East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Bike carrier (slightly off topic)

Hi

I note the actual bike carrier is one of the type that "Clamps" to the ball? I assume there is some sort of backup bracing? As otherwise it relies ONLY on the friction fit of the clamp?

My mate is looking at one for his car but he is nervous of this type because of the apparent "friction only" type of fixing.

I fabricated one about 30years ago which is still in use, and was the forerunner of the "pendal" bike carrier, B*****r should have patented it!!!

pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I note the actual bike carrier is one of the type that "Clamps" to the ball? I assume there is some sort of backup bracing? As otherwise it relies ONLY on the friction fit of the clamp?

My mate is looking at one for his car but he is nervous of this type because of the apparent "friction only" type of fixing.

Hi Pete

I have a similar rack, a Thule, there is a locking clamp that tightens up under the ball.. it also has a key lock to prevent it being stolen.. so no fear of it ever coming off accidentally .. It has a slight tendency to move side to side .. but nothing to cause alarm ..

Mine is for sale if he's interested

Jim

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi

I fabricated one about 30years ago which is still in use, and was the forerunner of the "pendal" bike carrier, B*****r should have patented it!!!

pete

I've done approx 1000 miles with the bike carrier at 60mph carrying 2 bikes no problems it does'nt move about at all. I've got a strap around the bikes and the spare wheel carrier just in case but to be honest it does'nt really need it. Bought the carrier from a local bike shop £49.99 last one they had I fabricated the rest myself, the carrier is very light, easy to use and takes seconds to put on or take off. Not sure if the carrier will last long term but if it shows signs of fatigue I'll just make a copy only a bit heavier duty.
Good Luck :thumb:

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
bike carrier.

Forestboy,I cant seem to see your pic of your 'set up' you made,(i'm a bit slow) only the pic of your RV and a bit of blue bike sticking out the back.....what am i doing wrong ?
As for metal fatigue...dont take the piff,it happens,especially if a weight or load is put near the weld,the weld wont go,but the metal nearest will fracture) did you MIG,or TIG ?
I'm sure (without seeing job) your work will outlast your rig,but i can also see the logic in braceing and commenting on fatigue,i'm sure it was meant as a help not a downer.
I am making a complete tow-hitch for my Elddis as i cant get hold of one here,just have the 'ball hitch' i am hoping to make a slide out type so when needed (motorbike/moped) i can remove one bolt or pin and slide out from main chassis,to allow space for bike to fit lengthways across van and towbar,when not in use with bike,slide back in ?An idea?there again i need to upgrade leaf springs or something as they look a little droopy now,without a moped on the back :)
Any ideas on beefing up/raising back end ?

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
barneybg
Have no idea where the original pics went but have added a couple below for you:thumb:

Attachments

• towbar 001.jpg
    towbar 001.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 29
  • towbar 003.jpg
    towbar 003.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 28

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.