Laptop

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bailey, Oct 9, 2013.

1. bailey

bailey

Guys there was a thread on this forum not so long ago about the best Laptop. Can't find it any suggestions

Bill

2. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

There's probably no such thing as the best laptop, just whats best for you. When my last one went belly up I bought a refurbished Dell Latitude, very good spec in it's day but important to me that it runs Windows XP as I have lots of useful software that won't run on 7 or 8.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Got a sony vaio which is now 7 years or so old, and never had a days issue with it. Only fault after all that time, is the battery doesn't last too long - but the replacement ones are only £20!

Other half has Compaq (HP) which is a nice macine, but wifi is pretty weak in comparison with the Sony. My Sony is always on full power or just under, hers struggles with reception, and always kicks on and off.

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have a Toshiba with 17" screen ( I LIKE acreage ! ) .. Had it for 5 years now and it still performs perfectly and the battery still lasts over an hour

Only issue I have is that I cannot up the software to Win7 as there are no video drivers available for it, but apart from that it is a great machine..

My son, Darrell, also has a Tosh and that has survived fits of temper, a drowning, and repeated attempts to loose it !!

Solid machines ...

6. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Apple Mac book Pro 13".. Expensive, but very intuitive and superb performance..

7. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Make sure it comes with proper anti virus protection.

8. ukbill

ukbill Funster

any lenova

9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I always buy HP business laptops (not consumer models), because they are pretty bullet proof. I have dropped them on the floor during powerpoint presentations and they just carried on. Split glass of wine on the keyboard with no problem (trying to eat drink and work on a train). And I always get a 3 year warranty just in case. My latest one, an Elitebook, has been faultless.

However the answer is, as other have said, it depends on what you use it for. And you now have a lot more choice. Nowadays my laptop never leaves my desk. Whenever I am away I use an Asus Android Tablet with detachable keyboard. With that I can run presentations, check emails, work on documents and spreadsheets and browse the web with a much smaller and lighter package that switches on instantly and run for a lot longer on its battery.

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

This question is nearly as bad as asking which is the best motorhome for you!!:Eeek:

11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

my nephew is an IT man and he recomends lenovas nothing special on paper but good quality components they go on and on

12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

13. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Rodney :Laughing:

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ukbill

ukbill Funster

yes lenova was ibm and to get things like drivers and updates its the easiest system i have ever had on any make of pc or laptop

15. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

I have had a Dell Inspiron 1520 which I got 'free' with a mobile phone contract about 5 years ago. Its still going strong and does everything I need.

I imagine many people needing a laptop for use in their van just want to check their emails, surf the internet etc You don't need a powerful / expensive machine to do these things, almost any laptop will do.

By the way I found Dell warranty repair (minor fault) and help superb, best service ever.

Paul