DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I’ve really gone and done it this time. Talk about sticking your head over the parapet, not just my head in this case but every other sensitive and fleshy bit too. You see, I’ve published a book.

It goes by the title of “Two Go to Spain” and describes our trips in the MH through Spain in 2014 and 2015. It is available on Kindle and on iBooks. I've put some links below but these may not show if you are using an ad-blocker although the last link to my website should work. Otherwise just search on Kindle for "Two Go to Spain" or the Amazon reference number: B01MDKO97W

Amazon product ASIN B01MDKO97W
and the iBooks link is: Link Removed

For a whopping £2.99 you can while away a few hours with it and before anyone points out the book has a passing resemblance to two blogs I posted here on the Forum I will come clean and say this is indeed so. However, the book is longer and has considerably fewer spelling mistakes (I hope) than the blogs although I am sure there are still typos in it, so by all means let me know if you find one – a great advantage of eBooks like this is they are easy to update.

You can also find links to the book at the bottom of this page: http://www.john-laidler.co.uk/?page_id=33

You don't need a Kindle to read the book, there are free apps for Android and PCs which read Kindle books. These are what I use.

John

:):):)

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I knew you were a writer your blogs were so descriptive!!
I don't have a kindle are you printing hard copies John?

congratulations!!

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
What I guess are the Amazon links are not showing (for me). A text link (like the iBooks one) might be accessible to more people.

Well done for doing the book. Not an easy task to do (or to push on the forum). Good luck for huge sales :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
What I guess are the Amazon links are not showing (for me). A text link (like the iBooks one) might be accessible to more people.

:)
Do you have an ad-blocker installed? --- I switched mine off on this page and the links appeared.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...the Amazon links are not showing (for me).
You probably have an ad-blocker but the last link to my website should work. Thanks for letting me know - I'll put a note on the OP.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You see, I’ve published a book.
Congratulations! (y) I published my first travel book three years ago, entitled "Two Go To Skegness", ( Dempsey And Makepiece price 27p), under rave critical acclaim, I may add. :) I have since followed it on with "The Hidden Chip Shops of Skegness",
"Skegness, a Tour of Its Balmy Windswept Beaches", "Places to Relax in Skegness", and lastly "Off to Skeggy For a Punch Up". (y)

I wish you well. Us successful authors should stick together. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

congratulations!!
Anthea,

Many thanks but if you have a PC, laptop or tablet of some description you can download the free Kindle reader from the Amazon site. And for Android devices there are is a reader available from the Play Store.

No hard copies, - it would have to have the potential to sell in very large numbers to make that worthwhile. :)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995

congratulations!!
Anthea you can read Kindle on an ipad
There is an app.
But I think to read its beter on the Kindle

Mel
Sorry bit late just seen the same from John

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Do you have an ad-blocker installed? --- I switched mine off on this page and the links appeared.

You probably have an ad-blocker but the last link to my website should work. Thanks for letting me know - I'll put a note on the OP.

Thanks and yes, I do have an ad-blocker but not activated for this site. Jim's adverts down the side are showing ok.

Only mentioned it as I know there are problems on some systems with showing Amazon adverts.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is an app.

Mel
If you've got an iPad try the iBooks version. I've only viewed it on a Mac Book but it looks a bit better than the Amazon version as the reader shows the book as two pages, like an open book, which is neat, although on the smaller screen of an iPad it may revert to one page. Apple supporters may be pleased to hear that publishing the iBooks version convinced me what a good product Apple have - and with their support you can actually ring up and speak to real people as I had to a couple of times while wrestling with the complexities of eBooks publishing. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
There is an app.

Mel
Thank you Mel and John I've got an Ipad so will try for the app!!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Anthea,

Many thanks but if you have a PC, laptop or tablet of some description you can download the free Kindle reader from the Amazon site. And for Android devices there are is a reader available from the Play Store.

No hard copies, - it would have to have the potential to sell in very large numbers to make that worthwhile. :)
I might word this wrong sorry in advance
So to published a book thare do you just send it in for publishing or is it just a case of postin it in book format

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you allow readers to borrow it via Kindle Unlimited you still get royalties. I earn more from unlimited than from sales :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I might word this wrong sorry in advance
So to published a book there do you just send it in for publishing or is it just a case of posting it in book format
It's not difficult to publish a book on Amazon, it's called Kindle Direct Publishing or KDP. You can register and it is possible to simply upload a Word document and it will be turned into a book. A lot of folk do and the results can in many cases look very poor, with big gaps between paragraphs, text over-writing pictures and so on. If you have a Ninja Black Belt in the use of Styles in Word it is possible to do it but there are an awful lot of poorly produced books out there. I went for a very different approach which meant learning HTML and essentially creating the book as a series of web pages using a free programme called Sigil. The consensus seems to be amongst the "experts" is this is the only way to produce a properly formatted eBook. For Apple iBooks this is the only way to publish as they won't accept Word files. There are companies who will do the conversion for you, one is called "Draft2Digital" and another "Lulu" who will do the conversion for a cut of any royalties but what they won't do is actually edit your book. However, as a path to riches forget it, there are over a thousand books a day published on Amazon and 99.9999% are never heard of again. A very small number of folk make a living out of it but they are generally writing romance and have huge FB followings in the US. As an unknown like me publishing a book is just something to do for its own satisfaction. If it sells more than a few dozen copies I will be very surprised. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you allow readers to borrow it via Kindle Unlimited you still get royalties. I earn more from unlimited than from sales :)
I did give that option some thought but decided against it, mainly because I wanted to publish it on iBooks even though I know that is a much smaller market. If I was writing "chick-lit" it might be different. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just downloaded to a Tesco Hudl with no problems.
Gosh, thank you. And nice to know it downloaded without problems, the file is a bit bigger than a typical eBook as there are so many photographs.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
305 pages for £2.99? Bargain! And a recipe for paella? Bonus!

Have just ordered and downloaded your book, John, and skipped through the first few pages. Wow! It's worth it for the photos alone. Will leave a review on Amazon when we've read it. Well done!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you checked out Scrivener. It is what I use to write with and find it to be excellent. Jim also uses it for his books.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php
I did download Scrivener but went with Sigil in the end. I think Scrivener would be very good for writing a novel though, because of the way you can keep notes on characters. My book was mostly written on Google Docs then imported into Word to be tidied up then imported in a marked up form as plain text into Sigil where the images were added.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back