Log on confusion

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Suggestions' started by Spenders, May 22, 2013.

1. Spenders

Spenders

Is it just me or is there some dark magic going on when I log onto the site?

I input my username and then tab into the password field and input my password.... all pretty normal so far. I the either hit the 'Enter' key or I click on the 'Log In' button. It doesn't matter which I do, because seemingly at random one of two things then happens:

a) A box appears thanking me for logging in and saying I will be re-directed in as few moments, following which I am directed to the home screen

b) A box appears telling me that that I have made an invalid paging request. If this happens, I just click on the 'Home' option on the page and I am taken to the Home page as normal and shown as being logged in.

Am I the only one that this happens to? I would assume that option a) is the correct thing that should happen, and if so, why does option b) seemingly occur at random?

Simon

• Like Like x 1
  2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

u have a bug i reckon used to happen a lot with windows xp the 1st clcik went to a page u didnt want then another click went to where u did want i think its a bug but not defo on that

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Sounds like you may have a corrupt browser cache. try clearing it and see if it improves:thumb:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

clear your cookies and cache.

Might not be the problem but nothing to lose.

5. Spenders

Spenders

I'm quite fastidious about deleting my browser cache very regularly.... I use the Internet Explorer inbuilt tool (as suggested in Jim's link) and also the CCleaner app-type program. ??

Simon

6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It happens to me occasionally as well across multiple browsers and OS's.
    I don't worry about it however and just carry on regardless.

7. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Read Only Funster

It may be related, or not ... but the site always forgets that I have logged in when I click on Recent Posts just under the banner at top left. I click back on my browser and I'm logged in again and can navigate as normal. This only happens with the Recent Posts button. I'm using latest Firefox on Win XP. I have recently cleared my cache with CCleaner, like Spenders.

EDIT: I cleared all this site's cookies and it appears to be behaving itself so far.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  8. DocHoliday

I spoke too soon - the problem is back. Every time I click on Recent Posts my staus changes to logged out.

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

you definitely need to clear your cache, this is a 2013 thread :D

10. DocHoliday

But it's a 2014 problem ... still. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the database is simply losing the request. its not the user its a very minor glitch in the forum software. the difficult part would be tracing and correcting a line of code someplace.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have just tried used the recent posts tab using 4 different browsers and using a PC, Mac and a linux machine, and cannot replicate your problem. Its not unusual to be logged out now and again as there is a trade off between convenience and security, but consistent behaviour like that means something is wrong. Try with another browser; Chrome or Firefox and see if it happens then and get back to us.

13. DocHoliday

Hi Jim, I have reproduced the behaviour with the latest editions of Firefox and Google Chrome on my XP netbook (all available updates applied). I haven't tried IE because the edition that works on XP is insecure and I never use it now.
    I have been unable to reproduce it on my Win7 PC with either Chrome or FF.
    It's a bit academic in my case because the XP netbook is just about to be replaced by a Windows 8.1 machine, but I think a large number of people still use XP.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DocHoliday

The problem is still happening with my new Windows 8.1 laptop and Firefox. I go to the login page and log in successfully, maybe look at my alerts, then I click on Recent Posts and I am immediately logged out, every time. It also happens if I click on Forum Home. Once I login a second time, I stay logged in.

Could it be AdBlock Plus? Or DoNotTrackMe?

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

DoNotTrackMe blocks cookies so pretty likely its the culprit

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I imagine its a local issue, I can't reproduce it here. If it happens every time then it should be easy to track down. by turning off those items you suspect one at a time and logging in (y)