Isle of Barra !

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Stephen & Jeannie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Anyone been there recently? Last time I was there you could park up on the machair (now forbidden !) and watch the planes land on the beach ! Is there wild camping on the Island ?
    :cooler::cooler::cooler:

2. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

Not that recently - but back in the middle of last year.

Didn't really feel it was exceptionally wild camp friendly, but not tooooo bad either. I was too big to get in by the airport, but there were a couple of vans there parked up on the sand there, but it was really ripped about quite a lot so I presume that won't make folk happy. I went past it and up the road where there must have been a really good spot but it was cordoned off with strategically placed boulders.

Non of the campsites were big enough for me anyway, and the ones I saw looked very slopey.

But I did find a layby (above) and had a lovely night even though it was right by the road, and I stayed on till late morning when it looked as though someone had pulled right down onto the machair on the opposite side of the bay to presumably stay overnight - or longer?

In general I found the Outer Hebrides slightly camper van unfriendly but not tooooo bad. Commercial campsites in general seemed quite expensive (IMO) though as I say the ones I contacted weren't prepared to accept my vehicle.

The Uists were very pretty and had some good places to stop - and I did actually stay two or three days at this one, and think could have stayed longer and no-one would have minded

PS there was a beautiful huge white sand bay just behind those dunes

• Like Like x 2
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Some info here on camping and facilities for motorhomes..

http://www.isleofbarra.com/campsitelisting.htm

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 3