is there a reccomended number of Panels

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by laird of Dunstan, Feb 11, 2016.

1. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Hi Guys
    How much wattage in solar panels will give me a reasonable level of power? i was thinking of 300w of panels , any reccomendations? I will have a satalite TV/internet system , im looking at 200 AH of batterys but after i have the underslung gas tanks fitted ,i was going to up this to around 400 AH,depending on weigh etc.

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The only recommendation is as much solar and battery capacity as you can as space and weight will allow you.

The more batteries you have the longer you will last off grid and the more solar you have the quicker you will replace what you use.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It all depends how much power you actually need. Over the last 4 years, because our electrical power usage is low, we've managed perfectly well from February to November inclusive with a 80W panel and a 85Ah battery.

It will be worth working out what your power consumption is likely to be before making a final decision.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

LOL as many as would fit! I have three 130W panels and currently 6 x 135Ah leisure batteries, a 100amp multi stage AC charger and a 2000w Pure sine wave inverter in series on the "ring" main

If your having the Oyster Internet system fitted it is fully 12 volt, just make sure that there is some method for turning off the Newtec SES router as it comes with a voltage converter as it is actually a domestic unit and the AC transformer output is 18VDC

I would always suggest to people that you consider having a decent battery computer installed so you know what is actually going in and out of your batteries a lot more use than just a reading of what the solar set up is producing

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I seem to go against the grain about getting loads of solar panels, banks of batteries.

The advice I was given was find out first just how much power you actually need.
    When I got the van I went to Lyndon Top & didn't move for 4 days, still plenty of ooomph (technical term) left in the single 110Ah leisure battery.
    Since then I switched bulbs to LEDs.

So before going to the expense & added weight of first, additional batteries and then solar - find out how much elecktrickery you need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

Solar panels are like cold beers in the fridge.

You can never have too many.

JJ :cool:

PS. I post as a Rufty Tufty, Off Site, FullTime, Motorhomer... not as a Weekend Parked up at the Campsite with EHU one...

• Like Like x 3
  7. eddievanbitz

I agree up to a point. We often tell people not to bother to buy solar panels until they need them. Once that you have established that you need them, get as many as you can afford or have space for.

Also you do become used to be able to be off grid

• Like Like x 2
  8. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I do "off grid', in fact I think I've only been on ehu twice in the year I've had the MH.
    But my first outing to Lyndon Top was the longest (at 4 days) I've stayed in one spot so I guess my single battery gets sufficient topping up...

9. eddievanbitz

No doubt, everyone is different. The OP has said that he is installing an Oyster Internet system, so you would have to assume from that that his 12 volt usage is going to be high

We install these units and our 12 volt wireless router, and the 12 volt Modem and the 12 volt system all want juice let alone the HD TV that the system will supply

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2