Leaking mixer tap

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dai Motorhome, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Dai Motorhome

Dai Motorhome Read Only Funster

My sink mixer tap is leaking from the base when I turn the nozzle in a particular direction? Anyone had anything similar? Is it a repair or replacement job?
    Cheers
    Dai

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Probably just an O ring , if it was mine before replacing it I would have it to bits and have a look , can't lose anything if you are going to replace it any way:thumb:

3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Just a suggestion.
    Sometimes it just appears to be leaking from the base when it is actually running down the underside of the spout. I'd recommend drying the area and trying it again with some kitchen towel wrapped around the stem and see if it still leaks

• Like Like x 2
  4. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

Leaking tap

MORE THAN LIKELY YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE INTENAL UNIT ,IT IS A THREE WAY SINLE UNIT UNDO TAP [ALLEN KEY] UNDO NET LIFT OUT UNIT AND REPLACE,MOST PROBABLY ONE OF THE O RINGS IS LEAKING,DONE MINE A COUPLE OF TIMES ESPACIALY AFTER WINTER:thumb:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  5. Dai Motorhome

Dai Motorhome Read Only Funster

Any idea where I can get the internal unit ?

6. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

'Dai' - just love saying that name, reminds me of my schooldays. Everyone was Dai, Dai the milk (milkman), Dai spanners (he was the local mechanic) Dai dog (local hunter type) and then Dai bladders - I won't go into what he was 'famous' for, certainly not on here.
    :Laughing:
    Just before you remove it (after trying what Techno suggests) try running it whilst on hot and hot water is coming through. A lot of taps get this leak, especially after being parked up, like if the rubber seals go hard.

Had one or two do this but once run on hot which softens the rubbers, helps with seating and I have moved the supplies about underneath the tap, hey presto. Our shower mixer did it recently but same done and we are in business.

Hope it helps.

Trikeman. :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

When you take the top off the tap, you may see a brass locking ring with two notches in it, try and tighten this down a bit, maybe even a fraction of a turn and it will tighten up on the O rings. Our tap froze up one winter and I thought it had cracked the ceramic valve seat, once I got it apart I realised that the ice had expanded and stretched the body or compressed the O rings and all I had to do was tighten the ring down to take up the slack. You can get replacement cartridge kits from the web no problem.