LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So we should open them prior to filling? Sorry - conflicting advice here!
It has only just been done.
I'm sure there are no loose connections
NO. CLOSE THEM BEFORE FILLING . The gas should stop going in once both are full.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what has not been mentioned......never ever let a cloud of lpg or the liquid touch any part of your body. it will burn down to the bone in a second

trying to fill a known damaged gas system is beyond stupid it is suicidal

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
what has not been mentioned......never ever let a cloud of lpg or the liquid touch any part of your body. it will burn down to the bone in a second

trying to fill a known damaged gas system is beyond stupid it is suicidal
Best thing I think is to keep a dedicated pair of those heavy duty dipped workgloves in your gas locker. And I wear big glasses (trendy in Portugal tho) for driving, so have some eye protection, if you dont wear glasses I would recommend you use something to protect your eyes(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
PLEASE!! PLEASE!. Don`t take risks OR mess with LPG, unless your KNOW what you are about.. I saw the result in the USA. including 4 dead, on a Campground, the guy had been "fixing" a hose that had split or perished, took him and his family out.

I had to have the Float Valve replaced on the R-V. And even though I had been around LPG as a vessel examiner for over 20 years, I gave the Job to a Professional!.

BTW. a "split" nut WILL need a new hose. AND I would advise changing the fitting to as it too will have been been overstressed by over-tightening in the first instance.

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you.
Always worth posting that cautionary advice. But we were well aware of the risks.
We have heard back from the auto gas guy that flatpack kindly found for me so will go there asap

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you.
Always worth posting that cautionary advice. But we were well aware of the risks.
We have heard back from the auto gas guy that flatpack kindly found for me so will go there asap
Good, not worth taking a risk

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Filled up with LPG for the first time this year, the young lady manning the pump at the local wood merchants said "the pump is slow you must be full" when I told her that I had two cylinders and one was empty she went to the holding tanks and changed the supply to another tank, which did the job, so if there is a problem it might be the supply. Worth checking. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
PLEASE!! PLEASE!. Don`t take risks OR mess with LPG, unless your KNOW what you are about.. I saw the result in the USA. including 4 dead, on a Campground, the guy had been "fixing" a hose that had split or perished, took him and his family out.

I had to have the Float Valve replaced on the R-V. And even though I had been around LPG as a vessel examiner for over 20 years, I gave the Job to a Professional!.

BTW. a "split" nut WILL need a new hose. AND I would advise changing the fitting to as it too will have been been overstressed by over-tightening in the first instance.

Pete
How would I know if I had a split nut or damaged wire or anything else please?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
other than inspecting the installation and testing for leaks, the usual first tell tale sign is a smell of gas

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
O
Thank you.
good luck getting a replacement Ian am sure or will ever fine but out of interest, how long ago did Simpsons fit the hose/system?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Don't want to bad mouth them though as they did a a good job on everything else at reasonable cost

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I t
Don't want to bad mouth them though as they did a a good job on everything else at reasonable cost
I think you should take it up with them and present them with the bill you get. I have had problems in the past with poor work on my motorhome, I thought they had different technicians now and I had them do a basic service, oils and filter last March. Everything seemed ok but I would have thought even the poorest mechanic should know not to over tighten nuts. To be fair it could have been a faulty nut I suppose but it will be interesting to know how they propose to deal with the issue and whether your are as satisfied with the outcome. Please let us know but In the meantime put it behind you and enjoy the remainder of your trip.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oddly, their postcode system is the same as ours as well.

And I believe there was once a motion to adopt English as their official language.

And of course we were conquered and much improved by the Dutch. Close ties.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Could it be because we opened the cylinder valves? Is it definitely the case that we should NOT open them? Does anyone know for sure?
It would certainly explain the leakage.

I admit guilty to failing to close the valve when filling.

The "obvious" answer is open the door and look for the leak, it can only be from the back of the filler to the top of the tank. Is the filler in the door, so flexing when it opens ? Bad idea, these are not very flexible pipes.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
How would you see a cloud of lpg I think the liquid would be painfull but the gas would just disperse I have never worn gloves or facemask in ten years of filling a gas fork truck almost daily just do it up if it leaks release button and stand back until it stops

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How would you see a cloud of lpg I think the liquid would be painfull but the gas would just disperse I have never worn gloves or facemask in ten years of filling a gas fork truck almost daily just do it up if it leaks release button and stand back until it stops
It's an aerosol of liquid gas you can see forming as a brief cloud around escaping gas. As it turns to proper gas it sucks heat out of the surroundings. If you hand is close by you can get freezing burns but they shouldn't be serious. The danger is spilling still liquefied gas on yourself. That can do serious harm.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have just filled up in Norway, clouds of gas coming out of the stations bayonet pump connection where it met their hose......nobody seemed bothered, probably because I was paying for it!!! The only LPG station in the village tho :(

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

One of the posters, intimated that a "Nut was split". My take on that is that in order to split a nut the nut has had to have been over torqued and ergo over stressed. In those circumstances the material of which the fitting is made will have been taken beyond it`s elastic limit and is likely to fracture in short order. Especially so if subjected to thermal shock, as when passing liquid / gas at very low temperature into the vessel.

Pete

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for your help and especially Gary for finding us a local gas fitter.
We did it today and he changed the connector and only charged 25euro. It took him 15 minutes
Just filled with LPG
What a dream . First time it's been without problem!
Long may it last!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I believe there was once a motion to adopt English as their official language.

Scots and Flemish language are closely related.. one word that I always remember is .. Kirk (church) .

More trivia.. common Dutch surname.. Van nee Kirk.. = Man of No Church.. or heathen

Googling found this http://flemish.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2014/05/09/the-flemish-influence-on-scottish-language/

In S Africa I recognised a lot of Scots words in Afrikaans .. the language of the Dutch settlers .. the Boers .. so it was relatively easy to learn..

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
We did it today and he changed the connector and only charged 25euro. It took him 15 minutes
Just filled with LPG
Long may it last!

Great to know your all done filled up and on your way again with full tanks and knowing you can refill again safety gives you great peace of mind. Hope you have a great holiday and mhf come to the rescue yet again :) what a great to get help and info for £15 per year huh best £15 you will ever spend mate
Good luck Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If it was over tightened and split on installation to an extent that LPG pours through the floor, how was the system filled originally?

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If it was over tightened and split on installation to an extent that LPG pours through the floor, how was the system filled originally?
I wondered about that, could it be it was overtightened on installation but did not immediately crack thus allowing filling, then on a journey from UK the EU some bad roads or vibration on concrete ones made the already stressed nut give up the ghost and crack.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Just filled with LPG
Long may it last!
Great result, enjoy your hols

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just filled with LPG
Long may it last!

Great news :D

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
The tanks weren't filled up after the installation was done as they still had a bit in . We tried to fill them ten days later when they leaked badly.
Watching this repair guy do the pressure gas test at the end of the work, we wondered if the last people hadn't done the test at all. The other explanation of it cracking as we drove could make sense. We have kept the cracked pipe piece to show them. They need to know I think.
Incidentally the guy who fixed it said it didn't
rmatter if the valves were open or closed on filling with this gaslow pipe system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back