Leisure Battery Charging (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
B630 Starline
Exp
Since 2021
Advice please : I've no solar but if my AGM battery gets low could I plug my CETEK battery charger into the AC plug socket on my 'ALLPOWER' 500w portable lithium pack ?
{ I'm presuming that the CETEK would act as a regulator similar to a solar regulator}

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
As long as your power pack produces “normal” 230v and your charger runs on 230v then no problem. Inefficient but if it’s your only way …

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your 500w power pack will be dead long before the leisure battery is anywhere near charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yes, it's a good way to top up your AGM battery. You can calculate how many amp-hours (Ah) at 12V the power pack can hold. Look at the battery capacity in watt-hours (Wh), not the inverter watts output. If the battery spec says its capacity is 500 watt-hours (Wh) then it can hold 500 / 12 = 41Ah. That is the maximum Ah that it could theoretically put into the AGM battery. In reality it would only put in about 70% to 80% of that, so more like 30Ah to 33Ah. So you might have to refill the power pack several times to completely fill a big battery.

And CTEK chargers are in my opinion one of the best. Perfect for maintaining batteries in top condition.

OP
OP
CORNHYM
Jan 2, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
B630 Starline
Exp
Since 2021
Thanks for the helpful info.guys, I've looked at the power pack spec.and it it 606Wh/12 = 50Ah.
I thought that I would probably only use it to top up the leisure battery if it got too low to avoid damage to it etc.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Another way lead-acid based batteries degrade is if they are not charged up to 100% every month or so. With that power pack you have everything you need to solve that problem. Get the batteries up to around 100%, then take a full power pack and let it do a full 'absorption' charge. This might take several hours, so you could leave it overnight. If you do that every month or so that should keep them in good shape.

What happens is, when a battery discharges, the plate materials (lead, lead oxide) change into soft gooey lead sulfate. When it recharges, the lead sulfate turns back into the plate materials again. If the lead sulfate is left for several weeks, it gradually crystallises, and it's impossible to turn it back into the plate materials again. So the battery gradually loses capacity. Charging to 100% gets rid of any remaining sulfate, so it doesn't have chance to crystallise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back