Its a Gas !

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by MisterED, Mar 5, 2010.

1. MisterED

MisterED Read Only Funster

OK,
    I think I have this sussed but would just like to get a second opinion before I shell out the readies:cry:

I have a 2006 Pilote with twin 7kg Butane connected to a manual change over valve which has a red (off) and green (on) three segment type window inside it.

System works ok appart from freezing up last weekend in Braemar :Eeek:

Guess I need to go to Propane, so this is what i thought;

Intending to go to Europe for a good run this summer (Probably the same as a thousand others) so would like to be independant, my thoughts turned to GasLow.

So the point to my question .......:RollEyes:

Two 6kg bottles with a filler and a bracket would suffice to my knowledge.

I am unsure if i need new hoses as the GasLow bottles are equipped with Butane fittings.

Intend to use Outdoor Bits for my purchase, looks like the best deal about.

Comments please ?
    Take Care
    Terry

2. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

All you need are the various (3) adaptors for europe, as supplied via GasLow and if they have it yet, the new Euro adaptor.
    JK

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We use 1 big gaslow tank and an ordinary propane tank as a spare which can also serve as the BBQ tank.

4. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Best move I ever made:thumb:, used to use propane but then had a chance of a couple of 6kg gas bottles, so got all the pigtails and installed it, with help from a qualified installer, after a while we decided to go for a bigger bottle so went to Johnscross, got the Funsters discount as well, when we can afford it will go the other bigger bottle, so will have two 6kg well I think thats the size for sale:Laughing:

5. ingram

ingram Read Only Funster

If you want new, worth having a look here:--

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/

good prices, good service, in my experience. Note though, that 6kg are out of stock at Gaslow until later in March.

hth

Harvey

6. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

what sort of threads do you have on the pigtails ....sounds like you have an on board regulator
    and surely with a pilote you have room for 2 proper 13Kg bottles

try a photo or two !

7. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

8. robnchris

robnchris Funster

internal gas tank

Our truck came fitted with an internal LPG tank, used it for 3 weeks and the gauge has hardly moved, (will probably drop like a stone next use) cost £12 to fill it up.
    Saves all that faffing about with clanky bottles.
    Bad point is it takes up a lot of underseat storage (we don`t have a lot as it is) good point the outside gas locker is now free for wellies, hose pipes etc etc. :thumb:

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Thanks for the business:Smile: well apreciated:thumb: anyone interested the Gaslow section is here

Adaptors, pipes etc http://www.johnscrossshop.co.uk/cat...s./Gaslow-Gas-Parts-Pipes-Adaptors-Regulators

Bottles etc http://www.johnscrossshop.co.uk/cat...Gaslow.-Lanterns./Gaslow-Refillable-Cylinders

If you need any technical advice Darren or Glenn will happily oblige.

Peter

10. sedge

sedge Funster

At risk of teaching my granny to suck eggs could I just mention before going out and purchasing the nice big bottles - please do ascertain that the larger bottles will actually fit through the door!!! - they don't on our wagon although if you could get em in there would be plenty of room for them inside the locker. It's potty!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. MisterED

MisterED Read Only Funster

A Couple of Photo's

[​IMG]

I think this hols the regulator the bezel around the Red / Green Window is a manual selection of which side is on.
    [​IMG]
    Two 7kg Butane I want to change to GasLow
    [​IMG]
    This is the quick connection for the bottle which I understand with this removed the hose tail fits directly to the GasLow bottle.

Hope this explains my system.

Any comments?

Take Care
    Terry

12. deepstar

deepstar Read Only Funster

13. barnybg

barnybg Read Only Funster

GAS and LPG systems.

Or nearly empty ?............

If you can go for a LPG tank system,which can be fitted underneath M/H somewhere (not inside) this will have a proper filler set into the side of the vehicle somewhere,also have a gauge in the cab (or anywhere you want) letting you know how much LPG you have !
    I have no idea how much system costs in the UK ( well over a grand i expect ) but here in Bulgaria,the same system,all brand new and fitted will cost £600 !!!!! Had mine fitted 18 months ago for the 'engine/milelage ' side of things for £450,wish i had asked for another set up for the cooker/heater etc......
    Dont forget when buying these systems,you need the passport book that comes with it stamped and a LPG sticker in the window somewhere.
    So where are you going on your next European trip ? BULGARIA ?it works out your having a FREE holiday :Cool:
    Stay at my place and i will arrange for LPG fitting...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010