Last chance water pump repair

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by treeman, Jan 20, 2013.

1. treeman

treeman Read Only Funster

I have a Shurflo 2088 water pump for my fresh water and noticed a very slight leak coming from the unit. Looked on the net for repairs but general consensus is it's not a financially viable thing to do, especially as pump has a date of 7/90 on it !

One interesting idea I found though which I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on - if your pump has a small leak and you are considering replacing it, why not first try taking it apart, drying thoroughly all joints, gluing together and clamping tight as you can. Then try it and see?

Make sense? Worthwhile?

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

there is a service kit available for those pumps, but it can be up to half the price of a replacement pump

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

My RV pump, also a shurflo, was leaking and i did as you suggest.....strip, clean and rebuild.

i used blue Hylomar automotive gasket cement to 'stick' it back together with great results and you dont need to over tighten the screws.

the cement is toxic but the quantity used is insignificant and has had no ill effects over the last year or so.

figured if it seals car water pumps and thermostat housings it will seal a motorhome water pump

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

blue Hylomar automotive gasket cement

Good gear:thumb:

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gooney

Gooney Funster

God that stuffs been around for years, I remember it being introduced when the Hillman imp came out, it was recommended to seal the head gasket on them!!

6. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

Can you put a bigger water pump (more pressure) into an old system. I don't know what pump I've got (too cold to go out and the snow is slippery) but when using the shower, I can't lift the shower head higher than my waist if I want hot water - hang it on the wall at head height and all I get is an icy blast - woke me up if nothing else! :BigGrin:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

The pump on my 05 LMC died and Camper UK told me that the original pump had been superceded by a turbo pump ! They sent me one and I now have twice the water flow :BigGrin:

Mike.

8. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Highly reccomended for water pumps then:Rofl1: