Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Slightly off topic but what the hell.:D
A few years ago I had the idea of renting the bottom floor of an old mill and opening a storage facility for caravans, MoHo's, vans etc and offering a 'get them ready' service. A wash and brush up before you go away, charging service for the leisure/traction battery, fridge freeze down and the same could be done for any vehicle left in store. I wonder if it would have took off?(n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well I've got myself one of these, I'm just not entirely happy about leaving it going for three months, probably the ex fireman in me! I was thinking about putting a timer on it so it comes on for say 15 mins a day? or screwfix sell a weekly programmable timer @ £7.99 that I could set to come on once a week for an hour or so?

understand where your coming from.. for 3 months I'd think about removing the battery,.. charge it fully, and store in the shed or on the workshop bench..

I have an old 12v battery that's been standing for a couple of years and still holds a charge

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Is a timer not as likely to go up in flames as the charger?

Mel

Yes absolutely. It's just the law of probability, the charger would not normally be used in such a way whereas at least the timer is designed to be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Mel
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
understand where your coming from.. for 3 months I'd think about removing the battery,.. charge it fully, and store in the shed or on the workshop bench..

I have an old 12v battery that's been standing for a couple of years and still holds a charge

I'd thought of that Jim, problem is it's an old Stype Jag and where I have my service etc advised against doing that because of shutting down the engine management system for a long period. They're well know for being overly troublesome on electtics so I didn't want to temp fate!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@daveandginny and @ScotJimland. Surely leaving the car on charge with a smart charger, is no more of a danger, than our MHs being on a site EHU for three months, with the Schaudt EBL smart charger?

Until a few months ago, I had a spare battery connected to one of the Aldi/Lidl smart chargers permanently for a long time, with no adverse effects either on the FLA battery, or it's environment. (y)
As a result, I wouldn't hesitate to leave it connected to the family car whilst away for months, and would also consider the timer idea for daily or weekly short charging. however, I would make a keyholder aware of the set up before leaving. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
@daveandginny and @ScotJimland. Surely leaving the car on charge with a smart charger, is no more of a danger, than our MHs being on a site EHU for three months, with the Schaudt EBL smart charger?

Until a few months ago, I had a spare battery connected to one of the Aldi/Lidl smart chargers permanently for a long time, with no adverse effects either on the FLA battery, or it's environment. (y)
As a result, I wouldn't hesitate to leave it connected to the family car whilst away for months, and would also consider the timer idea for daily or weekly short charging. however, I would make a keyholder aware of the set up before leaving. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

I'm sure you are quite right Jock. It's probably just me 'over thinking' things as per normal :unsure:.

That's one problem with all this retired spare time lark!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back