Is the standard Fiat breakdown cover as good as separately purchased cover?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BobtheBass, Oct 4, 2016.

1. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

My new motorhome came with the standard Fiat 2 year breakdown cover. I know this covers Europe as well, but how does it compare in other respects with stand-alone cover you can buy say from your insurer? Does it cover the same things, if I had a puncture for example, would they come out to help? Or would I be better off buying cover myself? I accept there would then be an element of dual cover but it's not expensive for peace of mind.

2. Clarky

Clarky Funster

A fellow Carthago owner had a horrendous time when the gearbox failed on their new van just a few miles into a trip through France.
    It took weeks for Fiat to sort it out while they and their dog were stuck in a French hotel.
    If they had taken additional insurance they would probably been repatriated to the UK.
    If you are a member of Carthago Owners the details are on the Facebook group.

Richard.

3. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

We had 2 punctures on previous van both covered quickly by Fiat - both quickly -
    We would be happy to use Fiat assist again and not take out extra cover - to each his own

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tony Roberts

Tony Roberts

Had a puncture in France. No reply from Fiat when we rang so got it sorted ourselves. They refused to reimburse us.

5. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

From what has been said to me when asking about Hymer breakdown is that it is YOUR RESPONSIBILTY to get it to the base makers nearest dealer, for MB but FIAT might have a better system. Still need to have cover, I use Nationwide Bank account just in case.
    Makers warranty seems to be be rather bad in some ways. standard answer TAKE it back to the seller dealer,

6. nelly

nelly Funster

I wondered the same thing and toyed with the idea of not having the insurers breakdown cover but it is cheap and i decided to keep it just for peace of mind. I did use it once on my old van and it worked great in Germany. I know it is a bit doubled up but so be it.

Neil

7. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Pay £75k for a motorhome then risk being stuck in the middle of France while waiting for a Fiat dealer to turn up? The Fiat warranty is based on commercial vehicles i.e. they would lend you another Ducato if they cannot fix it immediately not another motorhome. It is cheap covering yourself through your insurance or Nationwide; why take a risk for a couple of hundred pounds or .3% of the purchase price.

8. cornish boy

cornish boy Funster

We have just taken delivery of a new Kon Tiki based on a Fiat chassis cab and it comes as standard with 3 years 'Fiat Camper Assist' which is an European wide breakdown and recovery product and supported by a very neat app on the iPhone (could well be an android version as well) and operated by the RAC on Fiat's behalf.

Having looked at what the Fiat product offers, it is very much focused on Motorhomes rather than being based on commercial vehicles and offers a good all round package to recover, repair or repatriate our 8.5m+ motorhome and its passengers.

The app adds a number of additional features and benefits including nearest parking, nearest campsite as well as things such as checking the chassis number for any up-dates and warranty recalls each time you log in.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. rickwiggans

rickwiggans Funster

We've needed Fiat Assist twice, once each on different vehicles, both times in France. Cannot speak highly enough.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

& ADAC is even cheaper (y)

11. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

OP was talking about the standard 2 year Fiat offering. Your package appears more like what is required for a motorhome, recognising the weakness of the standard offering.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jasz

Jasz Funster

It's worth reading through the Fiat Camper Assist paperwork that comes with the new van. On the face of it, it looks as though it's for 3 years but ours did say that for motorhomes it's 2 years. I'm not quite sure what gets the 3 year cover - possibly van conversions?

13. petethemover

petethemover Funster

Had to call on Camper Assist for a slow puncture, whilst in Scotland. Couldn't fault the call centre or the tyre guy that came out. 5/5.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pyro

pyro Funster

Our experience with Fiat has been second to none, fast, responsive and helpful. We have and additional cover, but we prefer to be safe than sorry

• Like Like x 1