Kampa motor alley air 390 L

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by lindylou, Feb 25, 2015.

1. lindylou

lindylou Funster

:clap:At last we have found the awning we've been chasing for months. Need to get away for a weekend now to try it out before we hit the ferry in April.

2. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Lindylou,
    Hope it fits ok, we bought one for the Autotrail, (not a kampa), but it was too low to open the door once up, hope you don't have the same problem. We replaced it with a Kampa rally, but not the air one , which is much better.
    Cheers, Dave(y)

3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Are these drive-aways?
    @davejen , which one are do you think is better - the air or the non-air? - and why?

4. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, CWH,
    The airs are defo the way forward, IF they clear the doorway, easy to erect and quick, but it depends how close the top of the door is to the wind-out awning, very close on our van so no good, I think the later Autotrails have the wind-out higher so shouldn't have the same problem.
    Cheers, Dave(y)
    ps, they are NOT driveaways.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I ordered the Kampa Motor Rally Air 260L at the NEC last weekend, for our 2006 Autotrail Tracker. Based on the post above, I'm hoping the hab door isn't too impeded....gulp! :unsure:

6. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Will find somewhere to try it out and let you know.

7. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Hi davejen
    I have ordered a camptech inflatable awning at NEC delivery mid march and just realised I might have the same problem as you had!
    I have a burstner delfin and only have 50mm from top of door to underside of awning, what was the gap in yours.
    Steve

8. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

They are very smart looking I must say.

We have got the old fashioned type and can't really justify replacing it yet.

9. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Steve, just read your post, will check tomorrow and let you know.
    Cheers, Dave(y)

10. davejen

davejen Funster

If it does, get in touch with your supplier, we did and got a full refund as long as it is returned with original box etc.
    Cheers, Dave(y)

11. Phill D

Phill D

we have a Kamap Rally but the non Air type; which is adequate with adjustable frame for sloping ground.

wanted the Air Version but decided i was not going to part with all that extra cash to still have a ill fitting awning.
    Despite the fact that these are all marketed as motorhome awning designed to attach to the Fiamma or Omnistor channel, most wind outs protrude from the van by about 80mm, therefore if you erect the awning square and level then you have a gap all the way down the back of the awning between the van body and the awning upright.

This is IMHO is exaggerated on the Air awnings as they need to be erected level as the air tubes are all pre positioned and you cant shift them around in the way you can with most poles.

Also, if the ground falls away in any direction from the van it alters the angle of the inflated base frame which has a knock on effect to the rest of the awning. So if the ground slopes away from the door of the van then the roof angle of the awning is altered and may now contact with the door.

PS: happy to be proved that this is all incorrect. But a good long look while i had the credit card in hand and decided to wait for the next generation.

12. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

:)Don't be to put off by the negatives, we have a 390 XL air, have odd problems with a misshaped leg, but it is easy to put up and very stable, nothing to break

The one issue we have is difficulty of pulling the beading through the Omnistor aluminium track, this has sharp edges at the ends and snags the material, we hope to have over come this by buying a length of double beading to fit first, possibly permanently, then attach a plastic figure of 8 track to which the awning will then attach

That reads badly, but I will demonstrate at Chester if anybody is there that wants to know more

My major concern that I had not considered with this style of awning, you need to wind the awning out to be able to reach (we do anyway, our awning is 3m off the ground)then you are winding in a dead weight of 50kg or so on top of the weight of the wind out canopy. it must put a huge strain on the mechanism

Bev loves our awning so I must use it more, she would sell MH tomorrow and go back to a caravan, so not really too much to concede :)(y)

13. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Well we have had the awning up and all fits well. There is nothing on this awning that would impede the door.

Lin

• Like Like x 1
  14. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

That's good to hear! Would you happen to know the approx distance between the top of your hab door to the awning channel into which you thread the Kampa?

15. lindylou

lindylou Funster

It's about 6 inches. There is nothing below the bit where it threads into the awning apart from the inflated tube which goes outwards. This is easily placed out of the way of the door. Apparently they used to have a flap of material all the way along which could have caused problems. That is no longer the case. Hope you have no problems with yours.

Lin

16. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Thanks Lin!

17. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Well phoned dealer I have ordered awning from today explaining did not think it would fit as not enough height above door! Salesman's reply was sorry no cancellation of order or refunds. Just looked on there website and find the expected delivery is not until 4th april which we where not informed of when ordering,so tomorrow will see if credit card company can help.

18. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Why do you think you will not have enough height above the door. Does the type of awning you have ordered have air tubes above the door ?

19. lindylou

lindylou Funster

20. sweetie

sweetie Funster

No tubes above door,but I only have 50mm above to bottom of awning and roof seems to slope more from under awning than the one you have.