Ladies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Rob e Lee, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

How many of our lovely 'Lady Funsters' drive their Motorhomes and does size matter? - Motorhome that is :Smile:

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Shifty has no choice :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I always drive the motorhome.

We have covered 45000 miles in 5 years, mostly in Europe.

Our motorhome is 24 foot long but with low bike rack makes it about 26 foot long.

Motorhomes, drive exactly the same as cars, and being in a higher driving position makes it so much easier.

If you can drive a car, then you can drive a motorhome.:Smile:

So, no, size does not matter:Smile:

• Like Like x 7
  4. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Now and then, if I really stand my ground, force Colin's fingers to let go of the steering wheel and sulk for a while, then I am allowed a little drive.

When we had a Ford transit based van I used to drive it all the time, even going off for the weekend by myself, but he is very precious about this one, he thinks I cannot cope with the left hand drive thing. :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  5. The Dude

The Dude Funster

No, I don't - the idea terrifies me! However, I know I must 'bite the bullet' very soon as it's not fair to expect hubby to do all the driving and also I need to be confident enough to take over if we have an emergency or hubby has an injury/illness. I had planned to go on the motorhome manoeuvre course in Newark in Feb but it looks like it has been cancelled and the other courses available don't take place until after we have left for our extended trip across Europe to Crete. So either I just get behind the wheel and do it or I put it off until we get back later this year. Some reassurance from other lady drivers might help. Re size - our mh is quite a big beast - 24' 11" length plus tow bar.

• Like Like x 3
  6. davanne

davanne Funster

I do:BigGrin:
    I started driving 7.5 ton horse boxes in my twenties down narrow twisty lanes.
    When David was alive he did most of the driving although 2012 before he died I took over doing most of the driving.
    I changed the van last Autumn and intended downsizing from a 7.5 to something around 6 metres but ended up with my Freetec but hey what's a metre :thumb:
    As long as you know where your rear wheels are on corners and your length you won't go far wrong........oh and always remember your height I have it written on a card in metres and feet and inches.
    My new van has a rear view camera that works when going forward so I can check what's behind me....great on motorways:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I do - obviously as I started off as a solo traveller!

Shirley's not big but she's perfectly formed :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. kaybee

kaybee Funster

I do as I'm a solo traveller :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  9. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Im the only one that drives our outfit, its just over 42' long. My OH refuses to drive it unless I am ill (probs with spine and trapping nerves affecting left arm and legs, already had operations and been fixed then the next bit down starts to go) and that is only to get us home if we have been away, once my painkillers kick in he gets back in the passenger seat. Its not as if he isnt capable as he used to drive HGVs' he just plain refuses - then again he would be happy if i didnt have any form of holiday home on wheels- but that aint going to happen if i can help it.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I've only driven ours once, but then we've only been out twice ! I do intend to check out courses available round here just for the confidence thing though.

• Like Like x 2
  11. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

SWMBO won't drive ours under any circumstances, even if I was taken ill or had an accident. She would rather leave it and fly/bus/walk home, from where ever it may be.
    It's a nads short of 29' but drives better than our Discovery, which she loves. :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  12. buttons

buttons Funster

Driving your tractor courses should be available. Similar skill set:Smile:

13. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I'll let you know :Smile:

14. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

My wife has driven ours but would prefer not to. When she has driven it she's been fine but always looks tense and I can see that she's not enjoying the experience. She thinks size does matter and it's a bit big :Wink:

On one occasion she had no choice as I had come off my bike and broken my wrist whilst cycling in the New Forest.

I tried driving the Motorhome but it was incredibly painful trying to change gear. She realised then that she had to step in or it would have been so much aggravation trying to get home and she drove it impeccably :Smile:

She's never driven it since mind :Sad:

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  15. maz

maz Funster

I drive my own van and no, size does not matter. There can be very little difference in driving a 7m van or a 9m one (for the record, mine's 8m), other than in the mind. We're not talking articulated lorries here! :BigGrin:

You soon get used to the length (whatever it is). Just use your mirrors to watch what the back is doing as you turn. After a short while you just 'know' where the back end is. It's like you can feel the length behind you as you sit in the driver's seat. :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

[/HI]
    Really :Wink:

• Like Like x 4
  17. SharonL

SharonL Read Only Funster

Hope all these replies give you a confidence boost :thumb: I drive my small camper every day but its only a Mazda Bongo :Laughing: I've not yet drummed up the nerve to have a go driving Jims 36ft RV! :driving2::imoutahere:

Maybe if you will, so will I :Eeek: OMG I've said it now!

Bossman Jim used a good phrase that stuck in my head - he said the vehicle "shrinks around you" the more you drive it and I'm sure that must be true cos I went straight from driving a tiny VW Lupo to my Bongo which seemed big to me at first - and its also true the higher up you're sat makes it easier too :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  18. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

I have driven ours (Hymer 6MM long!!!) I have driven in it France, but don't like motorway driving in UK, cos all them big lorries.
    Rob prefer's to drive himself, but I know I can if need be:Doh:

19. Bebe

Bebe

My husband wouldn't let me drive our first motorhome ... Mmm why? Guess he thought only men drove them. Then we bought a new Bessacarr 675 and we joined the Swift Club. They had a Driving course and my friend and I added our names to the list. We all went away for the weekend, the men unaware their new toys were going to be snatched away. We arrived, the course was set, and my hubbies face when he realised his Bessy was going to be sabotaged by me. I jumped in and had to do revering through cones, zig zags etc. Then laps on the race course. Ha ... my hubby's face was a picture, he looked like a traffic cop (old style middle of the road type) waving me on, arm out stopping me, flagging me down telling me to slow down. Every time in went by his face was redder. In the end he run after me waving his arms. He said I was erratic going so fast when I didn't know how to drive one??? :Eeek:

He nearly stole the loudspeaker from the Marshall. Haha needless to say he encourages me to drive the motorhome now, and it's a bigger van now. No size doesn't matter. As long as I'm on the motorways .. it's no different. Haha :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jandek

Jandek Funster

I drive ours (7m ) quite happily at home and abroad. When we were planning our first tour in Europe I thought I should be able to drive in case Dek couldn't for whatever reason. I did not want to be in the position that I had to drive and didn't feel confident to do so. Went on a manouevering course which increased confidence no end.
    Anybody who is nervous - try it , once you start you will wonder what you were worried about

• Like Like x 1