Malibu cracked Perspex window (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We’ve just found a couple of cracks and some smaller ones on the perspex window above the cab. Anyone had similar and know the likely cause? There are no impact marks to suggest we’ve hit anything. Have contacted our dealer so waiting for their comments.
1680936890445.jpeg
1680937101775.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They look like stress fractures so a warranty issue.

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Apparently this isn’t covered by warranty, told it expired after 2 years. More cracks have since appeared , so now waiting for the cost. Bearing in mind the dealer charges £120/hr this is going to hurt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apparently this isn’t covered by warranty, told it expired after 2 years. More cracks have since appeared , so now waiting for the cost. Bearing in mind the dealer charges £120/hr this is going to hurt.
The warranty could be irrelevant, if it's a known issue with these windows it should be covered regardless - perhaps do a good search of the internet and see if you can find anyone else with faulty windows like that, the more info you have the more ammo to use to get it fixed FOC.

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Thanks Minxy, have asked on FaceBook Carthago UK group. Also message direct to Malibu. I'm not in the Carthago owners club so don't have access to their FB page which is understandable. Will do some Googling.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Stone damage will be covered under windscreen insurance cover, just saying. :giggle:
Trouble is it'd have to have been pebble dashed for that amount of cracking! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Unless you are with LV which states glass only I believe.
Hopefully anyone buying a MH insurance policy would check the small print ... I do. :oops:

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Unfortunately the dealer will not cover this under warranty. Carthago are saying something must have caused it. So now waiting for a quote👎😟

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Had an interesting reply direct from the Malibu factory yesterday telling me that the cracks are likely to have been caused by the alcohol in the cleaning products. Apparently it has affected the plasticisers in the skylight and caused the cracks. We use Autoglym products and they do contain alcohol, but I’m very sceptical.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had an interesting reply direct from the Malibu factory yesterday telling me that the cracks are likely to have been caused by the alcohol in the cleaning products. Apparently it has affected the plasticisers in the skylight and caused the cracks. We use Autoglym products and they do contain alcohol, but I’m very sceptical.
A lot of plastics are very susceptible to alcohol cleaners. In the case of polycarbonate eye protectors a single clean with an alcohol cleaner can reduce the impact protection by half.

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
I have stress cracks in the same window on my Hobby. They are only on the inner of the two panes. I wonder if the inner pane isn't uv protectec and jarring over potholes has caused it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think I believe them about alcohol doing damage to it, acrylic is very finicky stuff, anyone remember the old pink windowlean that used to do a superb job of destroying perspex & acrylic.

Always makes me cringe when people use products like T cut to get scratches out of their windows lightly to do more damage than good.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have stress cracks in the same window on my Hobby. They are only on the inner of the two panes. I wonder if the inner pane isn't uv protectec and jarring over potholes has caused it.
Must of the UV would be absorbed by the outside pane and if not UV protected they would tend to yellow.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think I believe them about alcohol doing damage to it, acrylic is very finicky stuff, anyone remember the old pink windowlean that used to do a superb job of destroying perspex & acrylic.

Always makes me cringe when people use products like T cut to get scratches out of their windows lightly to do more damage than good.
Can you remember the thing about people putting stickers on polycarbonate motorcycle helmets and making them unsafe. As you say dodgy with a lot of plastics and solvents. When you think about it making a material thats transparent and flexible isn't the easiest thing!

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
But how much alcohol is in a car shampoo? Surely not enough to cause this? Had similar skylights on a couple of caravans, plus all the normal habitation windows on the Malibu are they going to crack?
What products do most people use to wash with?

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Well we’ve explored all avenues and now admit defeat. According to Autoglym where I have a contact they have exhaustively tested their car shampoo on Acrylic and reckon at most after dilution there is 0.01% alcohol. They have not seen any degradation on perpsex or acrylic and disagree with Carthago’s position. They reckon UV damage. To compound the argument the inside panel has also started cracking, and this has never been in contact with any cleaning product, not even a duster!
Carthago are not replying to this query, so I’m stuck with a £1.7k estimate from the dealer who isn‘t fighting my corner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back