Le Voyageur advice please.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by flyboyprowler, Oct 21, 2013.

1. flyboyprowler

flyboyprowler Read Only Funster

Just when we were ready to sign for a Burstner, we have been offered a 2 berth Voyageur, with 3 travelling seats, at a very good price.
    Does anyone have any views, either good or bad on the maker and, as this is a RHD van, and I wanted LHD (for continental touring) so does RHD really hamper you on the continent.
    This is a nice van IMHO, and I am tempted!! We felt we needed 4 berths for those very rare occasions when friends would join us, but this comes with a full safari tent as well.
    Help please!

2. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We have a burstner and love it but don't be tempted into buying something that does not meet your needs or you will regret it later
    Think very carefully:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Buy it for yourselves not your friends!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

In my opinion (from a solo's point of view) the only problem with RHD is when paying tolls. Any other occasion no problem.

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I would generally agree, but with an A class we have plenty of room to move across the cab, I went to Le Mans on my own, but really getting out to pay is not the end of the world, if you need to put cash in it is probably easier.

IMO Don't depend on a safari room for accommodation, there will be times when you put it up just because you have to, without company, the weather or pitch would mean you would not use it

David

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Nice van, if your buying it from Hayes Leisure, no problems:thumb:

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi , I drive an A class rhd no problem on the continent been over 8 times never had a problem, well only once driving up to an aire at St Pierre de Chartreuse very windy road up steep incline approaching tight left hand bend with sheer drop on my right , when good old white van man ( I presume french) came around the opposite way like a bat out of hell , his van leaning over his wing mirror clipped mine with one hell of a bang breaking the glass but obviously snapped his off as the marks all down side of my van showed ( it started at mirror height decreasing down to bumper height at the rear most of which I could compound out, some small dents left ) it was a good job he wasn't 6 inches further over otherwise he would have pushed me over the edge of what was quite a sheer drop several 100 feet down.
    Having said that I have found french drivers in particular on the whole to mostly obey the speed limits thru villages and no overtaking rules on continuous white lines, also reasonable considerate.

8. flyboyprowler

Thanks for this. Hairy experiences aside, have you been happy with your Pilote, build quality wise, as I believe the Voyageur we are looking at comes from the same stable. I hope that you get to try some of our crazy Spanish roads, where we live there is daily danger on the mountains. Still the views are worth it!!

9. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi , Not done Spain prefer France , yes build quality brilliant on a par with Hymer, with similar layouts , I original back in 2005 wanted a Hymer but RHD on early and current models dont have a drivers door with Hymer and most continental suppliers, On my original Pilote Galaxy it had the build the same as british vans nearside hab door and drivers door, but since about 2002 Pilote have followed other continental builders and now only have offside hab door and passenger door ( no drivers door on A class) Hope this helps.
    Enjoy whatever you get . Terry

10. flyboyprowler

We have decided to go ahead with the Voyageur, and understand that as the habitation door is on the right, that, if required, we can have it matriculated in Spain. However, we will keep it as is for the moment, to see how it goes.

Really impressed with the test drive, and it will be sold to us ready to go. This is where it really gets exiting!!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  11. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

No problem with RHD on the continent, sometimes difficult at Tolls if single handed but you could always reverse through!:Rofl1:

12. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

le voyageur

Doubt if you will regret buying this especially as Me Voyageurs are premium versions of Pilote. I have never had any problems driving any of our vans abroad, and all have been Rhd. I suspect you'll be traveling 2 up most times so the passenger takes care of the tolls, and as for the lack of berths, we swapped our first 4 berth for our second three berth, and never regretted it. It gave us single beds, a bigger lounge, kitchen and bathroom and the only downside was a relative lack of external storage for those longer trips. Being on the kerbside as you drive is good especially on narrower roads and let's face it, other than on the motorways, when are you likely to want to overtake! Enjoy, and vive LA France!:thumb:

13. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:party2: Congratulations :party2:

14. booboo

booboo Read Only Funster

The only thing I don't like about RHD on mainland Europe is pulling out when their is a bend, also entering busy motorways. My advise is know your blind spots well!!! Every time you pull up walk around your vehicle a few times, yes you will look like a Pratt but it could end up saying you a lot of bother if not your life! :Smile:
    OK there may be two of you and that helps but there may also be an unexpected time when there is only one for what ever reason, I have been driving both RHD and LHD here for six years running. MY partner prefers RHD... I LHD

• Like Like x 1
  15. flyboyprowler

Thanks to all those of you with so much helpful advice. I don't feel that I will have a problem with RHD, but my next problem is insurance. As this vehicle is in Spain, UK reg RHD, I so far can't find any one to insure it as it is not starting in the UK!! Any thoughts? :Sad: I will put a separate question on the forum.

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Just insure at your West Sussex address, if you have permanantly moved then maybe you should update your profile details.:thumb:

17. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I have a Pilote Galaxy bought in June, so far very good, runs well and build quality is good.
    Suits our needs and is right hand drive with the door on the passenger side which doesn't present a problem, hab door is on the drivers side.
    Couple of days away last week with the Toad on and wouldn't have known it was there, off tomorrow for a couple of nights.

Not been abroad with it so cannot comment on how it would be.

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

They'd need to be damned good friends to share a MH. Most are devoid of any privacy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. flyboyprowler

Luckily, this comes with a big safari tent, so the "guests" can be housed, weather permitting, outside with a portaloo!!!!:Rofl1:

20. PeteH

PeteH Funster

The only drawback I found was that SWMBO got a bit nervous sometimes in heavy traffic Sitting in what she calls the Suicide seat!!. in the UK.