Known Fiat/Rapido BCM(?) problem? (2 Viewers)

Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
Afternoon folks.
We’re due to pick up our brand new Rapido 854f on Saturday. It’s a 2023 model with the 9 speed Auto box on a 140Hp fiat ducato base with the digital dash.
The dealer has just called with a “pre collection courtesy call” checking we’re still good for the scheduled collection. During the call the very nice lady dropped in the fact that the vehicle is one with the “ known BCM(?) issue” that can cause problems but that the workshop and handover team will talk us through it on the day…
I’m not happy that this has only just been mentioned to me if it’s a known issue but don’t know how unhappy I should be. The lady didn’t seem to know much about the details other than it could blow a fuse, or trip something if certain things were done in a particular order. She said it’s a know Fiat issue which they’re working on and it will be solved as soon as Fiat come up with a fix.
Has anyone heard of this issue? Is it something to be concerned about or a minor niggle that’s unlikely ever to trouble us?
I’m hoping someone can enlighten me.

OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
According to Google:

What are the symptoms of a bad BCM?

Possible Symptoms of a Faulty Body Control Module

• Electronics Refuse to Work or Don't Work Right.
  • Lights Flashing Randomly.
  • Vehicle Refuses to Lock or Unlock.
  • Warning Lights on the Dashboard.
  • The Vehicle Refuses to Start.
Thanks Bernie, yes I’ve googled BCD issues and have found loads of horror stories about what happens when they fail.
I’m trying to understand this specific “known issue” on brand new vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well…. A difficult one this one, lots of questions would be going towards the dealer on this one especially how often is this fault likely to happen and is all that happens from the fault completely covered under warranty (what’s the dealer like on warranty fixes.?)

I would want written confirmation on this…

I can understand you want a van and this particular one and have probably already paid in full. How likely will fiat come up with a fix and when… would you trust it halfway across Spain…🤔

Like I said a difficult one, easy for me to say well I’ll have my money back and wait till it’s fixed as I don’t want to buy a broken motorhome from the start…

This is the first I’ve heard of this problem and I’d call them back tomorrow and get more info on it…

Good luck..

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just did a little search on this and the problem appears to be that when the bcm goes they are having trouble getting a new one…🤷🏼‍♂️

Could be a problem in the middle of your holidays…🤔

As I said only did a quick search and it does seem to be issues with older fiats too…

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
Cannot comment on “known issue” however it failed on my 2.3 Ducato 2018, symptoms were no electric windows, no wipers and outside temp not displaying on clocks.

Fortunately van was still under used warranty from dealer (it was just over 2 year old)

Not cheap to fix, circa £1300, new BCM from factory, then coding by dealer.

Main problem I had was getting a dealer to tackle the job.

I know of one other owner on this forum who experienced same problem.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Thanks All,
I’m continuing to research it but can’t find anything definite so am hoping it can’t be a big issue 🤞🤞🤞
It will be under guarantee and get the Fiat Assist which as you probably know will extend your warranty and give you European roadside assistance and recovery as well. Still need to apply for it at a Fiat Professional Garage within 14 days of registration still I believe. It's all too easy to overthink things, just go ahead and enjoy. Negatives always get publicised; the vast satisfied majority don't post generally.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
That is only for the 5 year extended warranty. Dealer should register the basic 2 year warranty with Fiat.
Hi Lenny,
Would fitting an alarm, immobiliser, tracker and a complete solar energy system void a warranty?.
I just worry that a Fiat Professional service shop could turn down a warranty claim by saying all that extra retro fitted stuff caused the problem.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny,
Would fitting an alarm, immobiliser, tracker and a complete solar energy system void a warranty?.
I just worry that a Fiat Professional service shop could turn down a warranty claim by saying all that extra retro fitted stuff caused the problem.
Not at far as I'm aware, in theory they probably could but unlikely too.
On a similar note converters say fitting items like solar panels voids the water ingress warranty but in practice they would have to proove what you did cased the leak.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
On a similar note converters say fitting items like solar panels voids the water ingress warranty but in practice they would have to proove what you did cased the leak.
Interesting point about the solar panels. On the options list for the Malibu vans, I chose the "wiring for solar". I'm assuming there's a wire or two, fitted on or through the roof. Hopefully that wire will be suitable for Vanbitz, whenever that date comes around.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting point about the solar panels. On the options list for the Malibu vans, I chose the "wiring for solar". I'm assuming there's a wire or two, fitted on or through the roof. Hopefully that wire will be suitable for Vanbitz, whenever that date comes around.
No wire is left inside the van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks again to everyone for your comments, as always loads of useful information 😁
I’m taking a view that it’s probably only a minor niggle which will be explained in full on Saturday so 🤞.
One question: does anyone know the cost of the 5 year Fiat extended warranty? I’ve seen a couple of bits online about the 555 offer, 5 years fixed cost servicing, 5 years roadside assistance and 5 years warranty for £555 but think this may be out of date….

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks again to everyone for your comments, as always loads of useful information 😁
I’m taking a view that it’s probably only a minor niggle which will be explained in full on Saturday so 🤞.
One question: does anyone know the cost of the 5 year Fiat extended warranty? I’ve seen a couple of bits online about the 555 offer, 5 years fixed cost servicing, 5 years roadside assistance and 5 years warranty for £555 but think this may be out of date….
I think I paid around £950 last December.Annoyingly it had just gone up as delivery of my new m/h was delayed... by Fiat!.I believe its a fixed cost and I bought mine from Adams Morey in Portsmouth who were very efficient.
jo.collinson@adamsmorey.com
Enjoy the van, still loving ours

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
According to Adams Morey The 555 is a new scheme for vans, the 5 year Fiat Camper Assist Warranty is the one we need.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Afternoon folks.
We’re due to pick up our brand new Rapido 854f on Saturday. It’s a 2023 model with the 9 speed Auto box on a 140Hp fiat ducato base with the digital dash.
The dealer has just called with a “pre collection courtesy call” checking we’re still good for the scheduled collection. During the call the very nice lady dropped in the fact that the vehicle is one with the “ known BCM(?) issue” that can cause problems but that the workshop and handover team will talk us through it on the day…
I’m not happy that this has only just been mentioned to me if it’s a known issue but don’t know how unhappy I should be. The lady didn’t seem to know much about the details other than it could blow a fuse, or trip something if certain things were done in a particular order. She said it’s a know Fiat issue which they’re working on and it will be solved as soon as Fiat come up with a fix.
Has anyone heard of this issue? Is it something to be concerned about or a minor niggle that’s unlikely ever to trouble us?
I’m hoping someone can enlighten me.
I would be interested to hear what advice they give you to avoid the problem. The Fiat BCM issue seems to affect more than Ducato models, including the 500 and goes back several years. On some Fiat forums they say low voltage triggers the problem. I suspect most of us will never have a problem and any make of vehicle can break down, I suggest you just enjoy your new motorhome it probably won’t happen.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I think it is well worth taking steps to ensure the starter battery remains properly charged.
Yes and on older vehicles ensuring the earth strap is in good condition also avoids a lot of general electrical problems.

Swamp, I fitted a Battery Master, easy 20min diy job so let me know if you want to do that and I'll share what I did on my 854.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Yes and on older vehicles ensuring the earth strap is in good condition also avoids a lot of general electrical problems.
Not just older vehicles. It is well worth checking on brand new Fiat based vehicles :swear::swear:

Upvote 1
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Hi Lenny,
I ask the dealer we bought a 6 month old Kon-Tiki if there would be a warranty issue if we installed a video recording.
Would cut into reversing camera feeds and install forward facing & recorder.
Answer was YES it would void warranty.
On water ingress, naturally dealer dependant but if you've done work and they say warranty void, why do they need to
prove cause as you now longer have a warranty, harsh but possible/probable.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I know how exciting it is when getting a new vehicle. However I wouldn’t accept delivery with this fault. Clearly it has been an issue for a long time. It may prove to be a simple fix but what if there are delays with part’s delivery? It could be off the road for months.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I think I paid around £950 last December.Annoyingly it had just gone up as delivery of my new m/h was delayed... by Fiat!.I believe its a fixed cost and I bought mine from Adams Morey in Portsmouth who were very efficient.
jo.collinson@adamsmorey.com
Enjoy the van, still loving ours
£794 or £952.80 inc vat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002

Swamp, I fitted a Battery Master, easy 20min diy job so let me know if you want to do that and I'll share what I did on my 854.
That’s great thank you.
Once I collect the van I’ll drop you a line and if you could let me know re the Battery Master then that would be perfect 👍

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S

A Van Bitz Battery Master?
Looks like it for use with B2B unit and not the usually "standard" install.

Should the solar not keep both Leisure and Engine battery topped up?

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
A Van Bitz Battery Master?
Looks like it for use with B2B unit and not the usually "standard" install.

Should the solar not keep both Leisure and Engine battery topped up?

Yup.Depends on the equipment you have. My Victron MPPT only supplied the leisure battery.Bought my Vanbitz BM from Offgrid who explained exactly how to fit it.Other MPPT's like the NDS Solar control units have dual outlets but I wanted something not reliant on solar during the winter or hook up and have a decent sized lithium to keep the vehicle battery topped up.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Yup.Depends on the equipment you have. My Victron MPPT only supplied the leisure battery.Bought my Vanbitz BM from Offgrid who explained exactly how to fit it.Other MPPT's like the NDS Solar control units have dual outlets but I wanted something not reliant on solar during the winter or hook up and have a decent sized lithium to keep the vehicle battery topped up.
So for someone picking up a brand new "Rapido 854f on Saturday" Van Bitz Battery Master is not a "solution"?

Additionally, Fiat vehicles, as other manufacturers have issue, DPF failed on our van @ 2,500 miles, google search returns
multiple feeds of the same issue, similar mileage.
After 2 months I suggested they removed a DPF from a for sale van to replace mine.
New supply then became their issue not their customers.
Throw in "the covid effect" on microchip manufacture and you van could be grounded indefinitely.
Personally a NEW vehicle and the dealer has, upfront, acknowledging a potential future issue, I'd want
a written response plan, should the issue occur. Dealer agrees to cover ALL costs associated with a BCM failure, not just for the warranty period but for a period covering the reasonably life expectancy of a BCM.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
So for someone picking up a brand new "Rapido 854f on Saturday" Van Bitz Battery Master is not a "solution"?

Additionally, Fiat vehicles, as other manufacturers have issue, DPF failed on our van @ 2,500 miles, google search returns
multiple feeds of the same issue, similar mileage.
After 2 months I suggested they removed a DPF from a for sale van to replace mine.
New supply then became their issue not their customers.
Throw in "the covid effect" on microchip manufacture and you van could be grounded indefinitely.
Personally a NEW vehicle and the dealer has, upfront, acknowledging a potential future issue, I'd want
a written response plan, should the issue occur. Dealer agrees to cover ALL costs associated with a BCM failure, not just for the warranty period but for a period covering the reasonably life expectancy of a BCM.
I think it is a good solution and have one myself. It not the only solution. Don't know why you interpreted my response differently.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
Just to update on progress today.
We went to the dealers this morning quite prepared to cancel the order and walk away.
After a long and detailed conversation with one of their technical team it became apparent that the information we received on Thursday was in fact complete rubbish!
The issue was nothing to do with the BCM but related to a fault where the igniter on the hob could sometime blow a fuse on the 12v system. The dealer has sold 3 of the 854f motorhomes so far and all had this issue. They had already worked out how to solve the problem with a minor change to the offending circuit and have made this change to our van.
The dealer was quite happy to put this in writing and confirm that there is no issue with the BCM and was extremely apologetic about the mis-information we received.
Bottom line, we are satisfied that it’s not an issue and are now the proud owners of our new motorhome and spending our first night in it tonight 🎉
Thank you to all who contributed with excellent advice and information.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back