Luxemberg

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by mowbotman, Jun 9, 2013.

1. mowbotman

mowbotman Funster

we are going to Trier and up the mosel vally, but the first 2 or 3 days we will spend in Luxemberg, at the moment I am going to stay on a site near mamur, is there any other sites anyone can recommend, what is the public transport like and cost, is there somewhere to park in the town, or just not bother ! apart from filling up ( this will be around the 20th July because of my children hols )

2. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We loved Luxembourg, we were there about 5 years ago I think. There is a very nice site at Diekirch, 5 mins walk from the town centre. Vianden has a wonderful chateau and I remember having a lovely lunch at a riverside restaurant there. Can't help with the ability to park MHs at major towns as we had the caravan & car back then but we could park at the railway station for free and the transport was very cheap (6 euros for all day travel back then).

Hope the above helps

3. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi there,

Rita and I stayed at >>this site<< which was the closest to the city centre at the time. The facilities were good, clean, and tidy, and the site owners/managers spoke several languages, including english. There were regular buses available from stops on the main road, just outside the camp site barriers. The pitches were on honeycombe hard standings, with grass growing through. :thumb:

Things may have changed though since we were last there.

HTH,

Jock & Rita.

P.S. I haven't a clue where Mamur is. Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  4. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

We stayed at the site by the river at Vianden a few weeks ago and loved it despite the poor weather.Short walk along the river into the walled town, chair lift up the hill, great chateau....would recommend.:thumb:

5. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

Beware most of the stallplatze on the mosel are on flood plains, we did the lenghth of the river last year when a lot of dry weather and river was high then.:Sad:

6. ukbill

ukbill Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

We and our partners obviously have good taste Bill. :Wink: That's 2 x :thumb: for the same site. :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

We stayed at the site at Vianden in March and it was a fab location on a river with a mountain backdrop. The owners were really friendly and helpful with local info. We will definitely go back there. We did have to move pitch 3 times as hook up was showing no earth but soon found a pitch that was fine.

9. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

We stayed at Ben Acruiel last week. this is the the site mentioned by Jock and Rita.

It is very close to the city of Luxembourg, which would be well worth a visit, remember the shops are closed on Sundays, so are some petrol stations!

We found it in the ACSI book on our way back from Sicily and would have stayed a second night but it is about 420km from Calais our next stop and we were getting tired so decided to take two days for the Calais trip.

The site is very good and has all the features as described by Jock and Rita.
    From the campsite You can cycle into the city via cycle paths it is only 10km each way, something that we were going to do.
    Don't forget the cheap diesel, €1.19 per litre!

• Like Like x 1
  10. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

If you don't need toilets and showers (because you have them in your mh) and would like your own hard standing spot with electricity, cable tv, and water all inclusive I can recommend the Stelle Platz we just left at Fuussekaul just across the border from Germany and not far from Trier. There is plenty for the children to do at this family friendly site. All for 10 euros a night.

If you want to go to the city of Luxembourg then it will cost 4 euros return for a joint bus and train ticket available on the bus that stops right outside the Stelle Platz.

For more information look at the Website www.fuussekaul.lu the site maybe in German or in French but if you have difficulties phone them up the staff speak excellent English.

PM me if you want any more help, currently I am on the French Riviera but will pickup message every couple of days.

Happy hols

Norman

• Like Like x 2
  11. gloworm

gloworm Funster

This is pretty close to what we are doing we have booked our first 2 nights at this site
    http://camping-kockelscheuer.jimdo.com/

then onto the Mosel/Rhine we love the mosel can't wait just watching weather reports hoping for some improvement :thumb:

12. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

You can always try Camping Durnal, Le Pompier Rustique. Www.camping-durnal.net its in the CC European sites book book. it is a little further down than Namur but in a beautiful valley and if you get one of the Motorhome pitches you get a fantastic view. But it is quiet and ideal for a nights stop. Cost as per last month 24€ for the night inc electric

13. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

Can't remember the name of the site we stayed at last year but it was in the ACSI book. It was 7 kilometers from Luxembourg City, on the cycle path and with a bus stop at the top of the road by the camp site. Don't think the bus fares were particularly expensive. Cycle path takes you to the Grunge area - below the city walls (I think that's what it was called).

It was a great site and very convenient for exploring the City.

:Smile:

14. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

Just looked up the ACSI campsite I mentioned: http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/luxembourg/bon-accueil-116710/