Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I am looking for a mains change over switch IE two live feeds in one out,
I have had a look at generator change over switches but they seem a bit heavy duty as I only need something to handle 10 amps max.

I have a long drive with 26 lights (leds) and for a bit of fun been running the lights from the solar setup (inverter) in our van when parked at home, the lights are fully automatic switching and I have a 220v outlet on the van I use to supply the lights when parked at home but when away they revert back to the grid/ mains supply.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
26 leds, even banks of leds, would not be near 10A I'd doubt. But anyway as I read it you have a female external plug on your MH which supplies 240v. You can take a lead from that which you want to feed the 26 lights with when the van is parked up and plugged in, but when you unplug the MH the leds revert to the mains from the house.

All you would need to do is get a 240v coil relay (double pole) with contact current carrying capability of 10A. RS sell a range of these called Octal relays, they need a plug in base to which you can connect your wires.

So the wires from the house go to the normally closed contacts, ie closed when coil not energised.

The wires from the MH go to both the coil AND normally open contacts, ie closed when coil is powered.

The wires from the common contacts go to your leds.

BUT, BUT, BUT. How that would comply with the electrical regulations I have no idea ! You'd need a competent electrician who is an expert on the IEEE regs to comment on that !

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Are you trying to change over from a 12v to a 230v and vica versa ?

I was recommended to use a relay from others in this site, try and search for relays?

I also understand that some inverters have them in built.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Are you trying to change over from a 12v to a 230v and vica versa ?

I was recommended to use a relay from others in this site, try and search for relays?

I also understand that some inverters have them in built.
No I have a mains supply from the house to the lights that are on a timed/ photo electric switch, I also have a 220v supply coming from our van that is free power, so when the van is parked at home I may as well use the free power to supply the lights.šŸ™‚

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
26 leds, even banks of leds, would not be near 10A I'd doubt. But anyway as I read it you have a female external plug on your MH which supplies 240v. You can take a lead from that which you want to feed the 26 lights with when the van is parked up and plugged in, but when you unplug the MH the leds revert to the mains from the house.

All you would need to do is get a 240v coil relay (double pole) with contact current carrying capability of 10A. RS sell a range of these called Octal relays, they need a plug in base to which you can connect your wires.

So the wires from the house go to the normally closed contacts, ie closed when coil not energised.

The wires from the MH go to both the coil AND normally open contacts, ie closed when coil is powered.

The wires from the common contacts go to your leds.

BUT, BUT, BUT. How that would comply with the electrical regulations I have no idea ! You'd need a competent electrician who is an expert on the IEEE regs to comment on that !
Thanks for the reply I think I would prefer to stick to manual switching as the switch will isolate either supply when set to to other supply, I hope that makes sense šŸ‘

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
No I have a mains supply from the house to the lights that are on a timed/ photo electric switch, I also have a 220v supply coming from our van that is free power, so when the van is parked at home I may as well use the free power to supply the lights.šŸ™‚
But doesn't that mean you have a 12v supply feeding the inverter, which then becomes a 240v supply via the inverter?

So effectively you are switching from a 240v supply to a 12v supply when that 12v supply is available and then auto switching to the 240v house supply when it isn't?

By only trying to change from one 240v supply to another, wouldn't that mean your inverter would be on permanently?

Hoovie should be able to help you. He might be able to provide exactly what you need

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
But doesn't that mean you have a 12v supply feeding the inverter, which then becomes a 240v supply via the inverter?

So effectively you are switching from a 240v supply to a 12v supply when that 12v supply is available and then auto switching to the 240v house supply when it isn't?

By only trying to change from one 240v supply to another, wouldn't that mean your inverter would be on permanently?

Hoovie should be able to help you. He might be able to provide exactly what you need
Yes the inverter is on permanently so only switching the 240v from one to the other šŸ‘
the van batteries is at 100% every day so I may as well use it,
letā€™s not go into storing batteries at 100/80% as I am aware of thatšŸ¤£

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Yes the inverter is on permanently so only switching the 240v from one to the other šŸ‘
the van batteries is at 100% every day so I may as well use it,
letā€™s not go into storing batteries at 100/80% as I am aware of thatšŸ¤£
Technical stuff is something I am certainly not offering advice/suggestions on !!

And I understand why you would want to use free electricity (who wouldn't !!)

I'm sure there is a way to do it. As I said hoovie makes devices that might be what you need. Good luck with the project

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi Steve. Is it the supply from the external van socket you wish to change? It's not clear from your explanation. If so can I suggest you look at Techno's auto change over system in resources.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You could replace the contactor for something like this.
Screenshot_20230414_100457_com.android.chrome.jpg

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I'm obviously missing a key piece of information here. Is the plug for the van not compatible with the house or is distance the problem?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You need a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch. Wire the lights (Live and Neutral) to the centre pair of terminals. Then the two alternative supplies to the top and bottom pair.

Get a box with a blank plate on the front, and cut a rectangular hole the right size. Push the switch in until it clicks and holds in place. The switch in the link is a three position Centre Off type, which is safer in this situation with two different unsynchronised mains supplies. It makes sure one is definitely off before the other one is turned on.
Edit: I've changed the link because the first one was a momentary type (doesn't stay on when you let go of the switch)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Thatā€™s the one exactly what I had in mind šŸ‘ then got chatting to a Electrician pal in the pubšŸ¤Æ thatā€™s where I went wrongšŸ¤£

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back