iTunes and duplicate files.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JockandRita, Jul 25, 2010.

1. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi all,

It's definitely down to "operator error", but when I downloaded iTunes onto the new laptop, and it imported my music files, I now have 12 copies of every track that was on the old computer, ie, instead of the usual 15Gb, I now have 143.26Gb equalling 39,360 songs lasting over 108.2 days. I store the music folders on an external HD, which backs up daily.

Could someone please help me to get rid of all the copies, leaving the original files in place. I really don't relish having to uncheck 11 boxes for every song. :Eek!::Eek!::Eek!:

Yours desperately,

Jock. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

2. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Jock

From the file dropdown menu in itunes, select show duplicates. ensure that they are all ticked and the delete them.

3. champers

champers Funster Life Member

I had a similar thing happen to me when I upload new songs on hubby's iphone,it goes weird with his business contacts .....duplicates, triplicates etc I have the box marked "only install ticked boxes" (words to that effect) I have spent hrs deleting as it has happened on several occasions ... decided he has enough music now uploaded:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: sure do wish i knew about the drop down box:Blush::Blush:

4. JockandRita

Hi Dave,

I tried that before, and it deleted all the files. I have tried it again, and this time it deleted all the files again, except those I recently imported from an old HD. This blooming iTunes thing even imported TomTom instructions, ie keep left, keep right, roundabout ahead, etc, etc. :Rofl1:
    I have deleted all of those manually.
    I am now importing the original files again, to see how many copies I end up with this time. :Wink:

Regards to Ed from Rita and I please.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

5. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Do you have your itunes library on another computer? If so you can make a back up and then wipe all files and restore from the backup?
    I've had the duplicated files thing before (only 1 extra copy of each song - but still lots) and the onlyway I could do it was to manually delete extra files. The 'delete duplicate file' option didn't work for me either , don't know why?

6. JockandRita

Thanks Jaygee,

Unfortunately, I don't have iTunes on another computer.

I have just imported as before from the external HD, and guess what...........almost everything has been duplicated up to twelve times, including the TomTom instructions again. And yet, when I go into the original folders and files, I can only find one of each. Grrrrrrrrr.

Baffling or what?

Jock.

7. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Have you tried googling 'Itunes backup duplicate'? There are lots of answers (and programmes that may well be dodgy!)

This link looks promising: LINK

8. JockandRita

Hi Janine,

Thanks. Deleting the duplicates is no problem, it's when I then import the original files, that the copies reappear, but the copies are not in the original folders or files.

Cheers,

Jock.

9. JockandRita

All sorted now

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in posting again.

Due to the help of a Saddletramping MH'er on A N Other forum :Wink:, I was able to suss out the problem.
    In amongst all my music folders, unbeknown to me was a folder named "Backup" as well as the iTunes folders. :Blush: So when transferring files across to iTunes, I was unwittingly transferring them again, and again, and again, etc.

I really need to have a sort out of what I have actually got.

Thanks to all those who contributed and offered help.

Cheers for now,

Jock.