Ken Follett

Discussion in 'Funster Book Club' started by Bailey58, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Tempted by Ken Follett's latest today, "Fall Of Giants" but it's the start of a trilogy so I resisted. By the time the next one appears I've usually forgotten what's going on, it happened with Bernard Cornwell's Arthur and Saxon series and Conn Iggulden's Genghis Khan. Trouble is it'll be at least two years before I can read them, decisions, decisions.

Interesting stuff on Follett's website about "Pillars" and "World", what he calls a character map with the cast list woven into a family tree which is handy to refer to during a senior moment. Wonder if we'll see World on our screens one day?

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Rolf, the good thing with Follett is that you can pick up a book and read it without having read the previous ones.

With Pillars of the Earth set, I read them in the wrong order .... but still loved each of them...

I would say go for it.:Smile:

3. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Joy
    - did you watch the full series on the TV or did you give up ? :Smile:

4. movan

:Smile:Hi Dixon, I actually started to enjoy it.... then for the last episode I was meeting with Carol and Eddie in Preston so I set my recorder for it (and Merlin) ........ it didn't work:Doh::Doh::cry: so I missed the ending and how they dealt with it....

Did Barbara read the book yet? It is on offer in Tesco I think ... caught a glance as I ran past the cucumbers.....

Hope you are both, and Rosie, well and things are going better for you. Big big hugs Missing you all. Joy xxx

5. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Barbara has the book, but intends to watch the TV series first for some reason. :Smile:

6. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

For me, Pillars of the Earth, is one of the best historical novels I have ever read. Enormously entertaining, historically accurate, and with a superb character set.

Stonehenge, by Bernard Cornwell is equally as good, and deserves more attention. It is a stand alone novel, not one of a series, and is an huge read, but well worth the effort.

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

I've got Pillars of the Earth dvd set its brilliant.

Taking the book on my trip to China it'll help combat the boredom at border posts:BigGrin:

8. movan

Savantuk, will look out for that. I like Bernard Cornwell. :Smile: