Italian environmental zones (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Just arrived in Northern Italy staying on a sosta by a lake at the top of Lake Como - all very nice with lakeside spot at 10 euros.

However, planning next move is not so easy when it comes to visiting almost any town or city as they all have environmental zones. As far as I can see the only way to find out exactly where the boundaries of the zones are is to wait until you see the prohibition signs, at which time it may be impossible to turn round with a motorhome.

Can anyone offer any tips/experience please on how best to deal with this problem other than by not visiting the interesting places which we would like to see?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Are the latest euro 6 compliment diesels exempt?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Thanks for that Figaro that was the most useful one I came across too. Unfortunately there are no maps that I’ve found, just an alarmingly long list of places. There seems to be Fascia 1 and Fascia 2 places … I haven’t yet come across what they mean either! Further reading required and a keen eye for the signs when driving - amongst all the usual distractions.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just arrived in Northern Italy staying on a sosta by a lake at the top of Lake Como - all very nice with lakeside spot at 10 euros.

However, planning next move is not so easy when it comes to visiting almost any town or city as they all have environmental zones. As far as I can see the only way to find out exactly where the boundaries of the zones are is to wait until you see the prohibition signs, at which time it may be impossible to turn round with a motorhome.

Can anyone offer any tips/experience please on how best to deal with this problem other than by not visiting the interesting places which we would like to see?
I found Italian cities rather too exciting to drive around in a small car, let alone a motorhome! :Eeek: My preference would be to park on the outskirts and use public transport to get where you want, or maybe rent a scooter. Some campsites offer a cheap shuttle bus into city centres - for example, the campsite in the Regional Park of Matera.

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I don’t know about all the zones, but certainly EVERYONE except residents with passes are not allowed in ‘old town’ areas, generally from 08.00 to 20.00 - no doubt those areas which simply can’t deal with the traffic irrespective of pollution issues

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I don’t know about all the zones, but certainly EVERYONE except residents with passes are not allowed in ‘old town’ areas, generally from 08.00 to 20.00 - no doubt those areas which simply can’t deal with the traffic irrespective of pollution issues
That's ok. Wouldn't go there anyway. It's more a case of there were any on city outskirts that we happen to end up in.

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
It would seem they are. Having wandered round the website mentioned by Figaro I was looking at Lombardy where we are and found this link to

https://www.regione.lombardia.it/wps/portal/istituzionale/HP/aria/misure-permanenti

Which tells me, I think, that when conditions warrant anything below euro 3 diesel is not allowed in the zone; anything less than euro 0 and 2-strokes are banned all the time. Enforcement is ‘manual’, so if pollution is bad and you’re driving an old vehicle you could be in trouble - otherwise not much to worry about … but please don’t take my word for it, there’s plenty of reading to do and make of it what you will.

We’re just going to carry on in our euro 5 and look out for where we (and everyone else except residents) are not allowed and hope we see the signs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back