Lake District recommendations (1 Viewer)

Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Hi all,

We are planning to visit the Lake District for the first time but I've heard some stories of some roads being really tight and not ideal for motorhomes. I'm quite happy with pretty tight roads, and wondered if anyone has recommendations on sites/places to visit.

Our preference is for at least EHU and would like something near to lake(s) if possible.

Many thanks.

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Hoathwaite campsite ,right on Coniston Water
No ehu
6m limit on moho length
But the views and location are beautiful
Our favourite site in the lake district
It's run by the national trustđź‘Ť

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There are lots of campsites by lakes if you look on searchforsites / google maps etc
It is true many roads are single track with passing places and a lot of the carparks are small.
Google maps is useful for research and finding parking and the scenery is worth the effort.
But it is very popular area, if you can avoid weekends and school holidays it's much less stressful

OP
OP
Ray-Vic
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Thanks guys, that's perfect. I'll have a look at these suggestions.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
If you do stay on one of the Keswick club sites ( Derwentwater is one), you can always get the tour bus and see the area.

OP
OP
Ray-Vic
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
We have electric bikes and are happy to cycle 30 miles or so, so hopefully we should be able to see a little of the area.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We preferred Keswick area as south lakes so incredibly busy. Our favourite campsite was https://www.castlerigg.co.uk/touring-motor-caravan/
You could walk down through the woods into the town. From Keswick there’s a wee water taxi that takes you around Derwentwater - so you can get off at start of e.g Catbells, do the hill and get back on the water taxi at the other end.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Hoathwaite campsite ,right on Coniston Water
No ehu
6m limit on moho length
But the views and location are beautiful
Our favourite site in the lake district
It's run by the national trustđź‘Ť
I just had a look for this and it’s closed. We love Coniston. We usually stay at Coniston hall. you can’t book ahead and it can get very busy in summer. It’s fairly basic/rustic!

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Visit Kittchen (Pints & Pussy) in Hawkshead and The Crafty Baa in Windemere. Also Boaters Bar in Bowness (try the rope hook game).

Stay at Bownes-on-Widermere C&CC site, I also saw many Moho's parked up the carpark and I believe there is an ÂŁ11.00 8pm to 8am charge for overnighting.

OP
OP
Ray-Vic
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Thanks so much all, really useful and valuable information (except go to France :LOL:). We will be looking and booking this week and have found a couple of places which look suitable. Our motorhome is 7.9m so it seems we have to be a little selective.

Very excited!!

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Sykeside on Brother's water is a nice site. It is approximately 40 mins walk from Patterdale and then Glenridding. I tented on the site a few times and last year we took our MH. MH and caravans get a hard standing usually.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Thanks so much all, really useful and valuable information (except go to France :LOL:). We will be looking and booking this week and have found a couple of places which look suitable. Our motorhome is 7.9m so it seems we have to be a little selective.

Very excited!!
Coniston Hall campsite has some tight spots on the roads in and out. We are only 6m and a PVC so idk if you’d manage in yours!

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Have a look around Ullswater as well. My favourite lake and a bit quieter than the other ones. Couple of sites near Pooley Bridge. Good day out on the lake steamer where you can get off, do a walk of Hallin Fell or the lakeside walk from Howtown to Glenridding. Stunning scenery.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Waterside farm on Ullswater - a lovely site. We don’t do big sites and certainly not in season but we were enjoying this so much we stayed on over a bank holiday when it is packed- we still liked it!! Easy lakeside walk to Pooley Bridge and a much longer beautiful walk round the lake to Glenridding - catch the steamer back!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back