M/H and ferries

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Targetpaster, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Targetpaster

Targetpaster Funster

Forgive the naivety of a 'newbie' but can somebody help me with the implications, if any, of attempting to take an M/H on a ferry to France that is 6.5 m long and 2.9 m high

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

There aren't any implications

3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Wot 'e sed, very easy. (y)

4. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Go and enjoy. We went for the first time a few months ago and loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Just make sure you book the correct dimensions, and it is easy peasy

6. froghopper43

froghopper43

Hi there. Should have no problem at this size. Be honest and up front. You are a little bigger than us. 6mt long and 2.1 high. That includes a rear box fitted on to bike rack. We state this. Have used a few routes. D f d S. P&o. Scottish islands. And I O W. Never a problem. Approach ticket office. Customs or any barriers on side lights. Not headlights. If its dark of course. If iI can help. Just ask.

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Don't go past an signs saying 2.8m.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

When you board the ferry you will be guided to s suitable area, along with other Motorhomes, caravans and other 'over sized' vehicles - nothing for you to worry about

• Like Like x 1
  9. Adbt

Adbt Funster

No probs at all , go n njoy !

10. Targetpaster

Targetpaster Funster

Thanks everyone. Put my toe in the water to see how much it would cost and the site didn't cater for anything over 2.5m and I was getting slightly concerned that it was an issue

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There are some ferry routes which won't take MHs above a certain size. You will be OK on the popular routes - what route were you looking at?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  12. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

What site was that and for which crossing?

13. Targetpaster

Targetpaster Funster

It was a sort of 'go compare' website which quoted for several ferry companies and gave loads of dimension options but as I say none above 2.5m! It was my only go at it so I'll try some other better known sites. Learning as we go!

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you want to use a site like that try directferries.co.uk although I think for channel crossings most of us go straight to the ferry company's own sites although you can book through the Caravan Club if you are a member.

For the main routes size isn't a limitation but it is for a few routes, for example Condor Ferries won't take anything over 6.5m long and I've seen low height restrictions (2.6m?) on another route but can't remember which one it was.

Given where you live have a look at routes from Portsmouth first, make a note of costs then look at Calais. It will be cheaper but you will have to decide if it is worth the hastle of fighting round the M25! Don't forget Newhaven Dieppe easier to get to perhaps and not expensive.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  15. Clarky

Clarky Funster

If you go via the tunnel there is a price for motorhomes of any size, just book as a camper van, no length or height required.
    It is more expensive than the ferries though.

We always used P&O to cross the channel and used to pay £50 each way, 7.5m plus driver and one passenger. That seems to have gone up to £58 this year if you chose your crossing time carefully. I found that if you book at least 48hrs before travelling you could usually find that sort of price direct with P&O.
    Now we have a "frequent traveller' package with Eurotunnel which works out at £54 each way.

Richard.

• Like Like x 1
  16. busby

busby Funster

If you decide Newhaven Dieppe and are over 60 book on the telephone and tell them your age. You will get a 20% discount...BUSBY

• Like Like x 4
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

When you come to drive onto or off the ramp to board or disembark go slowly and be aware that, while rare, it is possible to ground the back of the van.It mainly depends on the state of the tide and the length of your rear overhang.

Ferry company staff are usually excellent and, if there is a possibility, will show you where to drive on the ramp to avoid doing it. The staff will tell you exactly when to stop as you park. It always seems like you are about to hang your front bumper on the vehicle in front but they have it down to a fine art so it doesn't happen.

Make sure your gas is switched off if you have a fridge that switches to gas automatically. We regularly do 24 hour crossings and have never had anything go off yet. You'll be asked to leave your alarm off when on board as alarms are often triggered by the motion of the ship.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Hello,

Much depends on where in France you want to go, and when. We travelled on Britanny Ferries from Plymouth to Roscoff and back in September, and that crossing is perfect for Britanny and the West Coast of France for us. When we live in Yorkshire we used the same company but the Portsmouth route to St Malo to get to the same parts of France, but have also used Dover when going to other parts.

Our van is 6.6m long and 2.9m high and we have a four bike rack on the back, which makes it at least 1m longer, but we always declare the bike rack even if we don't always take the bikes.

We are members of the BF club voyage scheme, which gives us 30% off the bad ferry price, (excludes cabin costs) and we generally spend the savings on upgrading the cabin!

Using the ferries is a doddle, believe me. they steer you at every stage of loading and unloading and you will love the experience. If you send me a PM I will send you details of what we paid and (if it is of any use to you) I can give you our BF club voyage membership number which will (legitimately) get you 10% off the ferry price.

Gary

19. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

There are some ferries that can't take motorhomes of your size so be careful when booking. We are going to Cherbourg from Poole next Easter and we have to be loaded at a specific time as they lift the floor to accommodate our height. The tunnel has no restrictions and is very simple to book. We have found that the tunnel is usually cheaper than the ferry for the times we cross ( school holidays sadly) but it is a four hour drive each way.

20. Targetpaster

Targetpaster Funster

All these helpful tips, precisely why Ive joined this forum! No specific route in mind, just seeing whats viable.
    I will bear in mind all the 'favours' offered. Much obliged

• Like Like x 4