Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I guess everyone who gets another van runs into loads of minor issues ... sorry for asking loads of questions but when we turn the knob for lifting the lid on the kitchen fan it only moves about an inch. I thought the lid should lift right up. Am I wrong or is it stuck? If it is what should I do about it? Thanks folks, Mags

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Mags,
Ours was stuck when we bought our first van. Yes it should open fully. I just took it apart, lubricated, and reassembled. Not as scary as it looks once you start.
Good luck (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Used to happen on my old van. I used to keep winding knob backwards and forwards and it would free its self,,,suppose i should have lubricated it when open. BUSBY.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I had the same problem on my old Autotrail. It was due to the mechanism sticking. A quick spray with WD40. It is easier if yiu get on the roof but can be done from below if you use the long tube inserted in the nozzle. If you look you will see like a rod inside a tube for want of a better description, it was that what was causing the problem

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had one on our caravan, I used the Busby approach to fixing, forced it :D

got away with it in my ownership period at least

I seem to remember ours stuck closed, I wasn't even sure which way to turn the knob, until it pinged up (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
This may sound completely crackers but we had a problem similar to this in that our roof fan lid worked properly one day and the next time we tried it would only open about an inch. Totally baffled I climbed up the ladder to the roof and found that in using the directional TV aerial to search for stations, I had turned it through 90 deg and when it was lowered down again it was almost resting on the roof fan lid.
Perhaps worth a look?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We had the main roof light stick. It would only open very slightly and needed a good push to open without straining the winder mechanism. The cause? The rubber seal that the roof light rests on was sticking to it. Problem resolved by a small dose of seal lubricant. This on a one year old van......

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our caravan one used to jam sometimes, it only lifted at one side and would twist and jam sometimes I used to help by poking it with something suitable from the kitchen drawer, just poke the opposite side, failing that fix it properly.

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its an omnivent then no need to go on the roof.

Simply remove the four screws holding the fly screen in place then drop the screen.
That gives access to the lid from indoors.
Use something to carefully push up the lid while turning the knob.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I always lift the lid as I turn the knob as that makes up for the terrible mechanical advantage it has at the start of the opening, cannot hardly lift the lid using the mechanism alone.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
The raising / lowering mechanism only works one side of the vent, which is a bit of a design flaw I think, but as said, a bit of WD40 applied via the tube that comes with the can, will do the trick. We don't twist the knob to lock it shut, as I think this may "wring" the mechanism, so we just close it until we hear it hit the roof and leave it.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back