Leaving MH on EHU

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by The Dude, Oct 28, 2014.

1. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We will be away for approx 3 months (not in the MH). The MH is parked on our drive and we could leave it on EHU for the whole 3 months, however we're wondering if this is a good idea or not. Any advice would be appreciated - pros and cons.
    Thanks.

2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Mines always on EHU when on the drive.. Also heating left on low over winter..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I don't see any reason why not , we leave ours plugged in all the time we aren't using it.
    I suppose the main thing to consider is the battery charging. Ours has a smart charger and is ok if permanently connected. We also have the heating on low when it's cold.
    If you aren't sure about the safety of it being "live" on its own, I suppose for peace of mind it's best to not have it connected and make sure it's fully winterised if you are doing it shortly
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Personally, I wouldn't.. not for three months with no one there.. if something goes wrong who will deal with it.. ?

I would disconnect the batteries and store in the shed or garage.. fully charge them and they will last three months ..

Also check with your insurance .. are you covered when you are not at home ?

• Like Like x 2
  5. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

You could maybe ask a neighbour to plug it in for several hrs one day a week.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

You could also use a time clock plug thing, 4 0n 4 off or what ever. but i would have something on winter is coming.
    Steve

• Like Like x 3
  7. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Good idea - now why didn't I think of that? Doh!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

also remember that some mh will have auto drain on the hot water system so if it gets below 7/8c it will open

• Like Like x 1
  9. wanderer

wanderer Funster

We leave ours for months at a time plugged in with a timer 12 on 12 off no problems in six years

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Dude

The Dude Funster

That's good to know. I've just ordered a DIGITAL timer from Amazon as we often have short power cuts here so it will maintain it's settings.

11. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We have a intelligent charger and the motorhome is left on EHU on the drive 24/7. Once all the batteries are fully charged its just takes a tiny amount of current.

Probably just enough to run the alarm system.

Three years now and no problems. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

I'm sure many of you leave them plugged in for weeks or even months at a time with NO problems..

but are any of you willing to guarantee 100% that the Dude's won't develop a fault that may cause a fire, even on a timer .. ?

Granted, it's a small risk .. but I'd rest much easier KNOWING it couldn't catch fire .. I've seen plenty electric kit that's ran for years with no problems decide to give up the ghost and go on fire..

It's all a matter of risk assessment..

Your assessment.. your risk

• Like Like x 2
  13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Electrical stuff is a lot safer nowadays, assuming your van has an electrical safety certificate or a recent hab test, there should be no problems, although I agree it would be a good idea to get someone to look in now and again.
    A lot of people still unplug everything at home when they go away.......except the fridge. We all trust the fridge don't we?
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I am happy leaving mine plugged in, the system has MCB's and fuses to protect it. For a fire to develop a wire in a component, for example the battery charger would need to be getting very hot indeed before which a fuse would blow.

• Like Like x 2
  15. scotjimland

Hmm.. if all these safety devices are so good, I wonder why so many camper vans go on fire .. ?
    Google camper van fires..

anyway.. each to their own.. it's good to see that there is so much faith in modern electrical kit.. in my not inconsiderable experience modern stuff is built to cost not quality.. and not nearly as good as it were 30 or more years ago.. it has built in redundancy..

as an example.. yesterday I bought a battery charger and a soldering iron from Aldi ..

the charger works.. the soldering iron doesn't, cold as ice .. so it will cost me more in petrol to get an exchange than it cost in the first place.. .. so much for buying cheap.. you get cheap, not good .. :rolleyes:

16. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Strange i have not seen one piece of electrical kit catch fire i am sure it happens but not plenty . Surely its the same risks wherever you plug in probably more so on a campsite as you are working more appliances

• Like Like x 1
  17. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

As ScotJimland says - "each to their own". One winter, I left ours plugged in, but not anymore. I offer the following two thoughts:
    1. If you have a continental van equipped with an Elektrobloc then A&N who service and repair them in the UK recommend that you do not leave it plugged in for a very long time as this can lead to failure.
    2. Even if everything else is fine, should you have a cell in a battery fail whilst the charger is connected, it is likely to gas. This happened to me with the original Exide gels. The van was plugged in on the drive and the CO alarm started going bonkers - they are sensitive to other gases too. The van was filled with foul-smelling Hydrogen Sulphide. Not a risk I would want to run if the van was unattended. Your batteries may be new and in perfect condition - but there is still a possibility of failure at some stage.

• Like Like x 2
  18. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Oh dear - now I don't know what to do!

19. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

I would never argue with the guys who are posting very valid responses to your query, their knowledge has been invaluable to me. What I would say is perhaps the question might get a different answer from them if you were to say.... I'm leaving my van for three months how can I make sure the batteries etc stay in prime condition, is it a good idea to use a timer set for on/off every 24 hours etc if you get my drift.

From my own point of view, my van has been on permanent EHU for 12 years when not in use. I should point out that I have had two new electroblocs, damaged through my own stupidity and nothing to do with being on EHU, and have just replaced the original batteries which were 14 years old. These may well have been damaged by constant EHU but is a cost I can live with after 14 years. I have my van undercover so the Solar panels have little or no effect, whether or not this would make a difference I don't know. All other comments re fire,insurance,gassing etc are valid and as scotjimland says it is a matter of risk assessment.

So guys, what it the perfect/preferred solution when not using your van?

• Like Like x 1
  20. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

With all due respect.. Using Google results isn't a good way to prove something (try typing aliens land and see how many hits you get)
    I've never seen a modern motorhome catch fire...
    I don't believe there's any evidence that leaving a modern motorhome on EHU is dangerous in any way.
    We certainly wouldn't be able to leave our heating on low in colder weather if we didn't..
    Its a choice thing to isn't it.

• Like Like x 2