Learning Curve

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by mac3, Jan 21, 2012.

1. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

hello,just joined forum today.recently bought 1st motorhome,2001 hymer b584(noticed you have hymer, hence this msg).only been away for a couple of weekends so far,but i love my van despite teething problems and my woeful lack of knowledge about things mechanical and electrical (am female),not stupid but i just never learned this stuff. today i parked outside parents house to plug into electric (had new engine battery put in this week,yes old one died cos i left van too long) . anyway, plugged in and when i switched on 12 volt switch there was a constant sound which i thought was the cab heater fan but couldnt turn it off. when i switched off 12 vlt, the noise stopped with an accompanying click.did sound like noise was coming from dash area. also i dont know when to switch 12 volt on and off anyway re charging batteries. the seemingly comprehensive handbook uses terminology above my head and i wish i had someone to explain things,or could do a course or read a book i could understand. would so appreciate any tips and guidance.

Originally posted as a PM to Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  2. taffybloke

taffybloke Funster

Hello. :welcome: to the forum

I am sure the hymer owners will answer your questions soon.

Mike

3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Hi and welcome.
    Can't help you, I'm afraid, as I'm in the same boat! It's fine having all the books--I got a boxful with mine--but a lot of the technical terms mean nothing to me either,
    You'll get lots of advice here, so ask away, as there's always someone who knows the answer.

4. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

thanks for that.

5. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Hallooo Mac3 and :welcome:...

6. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Just a thought: whereabouts in the van is your 12v switch? We had similar puzzle a while back - every time we switched on the 12v switch (ours is on the dash) this buzzing noise happened. Turned out one of the water taps was not turned off completely and was activating the pump. Though tank is under the front seats the noise appeared to be coming from the dash area.

:thumb:

7. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

oh dear, trying to thank you for your kindness,but another learning curve for me with communication on here!

8. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

good luck to you and me and thanks!

9. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

thankyou for that. 12v switch above back door,and i did think noise sounded a bit pumplike as much as heater fan,so where's the pump by the way? oops, now you mention it , did i leave taps on deliberately when drained water tanks in case of frost? think your'e on to something? embarrassed, me?

• Like Like x 1
  10. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Haha! Take a deep breath! We're all learning - all the time! (See pm).

:Cool:

11. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I am afraid I can't help either........but never worry about asking anything remember it is the fool who dosn't ask.....the one who does just requires more knowledge :thumb: good luck you will soon get the answers you need.

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

Wise words and thankyou. So glad I registered here!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Mac, welcome to Motorhome Fun, hope you have sorted out your problem now, like you have found out when the taps are open the pump keeps working even left a small bit
    We have the 584 as well, one thing I found out the hard way when having a shower put my clothes and towel on the toilet seat on top of the toilet flusher, wonder what the noise was the clothes etc had pressed down on the flusher and the loo was just about to flow over when I found out what the noise was.
    Now I never put anything on the loo when having a shower.

Keep asking the questions its the only way to find your way around these things.:welcomefunster:

• Like Like x 1
  14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

The pump is a twin-barrelled submerged version that sits in the water tank. You MUST NOT run it without water in the tank or it will burn out. Make sure you shut all taps before turning on the 12V switch.

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

on the panel above the door, there may be a water pump on/off switch.

16. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

Yes! Turned off taps- no noise! Thankyou so much. Have to wait till Ifill up with water to see if I damaged pump.Hopefully not as it was only on for a few seconds,albeit several times, while I was trying to locate where noise was coming from.Sobering how potentially expensive this learning curve could be, but already feel safer and more confident now I'm part of this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  17. aba

aba

it is a friendly place here and you learn so much and meet new friends.
    the chat room can be an entertaining place too and theres a general knowledge quiz on a thursday evening at 8 pm.

feel free to call in to the chat rooms there is normally someone in there although numbers do change with the days and times. but don't be shy and ask away.

18. Drew

Drew Funster

Funny I did exactly that, took me a while to work it ou:Doh:

Another trick to remember is that when you turn the gas off the fridge won't work on gas until you switch it back on, neither will the heating, I forgot that as well and was about to call the dealer to get someone to sort it when it dawned on me. I had drained the system but there is an automatic valve that opens below 8c, you have to turn the heater on to keep it from opening if the temp is low:Blush:

We all live and learn.

19. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

Thankyou. I read your message this morning, and in fact was lying awake in the night thinking how unwise it might be for the pump to be running without water. Suppose I'll have to wait till I fill up with water to see. Fingers crossed and thankyou. Any other tips on how to avoid the more expensve mistakes would be much appreciated! Already learned the battery one and know to disconnect negative terminal in future if laying up.Don't intend leaving "her" (?) (don't know where "her" came from but "it" feels disrespectful) for as long as a week from now on though. (she might feel abandoned, ha ha )

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac3

mac3 Read Only Funster

Thanks for that.