Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, all just thought I'd let you know we had to have our Shih-tzu dog put to sleep yesterday. She was only just over a year old and had started to vomit first thing in the morning. After many tests and scans and being neutered because they thought it was her hormones, she had some biopsies taken and unfortunately these showed abnormal cells- turned out to be Lymphoma, so basically nothing ould be done except chemo, which would have given her poor quality of life for maybe 12 months. We couldn't see her suffer like that so took the very hard decision to call it a day and end her suffering.
As you see, the title of this post is a bit strange- but it is only 2 1/2 years ago we had to have our American Cocker Spaniel put to sleep too. She was only 2yrs 7 mths and she developed a shunt on her liver that was inoperable so we had the hearbreaking decision to make then.
We have decided not to have anymore pets, the heartbreak is just too much when decisions like this have to be made.

Regards, Dave & Jenny

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a very difficult decision at the best of times.

we had two of ours 'put to sleep' in the last few years.....one was 17 and lost the ability to even stand, the other was 15 and developed bowel cancer.

we called the vet out to the first one but as she was preparing the injection the old girl just gave up and died.(still got the bill for callout though:Angry:)

the other hadnt 'dumped' for a fortnight and had no chance of doing so, so the 'not so difficult' decision had to be made.

when our other 4's time is up i wouldnt get another....but thats my feeling now ! who knows later.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Over the years we have had to have more than one of our dogs put to sleep, generally when quite old. They are part of the family and it hurts :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Hi Dave and Jenny

Sorry to hear of your loss and please do not let you put you off having another dog. Some breeds are more prone to problems but like humans there are no guarantees in life.

When we first got Rory I worried about what would happen if anthing happened to him. Now although I worry about him, it is in the context of enjoying our time with him and not thinking too much in the future!

Life without a dog is now something | would not contemplate as they bring so much fun to life.

Regards

Kath

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Great friend

Very sorry to hear of you sad loss . I really is heartbreaking when they go We have had dogs (and kids) for all of 2 years of our 40 years together. My last one (Max was 17)when I had to put him to sleep and it broke my heart. I still take him for walks now. We haven't had one since, due to circumastnces, but will get another one next year. We always had Jack Russells as they are a hardy breed . Don't give up! With the current financial crisis there are 100's in dogs homes looking for a good home.:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thats really sad. I can't imagine being wth out my girl although its inevitable at some point. Im sure in her short life you made it wonderful for her.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
A very hard decision for you but you did the best thing. We know what it's like and feel for you.
We lost our tabby four years ago but he was so ill at the end, it was a relief to stop the pain. But we have another rescue Burmese now. She is getting older,too, but it's hard to live without that special bond of affection,comic behaviour and independence they all have.
best wishes for now,
Lucille

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back