easier than lugging ski bags, etc on the bus. The airport police were chatting to me while I waited and had no problem that I was an arrival not departure.

So I'd get her to go to departures and pick her up there. It's easy with just a ramp, no barriers, etc You'll have to get the timings right though as it is policed to make sure you are not stopping more than a couple of minutes.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Get her to go to T3, call you when you she is outside and waiting in the pick-ip drop off.

T3 is a short walk from T2

It is Free to collect and drop off unlike the other collection areas where you are charged and its tight.
There are no height restrictions.
You can stop for a short time on the left or right in the pick up bays.
Busses can get through, so can motorhomes.
You might have to queue to get to pick up point at busy time.

Simple

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seems as if we all do it then, does no one get picked up at arrivals:D

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I park at Tedder Dr, Wythenshawe, Manchester M22 5UB
53.364253, -2.243956 it's where many of the airport taxis wait for their fares.

Have them telephone you on arrival. As stated above T3 is a good pick up point and is less than 5 mins from Tedder drive.

If you have internet access use link for advance notice of arrival or delays.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I park at Tedder Dr, Wythenshawe, Manchester M22 5UB
53.364253, -2.243956 it's where many of the airport taxis wait for their fares.

Have them telephone you on arrival. As stated above T3 is a good pick up point and is less than 5 mins from Tedder drive.

If you have internet access use link for advance notice of arrival or delays.

Yes, or you could park in the lay-by near styal prison or near moss lane

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I have a parachute for sale :whistle:

OP
OP
Richard and Tina Wilson
Sep 3, 2016
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 145
Exp
Newbie Scoobies
Yikesies.... I never expected so many people offering their advice in such a short time..... So many options to research now. Her's what I'm also having to consider for my best choice. Sis is a lot older than me and I hardly know her and is, at least, partially disabled and with a recently repaired hernia so may not be able to walk far with a luggage trolley to push. Perhaps I am old fashioned but I do like the idea that we might be in the arrivals line up to great her. This also brings to light that as she is travelling in from OZ and is a known technophobe, she may well not have easy access to a phone....

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Yikesies.... I never expected so many people offering their advice in such a short time..... So many options to research now. Her's what I'm also having to consider for my best choice. Sis is a lot older than me and I hardly know her and is, at least, partially disabled and with a recently repaired hernia so may not be able to walk far with a luggage trolley to push. Perhaps I am old fashioned but I do like the idea that we might be in the arrivals line up to great her. This also brings to light that as she is travelling in from OZ and is a known technophobe, she may well not have easy access to a phone....
I apologise for my last comment, meant to be funny, but appreciate not at this time:notworthy:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have used our 7m long 3m high MH to pick up there.

You need to park in Terminal 2 CP(open air no barriers) and walk to whichever terminal you need.

That was 2 years ago, so just call Airport Info to confirm no change.

Geoff

OP
OP
Richard and Tina Wilson
Sep 3, 2016
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 145
Exp
Newbie Scoobies
Indeed you are right Geoff... T2 still does have an open air car park. So thank you for that.

I believe I will "hold off" at Tedder Drive as suggested in an above comment and then await a shout from her to the pick up point. But, have the back up plan that I would proceed to the T2 open air car park only if absolutely necessary and I have to go searching for her. I am a tight fisted Yorkshireman after all and will hate it if I do have to park up and pay for it...

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Why not ask her to get the hire car bus out to "hire car village" you can wait there easily enough. Buses are free and it takes only a few mins.

OP
OP
Richard and Tina Wilson
Sep 3, 2016
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 145
Exp
Newbie Scoobies
I appreciate the extra suggestion.. I really do.... All ideas are warmly welcomed ... I don't think asking her to take the bus would work in this instance.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Now that Richard has got the necessary info we can let the thread drift a little maybe.

Back in the '70s when I was flying for BA, we did an evening flight Edinburgh-Manchester and I had a Stewardess girlfriend based there, who only lived a mile or two away in Heald Green. So, as soon as the passengers were boarding, I called her with our ETA, she put the supper on, drove to arrive at the (only) terminal 15 mins. after landing and we were sitting down to supper 15 mins. later.

Planning or what?:D

And she was a good........cook.

Geoff

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`m fairly sure there is a charge now for the open air T2 short stay carpark, (even for pickup`s)
Having said that, things change nearly every time I go there so might be worth checking

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Hi. Tell your sister to make her way to the station. When she's there get her to phone you. Drive into the front of the station and pick her up. Job's a good 'un. My mate picks me up in his Transporter,which I know is smaller than your MH,but we've never been challenged. No cost. Win win. Mike
Ps.....don't tell anyone I told you ;)

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Wait on one of the 2 BP garages, most of the taxis do and rarely get moved on as they go in and buy a costa coffee!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back