M/home, Brian James trailer, smart cabriolet + cycle

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by FJmike, Jun 4, 2016.

1. FJmike

FJmike Funster

We are going away to France later on this year and taking our Smart cabriolet on a Brian James trailer. I would like to take my cycle as well but apart from fitting a bike rack on the cabriolet (expensive ) I at a loss at how I could achieve this. Any ideas?

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I did fix a bike rack onto the A Frame of the trailer and put two bikes onto it, however the Citroën C1 was too close to the bikes for comfort but it may work on yours. I have seen many foreign caravans with bikes on the a frame so as long as you have room it should work.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PeteH

PeteH Funster

B-J extended the frame on my trailer when being built, and moved the axles forward to compensate. I carried a small Motorcycle across the Frame. some increase in "nose weight" is inevitable though.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  4. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Take bikes apart? Wheels off, straighten handlebars, remove seat post and fit in garage/car?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

Folding bike? I picked up a "Dahon" (not quite as posh as Brompton, but close) for £120 on Fleabay, hardly used. Great bit of kit - folds up or down in under a minute to go in our garage, adjusts easily to fit either Mrs F (5'4") or me (6'2" and errrm, a bit heavier :rolleyes:).

My kids tell me it looks ridiculous when I ride it but I'm well past the stage of caring!!!

6. PhilG

PhilG Funster

i have to ask , how small is the trailer?? Stick a rack on the A frame, or an elevated one on the tow bar.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I have the same combination of trailer & car. On the trailer A frame in front of the car I've mounted a toolbox. There is room in that position for a Fiamma cycle wheel track leaving you to find a suitable upper support for the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I've the same car with a Brian James micromax trailer. A two bike rack on the a frame is ideal as the smart is over a foot from the front. Make sure you position the car in a balanced position so that the weight is distributed. I've found that with the car about one foot from the front this gives a ball weight on the van of 85 kgs. It rides well and tyre pressures of 80 is ideal.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

If I park the Smart a foot from the front the rear tyres are over the edge at the rear! Mines a BJ Bantam.

10. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Thanks everyone for your input. I had not thought about an A frame mounted carrier, it's something I will have to investigate.

11. FJmike

FJmike Funster

After trawling eBay for best part of a few weeks for a cycle rack to fit on the trailer A frame I managed to find one for £50 Inc postage. Fitted it yesterday and I'm well chuffed. Thank you everyone for your suggestions

• Like Like x 5