Leisure battery an interesting website

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by SandJ, Feb 1, 2015.

1. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

It's rubbish.

Silver Calcium batteries are constructed to take the heat of rapid repeated charges and quick discharge.
    It is the heat which is the issue and requires the silver calcium support grids, not the depth of discharge.
    Industry still uses traditional open lead acid cells for a very good reason. They are economical and they work well.
    What is far more important than what is supporting the plate material is the plate material itself. Every deep discharge causes loss of plate material. The more of it there is, the longer it will last.
    Heavy batteries will last longer.

The reasoning behind using a silver calcium starter battery in a deep discharge application is flawed and should be discounted.

They are hardy the latest advance in cell technology either. They have been used by Ford for at least 8 years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

what is normally more relevant is the reliability and cost. the absolute best I have seen for longevity of life are banner traction batteries, but they cost much more.
    a very good mid range alternative is the alphaline range of deep discharge batteries. very heavy lead plates and a 4 year warranty. prices are excellent too. £65 delivered for a 110ah. if they only last 4 years then that makes just over £16 per year, which to me is a bargain

• Like Like x 2
  5. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I note that Varta don't recommend the silver ones themselves for leisure use so I agree RUBBISH.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thanks for the Link SandJ, I am currently interested in this subject as I am in the market for a new set of batteries. However I got to this bit before giving up.

At this point I knew for a fact that I couldn't trust the article. Lead batteries are 97% recycled. In fact they have the best recycling record of any consumer product bar none. In the US the figure is 99%. This far exceeds the recycling level for any other battery and with lower environmental impact as well. Lead is much easier to recycle than say Lithium Polymer or Nickel Cadmium and is better environmentally in the initial production..

Secondly, As someone else has already stated in this thread. Every cycle a small amount of the lead is used/lost so therefore the more of it the better.

As for the premise of the article that it is kinder to the battery charger. I agree in some respect I have had a cheap charger fail because of a battery fault. But this was a £500 VRLA AGM battery. Top of the range and it lasted almost 8 years of heavy use. The charger was an el cheapo. The battery I believe developed a short internally or similar problem so the charger was permanently on trying to charge the battery. It burnt out a mosfet. I blame this on the charger. The charger should have detected it's own temperature was at detrimental levels and taken action to protect itself. My new charger is a 50Amp one from Sterling which I am sure would not fail.

Anyway, I have lost faith that anything this article says is accurate. I will stick to the heaviest battery by a quality manufacturer I can afford. I will continue to ignore clever advances in this most basic of technologies. I will continue to avoid Gel batteries.

• Like Like x 6