Looking to get 1st MH this summer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by adt, Mar 28, 2016.

1. adt

adt Funster

Hello,

I'm Al and I'm looking to get our first motorhome this summer. After 25 years in the RAF and travelling the world, I was happy enough when I left and my wife said she didn't want to travel. Turns out she meant flying or sailing abroad ! So after a short stint of hotel breaks in the UK, we are now looking to get our own motorhome to enable us to tour the UK with our 3 dogs in tow.
    Been doing a bit of research online and will be venturing out in the next month or two to look at different options.
    Due to the nature of our drive and wanting to stay smaller, we'll be looking at 6m and our faves so far are the Pilote G600L, Benimar Mileo 202, Roller Team T-Line 590, Chausson Flash 510 and the Rapido 803F.
    Key for us is room to move about during the day so a pull down / lowering bed is advantageous - for that reason the Rapido will probably drop off but will have a look to see if the space gained from being A-class gives a benefit.

I look forward to surfing through the other topics here to get more info and experience before committing to buy.

Al

• Like Like x 2
  2. Speve

Speve Funster

:hiya2:Welcome to fun the subscription is well worth it you will get loads of useful advice and help and of course a bit of fun

3. wigster

wigster Funster

:welcome4:

You are wise doing your research . Dont forget to check the payload of the vans as well, some vans are almost unusable due to lack of payload .
    Best of luck with your search (y).

4. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

:HelloThere: & :pink: :):)

5. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Welcome to Fun- It might be worth you having a trip to the Motorhome Show at Peterborough next month.
    There should be a lot of models for you to look around any maybe something that you have not considered yet.
    Good luck with your search and hope you enjoy what ever you decide upon.

Steve and Sue

6. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome aboard;)

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Don't rule out PVCs. Our Murvi has masses of lounging space and a great kitchen all within 6m. Beds very quick to deploy too. Lots of other designs of PVC of course and as a rule you won't get the damp problems some more conventional MHs can suffer from. A PVC can also be a lot easier to park.

And do consider crossing the Channel, so much easier to tour with the MH than the UK because of the aires networks and generally more tolerant attitude to MHs.

And a big welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Hi & :welcomesign:

9. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Hello & welcome to the fun....Robert & Hazel.

10. adt

adt Funster

Thanks for the welcome everybody - done a lot of reading already and more to go.
    We've gone through the "if" and "when" stages and it really is down to "what" now.

11. travelling wilbury

travelling wilbury Funster

its clear what style of van you are looking for so, have a look at the Rapido 600FF even if you rule out the 803F as it has a rear bed.
    my pal has just got one and he loves it.
    main disadvantage is lack of external storage die to the one-box (live, eat, sleep in the same place) design....so bikes etc slung on the back, which, of course lengthens the van....but keeps the tight turning circle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. sid1959

sid1959 Read Only Funster

Just looked at my bed controller no signs of overheating key wires well away from board components

alteration what I have done
    removed wheel from wardrobe and blocked back off
    new shelving in bottom cupboard for cloths
    put strap on bathroom door to stop hitting fridge
    put striker plate for bathroom door
    taken battery from under passenger seat
    and put two battery's underseat compartment (extra power for bed )
    installed 140w solar panel
    Put stops on draws so does not hit fridge when opening
    had a scooter rake installed for Honda 125
    adjusted the bed so I can know put the safety seat belt on and bed was also crocked so had to alter the lifting seat belts
    Put insulation in above cab
    Resealed around bathroom shower tray and above bathroom cubical
    Extra socket under seat and in wardrobe with usb ports for vacuum and laptop

13. buttons

buttons Funster

Hi and Welcome.......(y)

14. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Welcome :). We have a flash 510 and love it. The following year they brought out the 620 only a little longer but has more storage worth a look.

15. travelling wilbury

travelling wilbury Funster

as Spidey says, the one (simgle?) big disadvantage of the 6m one-box design is lack of decent external storage....bikes etc have to be carried outside...
    the 620 as mentioned, along with vans like the Burstner 680 have added a 'garage', above which sits not a fixed bed but a large wardrobe/cupboard giving huge extra internal and (importantly) external storage.
    obviously, the 'penalty' here is one of length, with the extra capacity adding 50cm+ to the smaller vehicle....

16. adt

adt Funster

Thanks Wilbury and Spidey - the Chausson 510 was on the list too but so are about another 10 !! The 600FF - I hadn't been able to find any decent pics or video but found some last night so yes it is firmly on the list too.

I've started looking at a couple of 6.5m possibilities. The problem is our drive which has a sharp turn up a hill to the house. The length is more a wheelbase issue as a longer overhang means risking scraping the floor with the rear as you go "up the ramp".
    It is possible but have seen a number of delivery vehicles who thought they could do it scrape their rear end (after I told them not to try).

17. The Wino

The Wino Funster

How big are the muts we have a chausson flash 10 (same inside as a flash 510) and it would be a squeeze with 3 dogs the size of ours (see avatar he's a labradoodle)

18. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Summer not the best time to buy as high season and prices firm up...get a much better deal in the Autumn onwards . I won't touch Chausson, German dealer who's opinion I value.... (not been wrong so far!) Dropped the brand due to quality issues. Buy well and try and get a private deal or import is my advice!:)

If buying a coach built get it damp checked and weighed before purchase...to make sure it's practical in use...Can be surprised how many are not!

Eddie

19. adt

adt Funster

Two mini-poodles and a Dobermann - I know good mix, eh ?
    The space element is mainly for us to be able to move around when she does ! She does like to watch what is going on.

20. The Wino

The Wino Funster

On our second chausson and not heard to many bad reports all makes have occasional problems never know if dealers tell the truth or what gets the most business If he doesn't sell them he's hardly likely to recommend them!!!