Loo Leakage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Feltwell, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

So, Dad (me) goes to empty the cassette for the loo. "Don't use the loo" Dad tells the kids. "We won't" chorus the kids in unison.

Dad returns five minutes later to find the cassette cupboard for the loo has a generous helping of yellowy liquid in the bottom of it. "Sorry Dad I forgot" says 5 year old son (it's amazing how much can come out of a 5 year old.......)

Anyway, the point of all this is that when the cassette is removed the black flap thing to let the contents out of the loo can't be opened - so does this mean that the seal on mine has had it, or are they never that good? I really do need it to seal, the kids won't always remember no matter how much I tell them!

The cassette itself seems OK, a tiny dribble sometimes from the main valve when carrying it. I'd offer money that it's never been serviced, it's 9 years old, is it worth (and can you get) a service kit for the lovely job of changing the seals?

2. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The "black flap thing" is part of the cassette so when you remove the cassette you also remove the "black flap thing". Make the 5 year old clean up his mess, he won't do it again!

D.

• Like Like x 4
  3. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

when you remove cassette the seal comes with it leaving a big hole in bottom of toilet so everything that goes in ends up in cupboard best of luck

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

You can get a lot of spares for the Thetford toilets..
    Go on their website, you can identify the one you have and get more info ie diagrams, repair sheets and part numbers,.
    Several online sellers have the spares,,
    http://www.thetford-europe.com/download-category/toilets/cassette-toilets/

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Why not make a funny sign to stick on the loo lid (in the down position) so that anyone who goes in to use it when you've taken the cassette out is reminded not to do so. :)

6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Perhaps you could get a little flag or similar to put on the lid when the cassette is out - so the kids have no excuse for forgetting!
    Snap with @MinxyGirl

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

kitty litter is your best friend when this happens

• Like Like x 1
  8. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Perhaps a little sign,

PEE, OFF, :whistle2:

9. Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit Funster

Spray the loo seat generously with Ralgex before removing cassette:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  10. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

As said previously, cat litter can be a great tool for absorbing all manner of damp or liquid related issues/indiscretions.

11. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

Ermmm, yeah, I knew that, just testing that's all. It's not as I never bothered to check before asking or anything :whistle:

Still, could have been worse, I could have asked the question on an internet forum and then looked daft in front of *loads* of people............

I could have sworn the black flap stayed behind on my parent's old caravan when the cassette came out. Come to think of it, that was so long ago it can't have been a cassette, it must have been one of the old porta-potti's where the whole thing had to come out of the caravan every time it needed to be emptied, for the top and bottom halves of the loo to be separated!

• Like Like x 4
  12. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Buy a spare cassette.
    One in, one out!

Problem solved!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

can the cupboard be hosed out or will water get into the habitation area? always a bit of 'liquid' in the cupboard after the cassette is removed and I always wondered if I could wash it out???

14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

absolutely not. all the water inside the cupboard generally seeps under the shower tray or into the walls

15. Reevsie

Reevsie Funster

I remember a few year ago my dad stayed in out caravan (dad was 80 years old) I get a phone call saying the light on the toilet has come on what does this mean. I explained the cassette is full and will need emptying just like I told him to do when I was there and showed him what to do. No problems came the reply from him.

Two days later he called me to say the van stinks and the toilet is full of Sh*t. Did you empty the toilet cassette when it was full. Just like I showed you. "Yes he said" the grey plastic thing on wheels at the back of the caravan. He he'd only emptied the grey water container and kept using the toilet for two days after it was full. Eventually he could not close the "Flappy thing" at too much crap was in the toilet and the pan was even filled up.

Needless to say I insisted he cleaned it before he came home.

Not just young kids. But old kids also make mistakes..

• Like Like x 2
  16. redjohn151

redjohn151 Funster

Cornflakes now regurgitated

Serves me right for reading this at breakfast time

Never mind

17. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

Hmm, not sure on that - I like the cassette to be in it's little cupboard, having a spare used one stuck in the garage or habitation area seems a bit yucky. Probably me being too fussy, if it's well rinsed out and in a plastic sack I guess it would be OK.

No, I think the only fair and proportionate response is to threaten the kids with instant death if they do it again.

Or no ice cream for the rest of the holiday, but that may be going a *bit* too far.