low milage service requirements

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by SC 05 OUT, Jan 23, 2012.

1. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Fiat 2.8jtd
    Mot & service are due at end of Feb, and as we only do low milages 2.5k last year and only 13.5k since new 03/05 reg is a full service really nessercery ? I know its needs the alko axle gressing doing and a new oil filter/new oil is required but is a full wheels of do everything serivce going overboard evey year

recormendations for a garage near to south Doncaster would as Im not taking it back to the agent who done it for ther last two years

2. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Sorry I can't help with any one near you for a service, but I would recomend a full service as things sieze up through lack of use rather than wear out through use, plus a full service history never hurts when you come to sell it.

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 1
  3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Hi there
    This is a common dliemma facing low mileage vehicles but it is important to remember these motorhomes are built on commercial van chassis intended for constant use. Consequently low mileage often results in perishable items, hoses, pipes, tyres etc to deteriorate rather than wear out, which is why cam belts on morothomes are changed every five years and not on mileage.
    You may well get away with it if it passes its MOT but I must admit I would rather a mechanic looks over my vehicle once a year even though I do a low mileage.

Norman

4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Totally agree, just the same on the boat, lack of use causes more problems than wear & Tear, keep it serviced.........Maintain rather than repair.....Griff

5. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I agree with Norman.

As the vehicle is 7 years old the Cam belt is living on borrowed time it and the tensioners should be changed. Its going to cost around £250 on top of the service but better that then a new engine.

Lunarman

6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

so what should a full service (inc axel greessing ) + mot be, I seem to recall it was arround £290 ish last year

7. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Ah but boats are even bigger black holes :BigGrin:

All the best Rick

8. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

the cam belt was done at 5 years old and I'll allways had full service done each year, just wondering what other poeple do, looks like I will give it a full service as per peoples recomendations, I just need to find a trustworthy garage near me that will do the job properly at a fair (not cheap) price

9. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Backing up what others have said..
    If you havent already done it consider a cam belt change.... 5 years or 75,000 miles is the recommended.. If it snaps with age rather than mileage it's still a few thousand to fix the engine !!!!

10. Phill D

Phill D

there is a recognised service schedule for low mileage Fiats our local dealer does these and it maintains warrenty ( where relevant) but they stipulate a full service every second year. had this system on my last motorhome on the x250 cab.:thumb:

11. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Totally agree with others on this but make sure they know how to grease the Alco axle as I think there is a procedure in doing this and can cause problems if not done correctly.

12. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I imagine you wrote that for the benefit of others.........anyone who owns a boat, already knows, strange isn't it. If it has "marine" written in front of the part number the price at least doubles.

I can understand it if it is made of Phosphor-Bronze, but not a plastic cupboard catch which is supplied by the same manufacturer as would supply Swift or Autosleeper.

Marine = wealthy = Mug = Put the price up.

No ShiftZZ & Yosser & Haggers & john10p & JJ I don't need any p*ss takes or derevations of the above..............Griff.

13. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I have always been lucky with boats, only had them in the USA but better than that they were not mine :thumb: used to have a super 30' bow rider to use any time cuz my neibour who owned it used my workshop perfick.

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

therefore Popeye =
    you know I never was any good at equations:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    missed me, ha haa

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Stonacre in Donny do services for motor-homes-They used to(may still do)Danum leisure the main M/H agents it may be worth giving them a call
    terry

16. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

dont talk to me about stoneacre, last week they charged my wife £26 odd for fiting a headlamp bulb in her cmax,:cry: thier the new owerners of the ford dealership on the north road...

Last time I asked Danum about cab service they told me they farmed out the cab side of servicing, do they do it themselves now?

17. Terry

Terry Funster

Not sure but Stoneacre used to do it for them.I still see M/Hs there so they prob still do :BigGrin: I get my local mechanic to service mine :thumb: TRY for a local mobile mec :thumb:

18. Terry

Terry Funster

If you are south of Donny why not give our very own Geo a ring -Pecks Hill Garage
    Tel. 01623 644666
    Cannot be far to Mansfield ?
    terry

19. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I think I missunderstood your last post, I thought you ment stonearce OR danum, not that stoneacre did the cab service for danum.

The fiat stoneacre is not far from me as Im on the south side of town I could drop in and ask for a price and see if they know about m/h axels

On the other hand mobile might be an idea at least you can stand over them and see what they do and what they dont do.

20. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

you must have read my mind, just got of google maps 36 mile:Doh:

just far enough to warm it up for the mot