Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
In the car park of the huge La Canada shopping centre, just east of Marbella, there are 5 Motorhomes parked. One has been there for about 3 weeks and is occupied, another has a “for sale” sign [just visible through the dust covered window] on it, one had the awning out and the other two occupied slots that indicated that they were perhaps staying awhile…….all took more than one packing space. Three of the five had “Brit” reg. This, as well as street and seafront parking of Caravans/Motorhomes, has been and ongoing and regular problem all along the Costa del Sol and is often debated in the local press and at council meetings.

The overwhelming view has always been a fairly relaxed and welcoming one regarding these vehicles but is accompanied with the “why do it” question and the knowledge that something will eventually have to be done.

We all know the well rehearsed arguments that they [Motorhomes] bring cash to the area…..how much and is it worth the hassle is debatable. Non-owners visit the coast, sit outside a seafront restaurant and look at a huge white vehicle. Worst still I have seen Motorhomes, with all the kit spread out, parked on the beach near Estepona. And yes they [the few] do leave litter behind. etc etc….And we know that there are not enough sites, they are expensive, crowded and noisy………So why come here at all........:Sad:

So it had to happen…………Part of a new regulation that is aimed at the selling of vehicles in the street and car-parks and now requires licences, displayed permits, supplied addresses etc etc, or 90 euro a day fine, tow-away, disposable/crush powers and all that………also included reference to Caravans and Motorhomes.

More to the point……quote from directive……..”This also prohibits the parking of Caravans and Auto-Caravans apart from area specified by the council. Furthermore, it prohibits such parking for more than 24 hours whilst there are people living in the vehicle”.

My Son-in-law, who is Capt. in the Guardia tells me that a number of Motorhomes have already been removed from “prohibited parking areas”, while owners were absent. My own experience on vehicle removal is that the Spanish pay little or no regard as far as damage is concerned during the dragging away process…….:cry:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
There isnt a lot to say really is there.

As you say there are the arguments for and against. I'm not sure myself.

I can understand the grief that it causes to other people and so I woudn't allow it.

Its just a pitty that there arent more official places to park, example France.

Jim

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well it's a case of taking the pi$$ and spoiling it for all.

Apart from anything I would not leave my motor home unattended in public for such a time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back