Loch Doon / Clatteringshaws (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Moved on from ‘our beach’ and headed here, not been before but couple of S4S options and fall back of Clatteringshaw if not good

Lovely scenery here, you really could be a lot further north

The road down beside Loch Doon is a good width single track with parking places, easy drive (about 8 miles to end)

There are a few places you could stop at but S4S shows places more or less at both ends of the road down the loch side

There is a community campsite, sadly closed, 🙁 no idea why and their web site doesn’t give opening dates

We headed down to the end of the road and found a lovely spot, on our own until joined by one other

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1329.jpeg
IMG_1330.jpeg

Absolutely no phone or internet, not a bad thing every now and again , sadly lacking in wildlife but made a good one might stop 👍

We headed back out today towards Clatteringshaw where over nighting is allowed for £9 at the visitor centre or two places on the Raiders Road

The visitor centre is up for sale and closed although that might be seasonal, sadly the scrub growth blocks any water view and we opted to try the Raiders Road

Both options here are in dark wooded areas with no view didnt fancy either , although a positive was the toll is cancelled for using the forest road

We have though found a gem of a place to overnight , I will post another thread 👍

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
David just a few miles after Clatteringshaws heading west towards Newton Stewart is a lovely spot at Murray’s house, also at the far end of raiders road there’s a two tier car park overlooking the loch, we’ve always found it lovely and peaceful there.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
David & Bev,
Just to be aware, the Stay the Night scheme by Forestry & Land Scotland which covers Clatterinshaws finishes on 31st Oct.
The cafe at Clatterinshaws has closed been closed for abt. 3 months but the tap outside and the toilets remain open as does the elsan point (without rinsing water) in the car park.

There is a nice park-up overlooking the sea at Ballantrae, just up the A77 from Cairnryan organised by South Ayrshire Council.

Screenshot_20231025-195529_searchforsites.jpg

Enjoy D&G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
David & Bev,
Just to be aware, the Stay the Night scheme by Forestry & Land Scotland which covers Clatterinshaws finishes on 31st Oct.
The cafe at Clatterinshaws has closed been closed for abt. 3 months but the tap outside and the toilets remain open as does the elsan point (without rinsing water) in the car park.

There is a nice park-up overlooking the sea at Ballantrae, just up the A77 from Cairnryan organised by South Ayrshire Council.

View attachment 827621

Enjoy D&G
Forestry have extended the Stay the Night scheme I have started a new thread in U.K. camping with details 👍

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
David just a few miles after Clatteringshaws heading west towards Newton Stewart is a lovely spot at Murray’s house, also at the far end of raiders road there’s a two tier car park overlooking the loch, we’ve always found it lovely and peaceful there.
Hi Gerry, the two tier car park on The Raiders Road is the only place where I was asked not to overnight in the whole of the forest park. The ranger (a very nice lady) asked me to avoid over nighting in the picnic areas of the park & on The Raiders Road in particular, but any other spot where it wouldn't cause a blockage would be just fine!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gerry, the two tier car park on The Raiders Road is the only place where I was asked not to overnight in the whole of the forest park. The ranger (a very nice lady) asked me to avoid over nighting in the picnic areas of the park & on The Raiders Road in particular, but any other spot where it wouldn't cause a blockage would be just fine!
We’ve stayed there often and on one occasion the Ranger joined us for a cuppa and a chat, however if asked to move on I would without hesitation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back