Local Motorhome hire place ... advertising (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
This morning on FB a local motorhome hire place offered me a 6 seater MH for £250 for the bank holiday weekend (return by 9pm the monday, pickup Friday 8am). Decent deal you would think right for 4 nights:

Not the deal it seems -> we struggled as I'm sure many of us have in getting campsites for this weekend (being a school break too) even 4 weeks ago there was almost zero avaialblility at both CAMC and CACC sites, we ended up booking an independant site at £30 a night, was sold out following week. (and we booked this start of March). I suspect this is all due to the general wetness right now meaning grass pitches are for most part unavailable/unusable.

Now my question is -> how many people hiring such a motorhome would have any clue on if they could actually park the motorhome this upcoming weekend? And yes, we all know we can park anywhere, but surely it is a recipe for disaster for a "new" motorhomer to find all the sites "effectively full" on a first hire?

I'm just worried about where the poor "hirer" will dump their waste, as not like there are a lot of aires around here.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
£250 sounds very cheap especially for Easter weekend. I would have expected 2 to 3 times that price.
6 seats and probably registered at 3.5t?

OP
OP
S
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
£250 sounds very cheap especially for Easter weekend. I would have expected 2 to 3 times that price.
6 seats and probably registered at 3.5t?
Yeah, it was a Dethleth or similar, presumably a late cancellation.

Just thought it would give a pretty poor experience to a "hirer" taking the deal not aware of the campsite situation this time of year though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Yeah, it was a Dethleth or similar, presumably a late cancellation.

Just thought it would give a pretty poor experience to a "hirer" taking the deal not aware of the campsite situation this time of year though.
I would have thought you'd check site availability before paying for the van hire. It's much the same as booking a hotel without a flight . Lot more hotels than plane seats 🤷‍♀️

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I would have thought you'd check site availability before paying for the van hire. It's much the same as booking a hotel without a flight . Lot more hotels than plane seats 🤷‍♀️
Yebbut, you and I think that, but I suspect they don't know what they don't know. They are probably influenced by the TV progs or YouTube bloggers where it all seems to be so informal and relaxed, in a 'Carry on Camping' sort of way.

OP
OP
S
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Yebbut, you and I think that, but I suspect they don't know what they don't know. They are probably influenced by the relaxed TV progs or YouTube bloggers where it all seems to be so easy.
Exactly, it's just a bit "off" as whoever does rent the van will likely have a bad experience, which any of us more experienced Motorhomers would have known a month ago with the early Easter this year, and unusable grass.

In summer bank holidays this is far less of an issue we all know as grass pitches are typically available, tripling available pitches in quite a few of the campsites. And yes, if the van was for use in Europe I think it would be fine, as we all know that EU and France are far better setup for touring than UK.

This point is exactly why I started a thread here, as I'm not sure it's entirely fair on whoeveer gets this (admittedly excellent) price this weekend and gets disapointed with "layby living".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back