It's Official- Air Fryers use less than half the electricity of an oven! (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Even with the predicted electricity price increases, it's going to take about 100 hours of cooking to cover the cost of buying even one of the cheapest ones.

That is not a lot, but you miss the main advantages in that they are quite a bit quicker and convenient as well as being very versatile.

Totally agree with you there. Our situation is that we have a gas AGA that, depending on the seasonal weather, we shut down from about May for six months or so - I’ve just turned it on low this week, but only for background heat so the ‘real’ heating in the house doesn’t have to be turned on and not for cooking at the moment.

Anyhows, we have the Ninja 15 and the fact you can switch between cooking modes so easily and quickly is a real boon. As a ‘ferinstance, I cooked a lamb tagine tonight which involved sautéed onions and garlic, followed by seared diced lamb, then chopped tomatoes, lamb stock and spices being added and everything pressure cooked, and then the dates, apricots and coriander being added and pressure cooked for a very short time to finish. All cooked in the one bowl, in the one machine and tasting superb.

Versatile indeed! (y)

Last edited:

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I’m a new recruit to these air fryers. We have a two drawer sur le table air fryer from Costco. Went for ninja but out of stock. I cooked chips a week or two ago. Not very nice, fresh from scratch. Then tried Aldi frozen oven chips, no better. But have since tried McCain frozen oven fries, I was very impressed with them. We’ve since managed to track down and get the ninja max, 15 in 1(hens teeth comes to mind) that is the dogs watsits. so far I’ve used it for sauté, air fryer, combined steam and roast, pressure cooked. I need to do a bit of fine tuning but overall very satisfied with the results. As Orion says very versatile.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Totally agree with you there. Our situation is that we have a gas AGA that, depending on the seasonal weather, we shut down from about May for six months or so - I’ve just turned it on low this week, but only for background heat so the ‘real’ heating in the house doesn’t have to be turned on and not for cooking at the moment.

Anyhows, we have the Ninja 15 and the fact you can switch between cooking modes so easily and quickly is a real boon. As a ‘ferinstance, I cooked a lamb tagine tonight which involved sautéed onions and garlic, followed by seared diced lamb, then chopped tomatoes, lamb stock and spices being added and everything pressure cooked, and then the dates, apricots and coriander being added and pressure cooked for a very short time to finish. All cooked in the one bowl, in the one machine and tasting superb.

Versatile indeed! (y)

but everything you described, I did with a CleverChef Pro a few weeks ago at about a third of the of a Ninja? Is the extra cost worth it??
:unsure:

The only thing I cannot do is air-fry and I ask myself, do I want to spend another £100 for expensive, by comparison, oven chips?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I often have Ginster pepper slices for my dinner.
It just fit's directly under the element and on on number 2 it doesn't rotate.
Turn it over once and it's cooked a treat in 5 minutes.
We bought an as new used one for little money

But a microwave can reheat a ginsters’ pasty or slice in ~1min - and it won’t be dried out like an oven would reheating it yy

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Except a Full Tablespoon of Olive Oil! :eek: :LOL:
Still not deep fried the chips just have a layer of oil and much is left in the bowl healthier there and 30 min cook time

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My 75 year old mate's daughter brought him round a Tefal air fryer, "Here you go Dad, I know you like chips and this is a lot safer than your old chip pan !"
"Oh grand, thanks lass, where do I put the blocks of lard ?" 😂

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Still not deep fried the chips just have a layer of oil and much is left in the bowl healthier there and 30 min cook time

If you get the Rapeseed oil very hot before you add the freshly cut, dried off chips, very little penetrates the chip. Must be right, Delia said so! :LOL:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If you get the Rapeseed oil very hot before you add the freshly cut, dried off chips, very little penetrates the chip. Must be right, Delia said so! :LOL:
Sounds like a research project to me who’s up for a chip sandwich or two 😂

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I luv the chip butties
years ago with a big family we had a double electric deep fat fryer(never watched our health then) because it cost us a fortune to have a fish and chip supper with 7 of us hubby did triple cooked chips ,and his own beer battered cod/haddock…………to die for
literally lol
so now its slimming world chips aka air fryer chips

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
When we started using our Remoska regularly at home as well as in the motorhome our electricity usage dropped - our top oven uses twice the amount of electric & the main one four times so main oven now only used when batch cooking or at Xmas!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
When we started using our Remoska regularly at home as well as in the motorhome our electricity usage dropped - our top oven uses twice the amount of electric & the main one four times so main oven now only used when batch cooking or at Xmas!
The only thing we use the oven for nowadays is for the bread And only then it is because the ninja is too small for baking a decent size loaf. Roast chicken dinner tonight will be mostly Ninja based by first pressure cooking and then browning off. Keep warm whilst roasts and stuff are done

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My hubby is spoilt for choice with the gadgets he's got!
  • A halogen oven similar to a Tefal Actifry', just a bit flatter and wider, which he uses for roasting, browning, crisping etc (nice lovely bread rolls & sausage rolls!)
  • A microwave oven
  • A pizza maker, basically 2 large hotplates, which close together with the pizza in between, the beauty of this is that it can be opened completely flat so gives 2 large frying-pan type cooking surfaces for doing a fry-up etc - haven't tried doing pancakes in it yet but I'm sure they'll come out well.
  • 2 standard Remoskas (the old style with the glass in the lid and the newer one without)
  • An electric saute pan/oven - don't know how old it is but it's good for tall stuff that won't fit in the Remoska or browning stuff off as the heat is at the bottom
  • A George Foreman small grill for sausages, burgers etc
  • A larger GF grill with removable plates (yay!) for doing more stuff at the same time - he's only just got this (cheap off Ebay) so hasn't had a chance to use it yet.
  • A pie maker (2 pies)
  • Toasted sarnie maker (like Breville)
He has tried the multi-cookers before but wasn't keen and I'm not going to suggest he tries the newer versions as we're running out of cupboard and worktop space! At least he does use them.

These alongside the double oven gas cooker (small oven on top) means he can use whichever is best for what he's cooking ... trouble is I get the mess to clear up afterwards.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
The only thing we use the oven for nowadays is for the bread And only then it is because the ninja is too small for baking a decent size loaf. Roast chicken dinner tonight will be mostly Ninja based by first pressure cooking and then browning off. Keep warm whilst roasts and stuff are done
Mrs Ale did a lovely roast chicken dinner today in the ninja on the steam roast setting..meat was so tender.👍😋

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Mrs Ale did a lovely roast chicken dinner today in the ninja on the steam roast setting..meat was so tender.👍😋
DD530EBD-43D5-4921-9316-F0F939F62CD8.jpeg

Pre - wash……

258EE111-93CB-4485-B14E-BCC8A98FFA88.jpeg

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I made a cake in the Ninja the other day cooked on the steam/bake setting it turned out really well.
I‘d tried in the old ninja and they weren’t very successful but this cooked it beautifully .

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Which is the best ninja model to cook a sunday roast or bake a cake please?
We have the Ninja smart lid 15 in 1. I think that’s the biggest one they do, although there are many different models out now so I could be wrong?

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
How well did it cope doing a Sunday roast and all the trimmings?

Ian
Yesterday: medium whole chicken and roast potatoes, cooked to perfection in said gadget. Vegetables in one saucepan. Gravy from veg water and chicken. Delicious!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The ‘SmartLid’ models are the most versatile as you don’t have to err …. swap lids when changing modes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yesterday: medium whole chicken and roast potatoes, cooked to perfection in said gadget. Vegetables in one saucepan. Gravy from veg water and chicken. Delicious!
Correct me if I'm wrong but cooking 'frozen' roast spuds and 'frozen' veg is not a 'traditional' roast dinner ... it's gotta be done the traditional way by peeling/preparing the veg from raw! :giggle: Saying that the frozen stuff isn't bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back