Just come across this... shattered dreams 😕 (1 Viewer)

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
😲

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
So it was bought for £73k and cost £104k including finance .. Or am I reading it wrongly?

I'm sure the ex owner feels justified in posting such an advert but the reality is, if the above is correct, they paid or were expected to pay over £104k for a £73k motorhome. I'm glad that the bank had to reimburse them, perhaps they should never have authorised the sale in the first place !

Last edited:

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Is it just me....or does anyone think they have read an ad worded like that before, specifically selling a motorhome mug 🤷‍♂️

Finance is stupid money on stuff like that, I have looked at the repayment calculator things just for a laugh before.....they can be well over £1500 a month 😱
I feel sorry for a person who has not achieved their 'dream' of what a motorhome should provide for them but there are too many oddities in that listing for me 🤔

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So it was bought for £73k and cost £104k including finance .. Or am I reading it wrongly?

I'm sure the ex owner feels justified in posting such an advert but the reality is, if the above is correct, they paid or were expected to pay over £104k for a £73k motorhome. I'm glad that the bank had to reimburse them, perhaps they should never have authorised the sale in the first place !

Thats correct and about right. People dont look at the bigger figure only the x amount per month. The APR is shocking on big ticket items.

If for example you look at the camper uk website they list a van and the headline is "only 900 per month" beneath that is the 10% deposit the APR and the total amount payable. It really becomes an issue when the buyer tries to sell it.

In this case, 73k motorhome . Probably borrowed 65k add the interest, less rebate.
Take it to a dealer who offers you 62 if you are lucky. The amount to get out if the deal is about 70, so you lose your deposit and have to pay 5k ..

But dont worry, your friendly dealer will work out a way to massage the figures to put you in more debt but only increasing your outgoings by 100 per month.
You end up driving away in a MH you bought for 100k that you now owe 150k on but at least it has an island bed 🛌 that you always wanted.

Its actually really common. I spoke with a guy I know at a well known dealer and asked if anyone was that stupid. He said sometimes he actually spends time trying to talk people out of it, but their hearts rule their heads and theres no stopping them.

Its bonkers.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds to me like someone who took on a lot of finance and regretted it just as much as someone with a lot of problems with a motorhome. What's the thing with going on constantly about veterans? Sounds a bit like one of those go fund me things where they expect someone else to fund things

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Is it just me....or does anyone think they have read an ad worded like that before, specifically selling a motorhome mug 🤷‍♂️

You are right there. I have certainly seen this before and maybe even as far back as 6 month or more. May still be listing to get the point across.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Shame we do not seem to be able to access any kind of response from Brownhills (unless I have missed it somewhere). It looks bad but there's always another side to a story and I thought this forum discouraged these one-sided posts?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sounds to me like someone who took on a lot of finance and regretted it just as much as someone with a lot of problems with a motorhome. What's the thing with going on constantly about veterans? Sounds a bit like one of those go fund me things where they expect someone else to fund things
While I have every respect for veterans I can't see what it has got to do with this story , would it have been ok if he wasn't a veteran?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
one of the additional things that might throw more light on how bad (?) the motorhome was, is that the same motorhome dealer bought it back from auction and then sold it on again..... if it really was that bad and couldnt be repaired and they knew it was that bad, that would seem a strange thing to do?

and the reg number cant be found on the gov mot check ....perhaps the reg number got swapped ....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
one of the additional things that might throw more light on how bad (?) the motorhome was, is that the same motorhome dealer bought it back from auction and then sold it on again..... if it really was that bad and couldnt be repaired and they knew it was that bad, that would seem a strange thing to do?
They had probably have already put most of it right under warranty.
No just someone wanting their money back.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Buying Motorhomes on finance seems to be a modern thing of the last 10 years or so, previously very few were bought on finance as most were bought by retired & semi-retired people.
It's the modern generation, have to have it now, can't wait to save up for it.

We dreamed about having a Motorhome for 10 or 15 years until we could afford one.
I will admit we did borrow a few k for our first one but only because we didn't want to use too much of our cash reserves also borrowed at a very low interest rate as my wife worked for the bank.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
They had probably have already put most of it right under warranty.
No just someone wanting their money back.
and if the dealer refused and there were no grounds to win the case, perhaps they took the finance company to the ombudsman, not knowing the details of course makes it all look too one sided for their not to be some sort of mitigation

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
You are right there. I have certainly seen this before and maybe even as far back as 6 month or more. May still be listing to get the point across.
Found the same advert 12th dec last year, I'm sure I've seen it before that as well.
And he has to keep paying ebay fees every time as it says sold on the previous ad 🤦‍♂️ certainly not a happy fellow

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Borrow the money from your bank, I did during COVID.
Just looked at Nationwide 25 grand over 5 years at 6.5%. Other banks can't be much different.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Borrow the money from your bank, I did during COVID.
Just looked at Nationwide 25 grand over 5 years at 6.5%. Other banks can't be much different.
Still going to cost you £8,125, an extra 25%so for the 73k for the Motorhome with a 10% deposit borrowing 67k over 10 years, van would cost £117k.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't understand why people take out the loans with the dealers, they are way more than elsewhere and you never own the motorhome until the last payment is made when you usually get hit with an 'admin' fee too. If you need a loan it's always best to get it separately and then buy it, you own the MH from day 1 and then can px or sell it as you wish with no problem - how many people buy a new MH and keep it for 10+ years? Not many, so every time you want to change it you'd have to pay the finance off then re-finance for the next one, madness.

As for the 'mug' man, he's had a very lucky escape I suspect from having to fork out a load of dosh over the next 10 years for something that may not now suit him.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I bought a new Swift Bel Aire from them in 2001. There was an issue with the habitation door which was replaced. Unfortunately, the decals went over the door so they needed replaced. It took them 4 attempts, on the 5th attempt the decals were correct, but the wrong colour. When the motorhome was driven out I could see the replaced decal was grey, they should have been blue like the other originals and to match the other side.
When I raised the obvious error to the Customer Service Manager and the General Manager I was told not to worry no mistake had been made. I need to understand decals. Once the grey decal is a few weeks old the UV light shall change it to blue! I traded the vehicle 9 months later whilst Brownhills were still trying to source non UV activated decals. The Motorhome was on eBay a few years back and was about 20 years old at this point. It was upon looking at the pictures I discovered that Brownhills Managers were lying to me as the grey side was still grey.
I have never been back to Brownhills and never will.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Still going to cost you £8,125, an extra 25%so for the 73k for the Motorhome with a 10% deposit borrowing 67k over 10 years, van would cost £117k.
Better redo your sums Lenny, this is a quote.
£25000 at 6.4% over 5 years, £29152.80 to repay in total.
Can't screenshot it, just get a blank pic.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Using debt to finance a MH is no different from the way most people now obtain new cars. Just bigger monthly payments for longer. One suspects that similar huge monthly costs are used to finance Lambos or Bentleys. I knew a bloke who had a Range Rover for the wife, and drove a Bentley as well as his company Merc. All part of his fake "I am a successful businesman" image. He was overstretched, financially underwater, and went bankrupt. Lost everything including his country Manor House where the annual village fete was held for all the peasants to enjoy. Hubris.

A while ago I was staggered when I saw a review of the VW California that included the information that it could be financed for £900 pcm for (I think) 60 months. Or was it 120 months? I couldn't believe how any wage slave would sign up to that kind of drain on their income, in order to drive a shiny new camper.

I might not be rich but it is outright purchase or walk away. I think it used to be common for retirees to use their pension tax-free lump sum to buy a MH. Pensions aren't what they used to be. Sadly.

Deleted User
Part of the work I used to do as an IFA involved credit broking and digging people out of the sh1t. It never ceased to amaze me the number of people serving in the Armed Forces who were completely irresponsible when it had come to borrowing money. I put it down to having a reasonably decent disposable income, which made many of the nicer things in life accessible on the never-never, but without much thought of the longer term implications of snowballing debt.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ah Sorry but Don't need a
See Ya Yes GIF by Audible

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Reminds me of one of my BIL's he worked for a factoring company. He went to see a prospective new client outside the office there were two new top of the range Mercs, he suggested one of the first they should do is get rid of them. He went back a month later still two top of the range Mercs parked outside, he pointed it out to them and they said we did get rid of them those are our wives cars. Needless to say they didn't get the finance they were after.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back