Is this a con?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barclaybasher, May 22, 2014.

1. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

The day after I listed my van on ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321411192301?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I get a message through ebay from someone who has just joined- no feedback

"I'd like to go ahead buy the Motorhome . however - we live in the far north of Scotland near Aberdeen and what I'd like to do is pay you a deposit today to secure the van and then pay you the balance on the day we we go down to pick it up -
    We will be doing a bike race quite near wher you live on the 14th June ( Ashton-On-Ribble, Preston, Lancashire, PR2 1SG- I think its reasonably close ? ) so we could take the train with our bikes to Derby on the previous Thursday 12th June and we could figure out a way to get to your place or if you had time you might be able to meet us at the railway station ? or whatever - we might be able to get a taxi big enough to take us and our bikes .
    You could then show us the Motorhome and how everything works - We'll drive it to the race and back to Scotland afterwards - If this suggestion is acceptable -please let me know soonest - let me know also how much of a deposit you need"

If it's a con - how does it work?

• Like Like x 1
  2. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

simple answer

1, call land line number or ask them for works number check this on google then call..
    2,, ask them for there home address within a second google it ,,,
    3, forget deposit etc, mines was in leeds im from glasgow if its what you want you will travel ,
    4 dont give bank details , nothing no address or anything untill you have checked them out,,
    if in doubt pull out,, :thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  3. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

ps nice motorhome

good price.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I would also check if there is a bike race on the day at that location,
    If they are genuine they will happily give you information for you to confirm this,
    Just be sensible and cautious,

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

It looks like its a con yes. The con works when they want to pay the deposit, asking for your PayPal account or even a bank account details. I don't know exactly how they perform the fraud but it goes along the lines of depositing money by using stolen details or credit card, you receive notification it is in your PayPal account. They then come up with an excuse they are unable to get, or some tragic story that prevents them making their dream purchase and ask for a refund from you. Usually by a debit card / credit card transfer to a bank account or PayPal or whatever. They get your money, then several days later, you are notified the PayPal deposit made to your account was unauthorized / fraudulent and there you are out of pocket.
    There are many ways they can deceive innocent sellers, the problem arises when the seller throws caution to the wind in the hope of selling at the asking price, no quibble and the promise of the money in hand.
    The main thing to bear in mind is that many of the culprit live in foreign lands and web type fraud is their career. By reading their email to you carefully, you will see that the author has not quite grasped the English language and certain words are missing or in the wrong context.
    You could send a eBay message reply agreeing and see what comes back. I bet it will be a request for PayPal account or bank account details, but do not go any further with the contact. I'll await your update and I'll then add a little tale of a guy we had dealings with that was ordering all and sundry on line at the expense of unbeknown card holders.
    Well done for spotting it though, good call.:thumb::thumb:
    Lance

• Like Like x 2
  6. cranky

cranky Funster

would you pay a deposit on it before looking at it? I know I wouldn't. Why would he?

• Like Like x 1
  7. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

There certainly is a bike race then - see here

Does seem strange to buy something that expensive sight unseen. Look out for dodgy Banker's Drafts :Eeek:

Cheers

8. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Maybe I am too suspicious but I wouldn't pay a deposit without looking either.

Did get a name and a landline number - van is a good price but it seems too good to be true......................

9. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

????

Wick and Thurso are in the far north.. not Aberdeen, it is in the N East..

may be wrong, but I don't think anyone who lived there would give it that description....

that makes me suspicious.. go with the other advice.. scam.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

What you have to bear in mind is that these people have to progress in order to give a plausible front and appear genuine. Just look at this short thread, the different responses. 'Seems strange to pay deposit without seeing van', ' Could be van theyre looking for and don't want to miss it.'
    ' I think its genuine, there is a race on in Preston, why would they say that if......... ' - THAT IS EXACTLY WHY, a bit of research, a plausible excuse to be in the area and they've already convinced one funster they are 'genuine buyers'.
    This is what they do, this is what seperates a shite fraudster from the one that convinces you they are genuine. This person may well be genuine, I'm not convinced, so how will we progress this? Post the name and telephone number on here, then send your eBay message asking for £500 deposit to retain the van and await your reply, it will be within minutes and let's see what they ask for. :thumb::thumb:
    Lance

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

Does sound dodgy but no harm in accepting a deposit via pay pal as long as you dont accept the final payment in anything other than a trip to the bank. Oh and tell him that the deposit would be non refundable.

I've been told that the fraudsters send a fake notification that the money has been deposited in your pay pal account.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

I have to agree with Jim, Aberdonians, which by their written English they obviously are not, do not describe themselves as living far North, I personally think its a scam, if you cannot meet them they are going to put bikes into a taxi with them. Have they asked how far you live from the station? To a cyclist of their following 10 miles would be an easy cycle, yet apart from getting them into a taxi to get to you, never mention cycling.

Personally I would string them along for as long as possible, set up a spoof paypal account, so yours is not compromised, and as we say in Scotland (West anyway) just rip their knitting till they leave you alone, but lots of fun playing with them.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The scam only seems to work if you give them their deposit back. Why would you do that, I thought the whole point of a deposit is that it is non-refundable.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

I'm from Aberdeen, and have never considered myself from the far North, I live near Glasgow now and have never had my knitting ripped :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Movinon

Movinon Funster

It smells scammy. If they're that keen they should be down on the train asap with cash to inspect the van and hold it until they collect, with cash or a bank transfer at your bank at that time. Who commits to buying a vehicle without inspection? It reeks of trouble.

Personally I would tell them no deposit required but the van will got to the first person who offers the required price. If that doesn't get them moving then they would only have messed you around at some point anyway. If they dawdle and someone else comes up with the readies then what do you care.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Voyger1010

Voyger1010 Funster

Yep totally agree with Movinon, take care, once they pay you a deposit
    they will drag it out and of course it will be off the market for any legit buyers. Then they will try to get you to accept a lower price because of course you have their deposit fraudulent or not.
    Sold a large boat once and had the same done to me
    and of course then the decision to wait or give them the deposit back becomes a problem for you.
    If they want it then they should come to see it and pay you cash or bank transfer for total amount at the time, if they can't or won't, then the Motorhome is available for anyone who comes along with the readies
    Hope that helps:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  18. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

I'm always suspicious of anyone who feels the need to go into so much detail about the ins and outs of how they are going to do something, why would you care how they got there as long as they did?
    I'm also very wary of people who ask, "Is this acceptable to you?".... no native English speaker would talk that way.
    Of course, they may be Eastern European and I have sold a great deal of stuff through ebay to Eastern Europeans with no problems whatsoever but my personal gut instinct screams, "NO!!!!"....

• Like Like x 3
  19. Phill D

Phill D

Yep i Agree a probable scam,

Tell them you have other parties interested in the van so you cannot take their deposit as this would not allow you to let others view the van, you would be pleased to show them around the van and if they called you before leaving home to see the van you would tell them if its still available. Oh and its a non refundable cash deposit after viewing the van and the full cash balance on collection.

• Like Like x 4
  20. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster