LH drive van

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Wildbill, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]hi all we have just today paid a deposit on a LH drive van watt sort of problems will I have her in the uk if any mot insurance things like that o and by the way if your wondering why I got LH the price was right [/FONT]
    :RollEyes:[/FONT]

2. ehuplad

ehuplad Read Only Funster

Non, or should I say I did not have any issue's with a lhd

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

+1.had a LHD van in the UK for 2 years without any problems whatsoever and of course was correct when I came back to France permanently more recently.
    In fact I think it was beneficial in the UK as easier to hug the kerb to avoid the 4x4 school runners who seem to be oblivious to whats going on around them or on the phone.Except for the one who bust my mirror so hard it dented the door also!!:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I bet it was one of those uninsured runners. Hope you got his number, and what was he doing on the road anyway. Was it one of those hit and runners, who just get up and run away :Smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

what you getting Bill? be sure to take your gaslow with ya :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

No problems at all. Even fewer than running a LHD car, as such a large proportion of motorhomes are LHD that most insurers are geared up for it. Obviously if you're picking up a non-UK registered LHD, you may need to convert before you can register in UK. This includes fixing the headlights and ensuring the speedo reads in mph.

If it doesn't already have one, get yourself a very decent wide angle mirror, or merging can be stressful.

7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

hagger it is a Defflthis 1990 six birth i will remove the gaslow from old van cant waight to the end of month to get the new van :BigGrin:
    [FONT=&quot]We must have a proper van warming the next time we met cum an get drilled I have been hagerd champerd egeyd and johnandsheld my turn he he [/FONT]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. steevie

steevie Funster

you will get used to it fairly quickly, but the missis might not. Its a bit daunting sitting in the middle of the road as large trucks come at you, then later she may become part of the driving team, as the passenger can help considerably when overtaking, and entering roundabouts etc. As for insurance, they always seem to ask if it is left hand drive, but I dont think it puts it up much really. Good luck with it, and enjoy.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I drive a lhd and the only problem I've found is at intersections. I have to drive square onto the line across the road in order to see to the right. Otherwise no problems with insurance, MOT or anything else - so far!:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I think being LHD added about £20 to my insurance so negligible.
    If I can drive one on my own, anyone can! Sometimes the vision is a bit limited to the right, make sure you approach junctions slowly so you can stop a bit back, position yourself just right etc.. If all else feels I have to slip off seat belt and get out of seat to look!
    If there are 2 of you, no problem, but I've not been able to train the dog to be a reliable look out.:Wink:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  11. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

I found it beneficial to fit one of those little extra mirrors on top of the right mirror and angled to enable me to see more at the difficult intersections,so if you like I have 3 points of slightly different view plus put the blind up over the kitchen area for real acute angles or when alone can see through that window.
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

thank you for that it has one of them fifted looking forward to the chalenge
    it will be fun :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1