Is the age of a tyre only on 1 side? (1 Viewer)

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
just thought I would check the ages of my tyres as i changed 4 last year and I thought I would change the others this year. I can find the age easily on 3 of them but i can't find the date on the 3 others. I contacted Michelin and they said that the age might only be on 1 side of the tyre! Am I being daft or is this daft! The chap i spoke to said to take the wheel off to check! I think i'll have to get a mirror and a torch out!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
and the reason it's only on one side of the tyre..

when the tyre is moulded , the aluminium date label is simply laid into the bottom half of the mould..

this is a Bag-O-Matic tyre moulding machine in the closed position.
when it opens, the top half of the mould moves up vertically and back .. so it wouldn't be possible to have a date label in the top half of the mould.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Thanks Jim, very interesting! So i guess the message is always make sure that the fitters put the tyres on with the date on the outside?

By the way, the fridge is fixed! Turns out that the guy who fitted the new power PCB last year didn't route the ribbon cable correctly and it pulled,out slightly and hence the error code 14!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back