make vent covers

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by pamella, Sep 21, 2013.

1. pamella

pamella Read Only Funster

i read the other day a thread about someone making covers for the fridge vents from a plastic box.for the life of me i cannot find it.could anyone show me where it is please.it was a really great idea.

2. Phill D

Phill D

what is your fridge like / type. we have the large "jobby" with the freezer above the fridge and 2 large external vents, if yours is similar i will post a picture and measurements of our covers. they were not cheap:Eeek: and are simple flat buts of plastic with 2 cutouts. :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

• Like Like x 1
  4. Phill D

Phill D

some fridge vent covers ( mine by case in point ) are fitted inside the existing vents, so no issue with cosmetic appearance. :thumb:

but

i would strongly agree if they were fitted on the outside of the existing vents

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

normally stacks of second hand vent covers on ebay cheap for the older type vents

the newer ones you can unclip the vents and put a small piece of bubble wrap in there.

DON'T OPERATE THE FRIDGE ON GAS WITH COVERS ON THE VENTS DUE TO C0 POISONING:thumb:

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I don't think that is correct, fridge manufacturers usually advise you to put vents on in winter to help the fridge work better, so why are you saying not to use it in this way?????

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

read the manual and it advises you to remove vent covers before using on gas. otherwise the air for combustion is drawn from inside the van and any co leaks cant escape

the advice is to fit vent covers that allow some airflow when using on electric if the ambient temperature is below a couple of degrees,

the byproducts of burning lpg are very toxic. it seems most years somebody dies in a caravan/motorhome from co poisoning due to blocking vents to avoid draughts. if a manufacturer advised blocking a gas vent it would be criminal:thumb:

8. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

It was my understanding that from the inside of the van they are a sealed unit. Therefore all air for combustion is drawn from the outside and exhausted to the outside so no fumes can enter the van. My instructions tell me to use these covers when the temperature gets below 8 degrees for the fridge to work efficiently.

• Like Like x 1
  9. keith

keith Funster

If you remove the covers you can tape the inside of the cover which does exactly the same as the winter covers. Don't cover them all over, just enough to reduce the through flow of air. You can check what the winter covers look like and how much they cut off the flow on line to see how much they reduce the vent flow. Have a look here to see what I mean.

Put a small bit of tape, or tie a small bit of cotton, on the outside to remind you what you have done, you don't want to leave the tape on in the summer.

10. pamella

phil D....our fridge is a little RM275.we do have two external vents that are quite large.i have contacted hymer and they are 16pnds each.they are reiss and the hymer number is 3889062.i think they fit inside the vent though but i have been unable to find a picture of them.:Smile:

JCM.....I have looked atyour site but cannot see our.thanks though.:Smile:

TheBIG1.....looked on ebay yesterday but as yet nothing.will keep at it tho.:thumb:

11. pamella

thanks Keith,now that is a good idea.stilll trying to find a pic of our vent cover though.hoping hymer will send me one?lol.

12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just copied this below extract from the Dometic absorption fridge FAQ webpage found here:

http://www.dometicapproved.co.uk/page.aspx?p=3way

You can obtain manuals here:

http://www.dometicapproved.co.uk/page.aspx?p=maAbsorption

This is the link for Thetford refrigerators FAQ:

http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/faqs.aspx

and manuals:

http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/service/manuals/refrigerators.asp

Regardless, if you have correctly fitting vent covers they should leave the end of the 'chimney' clear/still leave some ventilation so that the fumes can still exit the van and not gather up inside. If you get fumes inside the motorhome it means that the fridge is NOT installed correctly as it should be completely sealed from the inside.

TheBig1 - what make/model of fridge have you got?