Is Your MotorHome on the level? (1 Viewer)

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
I use a normal spirit level, a two way level and even a domed bubble level. This helps and is so much better than the glass of wine method, although less enjoyable. I did try a true spirit level, involving whiskey, but this is the road to ruin.
I just wanted to mention that I'd forgotten that everything you need these days, comes as an "APP" and the spirit level is no exception. I chose one that gives a bubble dome effect and gives degrees out on an X and Y axis.
Was not intending to open this thread, but could not find the previous one.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I recently downloaded a spirit level app, but haven't tried it in the van yet.

One of the funniest things we saw was a guy (German I think) using a 6-foot long builder's spirit level in his A-class.

We really don't get that stressed about it - just aim to get the van roughly level. We do have a tiny spirit level to give a bit of an idea, but usually I can sense what it will indicate even before looking at it.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
The previous owner of my Helga has put a small level on the dash for side to side and another on my right of the drivers seat for back to front!! Brilliant things!!! I have, like the German seen above, a six foot level for work, but what a palaver that must be for him! Lolol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We use the standard triangle level for "near enough" on the passenger seat rails.;) Jane then puts it on the table for "close to as near as".;) Then I found the Truma App had a leveller on it. After a quick check with that I gave up as we could never get that level. (n) Even when the level was spot on, we were still way out according to the app.:rolleyes: So now, only if we run down hill to the front end, we get the ramps out.:D2

Reactions: Pia

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I just press a button. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Feeling smug!!!!

Richard. Future resident of the poor house.
That's great but IMO unless included on Moho (which mine doesn't) , I wouldn't pay £5k for occasional smug feeling. Only used on 1 Aire last year and up to now, once in 10 days

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I just press a button. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Feeling smug!!!!

Richard. Future resident of the poor house.
(y) My "button" puts us 0.5 deg nose down so the water runs off the roof and down the gutters at the front instead of making black marks at the back.

Martin

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
That's great but IMO unless included on Moho (which mine doesn't) , I wouldn't pay £5k for occasional smug feeling. Only used on 1 Aire last year and up to now, once in 10 days
That's one reason for me being a future resident of the poor house..........can't resist a gadget. :D2

On a semi serious note, we use the levellers whenever we park, even on Caravan Club sites.
Few pitches are completely flat and it stops wobbly van syndrome when one of us goes to the furthest extremes of the van. :D

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
(y) My "button" puts us 0.5 deg nose down so the water runs off the roof and down the gutters at the front instead of making black marks at the back.

Martin
Oooh! That's posh! :D

Might have to have a fiddle with the set up.
Can't be having these N&B bods outdoing the Carthago club. :LOL::LOL::reel:

Richard.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
That's one reason for me being a future resident of the poor house..........can't resist a gadget. :D2

On a semi serious note, we use the levellers whenever we park, even on Caravan Club sites.
Few pitches are completely flat and it stops wobbly van syndrome when one of us goes to the furthest extremes of the van. :D

Richard.
Don't get me wrong, if I had levellers, I'd use them at every opportunity but although I'm a gadget fiend, it's a gadget too far for me.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
My first criteria on pulling up anywhere for the night is security. In terms of priority this is then followed by, privacy, positioning and view.

As far as being level is concerned, near enough is good enough. Being plumb level in a 6M M/H is nowhere near as important as in a longer vehicle, and I usually only stop overnight en route to specific destinations

And until they can squeeze my own 9M x 5M heated infinity pool in a Carthargo or N+B, then I reckon my priorities are about right :imoutahere:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We use the bathroom door method . Open the door when we pull up , get the levellers out up we go when the door just closes "hey presto" plus the water runs off the back.

Rivets21

Free Member
May 22, 2017
Burnham on sea somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924f
Exp
If you have a ipad get the app called EZ level and just put your ipad on the floor of the van ,work great for us and accurate

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't get me wrong, if I had levellers, I'd use them at every opportunity but although I'm a gadget fiend, it's a gadget too far for me.
We all have our limits(y) I just haven't found mine yet.

Martin

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I have an "it'll do" app, which I use in conjunction with the G & T spirit level with a follow up check with the bathroom door level; then, if I don't roll out of bed, the MH must be nearly level, and if I do roll out of bed, the G &T method alleviates any distress!

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Our present van, Pilote G600 is extremely nose down even on level ground, and having the washroom across the back if we don't get it about level the washroom door swings out and clashes on the kitchen bench. If on a sloping pitch, we have to position the front wheels on the highest part of the pitch or even the milenco quatro ramps aren't high enough. So our measure of level is if the washroom door stays pushed too, that's level enough for us

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg

Wanted to post this yesterday when the thread started but wifi to slow, nothing spilling so Helen level, sleep with head on the right.
Just arrived at St Hippolyte to try out an all the Aires location. Glad I got here when I did, there were two spaces when I got here now, none. I don't know if they are all planning to stay overnight like me. Have not tried my levelling device yet, too early for me.

Clive

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I pull up, pull the handbrake on say good enough. Don't care if I am on a slope or anything. But I have been fulltiming 8 years now and getting used to living at any angle is part of not having to use campsites all the time.

If I am on a rally field I will move forward or back a couple of feet to get the best angle at most.. But other than that, it is what it is...

I do appreciate all you lot who use ramps though. Gives me plenty of entertainment :D although not quite as much as tuggers putting the awnings up :p

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
View attachment 164585

Wanted to post this yesterday when the thread started but wifi to slow, nothing spilling so Helen level, sleep with head on the right.
Just arrived at St Hippolyte to try out an all the Aires location. Glad I got here when I did, there were two spaces when I got here now, none. I don't know if they are all planning to stay overnight like me. Have not tried my levelling device yet, too early for me.

Clive
Would it be better with a glass that was perfectly made, ie without one side higher than the other ... :D2

upload_2017-5-24_16-8-54.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back