LED lamps

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Zains Pops, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Looking at changing the G4 halogen lamps in the van with Warm white LED's. Looking on the net the prices seem to be Ll over the place from £ 1.25 to £4.00 each.I need 10 to complete the change so cost an element to be taken into account,especially as the halogens all work fine.
    Any other funsters been around this track and any advice appreciated.

2. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

£1.25 more than enough lol.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

99p £1.25 £4.99 no different from each other as all made at the same factory in China

the 99p bulbs last a good couple of years and for the cost and ease to replace are the sensible choice. why pay more?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

have a look on www.banggood.com, recently changed all mine to LED's at a bargain price and the service was brilliant. :thumb:

5. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

I hope this isn't a daft question - but - can you fit these LED's directly into the halogen holder as a straight swap??? (halogen bulb out, LED bulb in?)
    For some reason I thought there had to be some electrical shenanigans and rewiring or extra gizmo boxes fitted??? (u can tell I'm not very technical!)

if theyre a straight swapover - then great, i'll be ordering some:thumb:

6. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Straight swap for 12V. Except that most 12V LED bulbs are polarity sensitive and some H4 bulbs physically can't be rotated without the light facing the ceiling as it were. In those cases, the fitting needs to rewired to swap polarity.

7. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

We changed all of ours to LED's. We have since changed a number of the warm whites to cool whites as they are brighter for reading and food prep etc.
    We purchased all of ours at Shepton Mallet and annoyingly one is already playing up by flickering.

8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Flickering is usually caused by poor contact with the pins. Take it out, GENTLY bend the pins towards each other, then replace it.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I changed all the lights to LED on our van, using a mixture from China, through UK eBay suppliers to Aten/Ledbulbs4u.

The cheaper ones are flimsier but none have failed. Having said that, the ones we use mainly are the ones from Aten/Ledbulbs4u so definitely not a scientific experiment.

10. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

I paid £15 for 20 G4 pure white LED's from Banggood, they slotted right in place however there is a right and wrong way so if they didn't light up we just turned them over and they worked perfectly :thumb:

11. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Thanks tony idle for the tip. Unfortunately have tried that and tried it in two other fittings. It's just one of those things you have to occasionally accept.:thumb:

12. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

I would also recommend Aten Lighting for LEDs. Excellent quality, work well.

I bought some LED strips off eBay last year; they came from afar. The CCT, colour, of some of them has changed from white to warm white. This may not be as much of an issue with single lamps, if they're not side by side.

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The more expensive are regulated and will run off 8v-30v generally. The cheap ones are 12v only and may not last as long with voltages of up to 14.5v on charge. The cheap ones are very cheap though so having to replace a few may not be an issue. All mine are regulated ones and some are 5 years old and still going strong.

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I bought two lots of these these. All 16 worked fine without problems. The seller is based in Hong Kong, but the bulbs were sent from the UK.

15. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

can you tell me please which colour ie warm white or cool white is the very bright white light,as i need to replace one failed led in a bank of 5.:thumb:

16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Cool man.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

The cool white ones are very white - does anyone else find them too bright and stark for a MH - they wake me up during the evening so I don't sleep as well. I am looking at getting some warm LEDs to replace our halogens.

18. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

The 'white' ones, almost a blue light, will have a colour temperature of 6000K. Look for some nearer to 4000K. The white ones are good for the shower/toilet, because they appear brighter but they actually, like for like, only reflect colours more starkly.

19. Deg3y

Deg3y Funster

Changed my lights in my 1988 Swift Kontiki, removed the "lamps & shades" & put a switched warm light strips over the pelmets above the side windows, 1 led spot over the table for reading etc., I also put small strips above the little shelves & a blue one in the drinks cabinet, (put this is on a micro switch so it only comes on when the door opens). replaced over the sink / cooker area (this is a cool light but looks more blue) & nice bright white in the washroom,(wired direct from original light fitting).
    I did all this as I am often away no EHU & with my 80w solar panel on the roof, has coped with it all with ease. My LED lights all came via Ebay, Chinese company & posted from the UK.
    Such Fun.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. mentaliss

mentaliss

LED

From my Bongo to Rapido to Dethleffs, I have changed all the Hal's to Led, Aten mentioned in this topic are very helpful especially at the shows, unfortunately having used several suppliers Aten appear to be the most expensive, Ultra bulbs I believe are the same quality and have more choice plus they do better deals when purchasing multiple quantities. Its not true that all these bulb's come from the same manufacture (two colleague's of mine who work in the IT industry in Hong Kong tell me that there are many different LED bulb manufacture's in china):Smile: